+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question about a break in between changing schools.

champr16

Mar 27, 2020
Hey everybody, I need some advice in regards to my study permit expiration in between changing schools.

I applied and got accepted into British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) and the semester starts in September. I took a break from my previous school that started from the 6th of January.
I called IRCC and they said that if you are not actively pursuing studies, there is a 150 days period in which the study permit will expire after. They suggested me to apply for a visitor record.

Do I have to change my status back to a student before I start school again? If so, what would this process entail? Another option would be to study in the summer semester in my previous school. Any help would be appreciated, thank you for your time.

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
If you dont study you will need to switch to visitor then apply for another study permit
If you extend, you will need to apply for study extension one for your current school and then again for your other school

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Would extending be easier than changing to visitor and applying for another study permit?
Unless you go back to school between now and September, you must change your status to visitor. If you exceed the 150 days without studying, your permit will be invalid.

Also note that until you return to full-time studies in September, you are not allowed to work.

champr16

Mar 27, 2020
Unless you go back to school between now and September, you must change your status to visitor. If you exceed the 150 days without studying, your permit will be invalid.

Also note that until you return to full-time studies in September, you are not allowed to work.
Thanks, should've used the term invalid instead of expire. Is the process for applying for another study permit inside Canada similar to when applying from outside?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks, should've used the term invalid instead of expire. Is the process for applying for another study permit inside Canada similar to when applying from outside?
You have to apply to a VO outside of Canada. As a visitor, you will not be able submit an app to change your status within Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No, I haven't finished the program yet.

Thanks, think I am going to continue studying in the semester instead since it would be the safer choice.
What happened this semester? If you didn’t attend school and didn’t advise CIC that you were changing programs you could have already been reported as a no show and had your study permit cancelled.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
What happened this semester? If you didn’t attend school and didn’t advise CIC that you were changing programs you could have already been reported as a no show and had your study permit cancelled.
It's not an immediate cancellation. OP still has time.

champr16

Mar 27, 2020
I decided to not take the winter semester because the credits doesn't transfer between my old and new school. I asked the international student advisors and IRCC, they both told me that there is a 150 days period of not actively pursuing studies before my study permit becomes invalid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I decided to not take the winter semester because the credits doesn't transfer between my old and new school. I asked the international student advisors and IRCC, they both told me that there is a 150 days period of not actively pursuing studies before my study permit becomes invalid.
The school be reporting you within 90 days if you have not gonna online to advise CIC that you are changing schools snd you have been accepted into another program. The 150 days is the length of time you can be on authorized leave. If you stop attending school, have not been accepted to another program and gone online to change your school information you aren’t on authorized leave. Some students may have just dropped out and have no intention of returning to school. Schools should be reporting around the 90 day mark but not all of them do. Would encourage you to go online and change your school information.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Hey everybody, I need some advice in regards to my study permit expiration in between changing schools.

I applied and got accepted into British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT) and the semester starts in September. I took a break from my previous school that started from the 6th of January.
I called IRCC and they said that if you are not actively pursuing studies, there is a 150 days period in which the study permit will expire after. They suggested me to apply for a visitor record.

Do I have to change my status back to a student before I start school again? If so, what would this process entail? Another option would be to study in the summer semester in my previous school. Any help would be appreciated, thank you for your time.
You're not taking a break, you're dropping out. In this case your study permit would have been invalidated and youv have 90 days from 6th January to leave the country, by that time you'll be out of status. Following which, you have to apply for a new study permit for your course, since your new course in September is 150 days from 6th January.

champr16

Mar 27, 2020
The school be reporting you within 90 days if you have not gonna online to advise CIC that you are changing schools snd you have been accepted into another program. The 150 days is the length of time you can be on authorized leave. If you stop attending school, have not been accepted to another program and gone online to change your school information you aren’t on authorized leave. Some students may have just dropped out and have no intention of returning to school. Schools should be reporting around the 90 day mark but not all of them do. Would encourage you to go online and change your school information.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/prepare-arrival/study-permit-conditions.html
You're not taking a break, you're dropping out. In this case your study permit would have been invalidated and youv have 90 days from 6th January to leave the country, by that time you'll be out of status. Following which, you have to apply for a new study permit for your course, since your new course in September is 150 days from 6th January.
I will contact CIC and my school again to verify the information. This has been stressing me out quite a bit, thanks guys.