Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
Hello,

I became a permanent resident in March 2014 with a valid passport at the time that expired in November 2015. I didn't have a valid passport between then and November 2016 when I renewed in order to travel outside of Canada the next month for a trip. In Question 6E, it asks to explain any gaps between validity in passport(s) / travel document(s).

Now I am simply going to put down "Had no plans to leave Canada during the time period and therefore didn't renew my passport."

Is this sufficient? A little confused why they want to know this and/or if there is an obligation of some sort to always have a valid passport or travel document? Any help is appreciated!

user828

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2012
Vancouver
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi ( Parents Sponsorship )
App. Filed.......
19-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
That sounds about right, basically, they want to know why you were "passportless" ( for lack of better word )
I guess they want a continuation or somewhere where it can be recorded where you travelled etc, could be more for security too
But isnt this still the old form?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I became a permanent resident in March 2014 with a valid passport at the time that expired in November 2015. I didn't have a valid passport between then and November 2016 when I renewed in order to travel outside of Canada the next month for a trip. In Question 6E, it asks to explain any gaps between validity in passport(s) / travel document(s).

Now I am simply going to put down "Had no plans to leave Canada during the time period and therefore didn't renew my passport."

Is this sufficient? A little confused why they want to know this and/or if there is an obligation of some sort to always have a valid passport or travel document? Any help is appreciated!
Hi

There is no legal requirement to always have a valid passport or travel document. Basically, they are trying to make sure that you weren't travelling on another passport during this time. People have been known to conceal the existence of other passports from IRCC and use them to travel while claiming that they were in Canada by showing that their known passport was expired.

I would expand on your explanation by explaining the proofs that you can show proving you were in Canada during that time. They may or may not request these further proofs.