+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUESTION #5 Name Change Inquiry & Mailing Error

dustincarlisle

Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Hello Future Canadians,

I hope someone can help me figure out.
So I got my PR Oct2014, but got married here in Canada last 2013. The name in all of my documents that I used including my PR documents is my maiden name. I never changed and have not changed my name since then. So what I did, I answered "NO" in Question #5: Have you changed your name or sex designation since becoming a PR? I put N/A in Question #6: List all names that you have used, including name at birth, maiden name, previously married name, aliases & nicknames.

But I submitted my Marriage Cert because I have the intention of changing my last name to Married name. Because of that, I know I failed in Question #5. I just realized that I should have chosen "YES" and not the "NO" so it will populate a field where to indicate my desired name to appear on the citizenship certificate. I don't know what to do. Do you think the whole application (along with my husband's) will be returned? I hope the officer will call me instead of returning the whole package back.

One more mistake is that my husband mailed the package thru canada post via regular mail (snail mail)but the address in the package is the one for the courier :(

My mind is been spinning since last week because of these mistakes!!!
Your thoughts please, thank you very much :)
Goodluck to each and everyone of us :)

cannewmem

Jan 17, 2018
I believe you could wait until your citizen application processed and then change your name on the passport to your married name. By the way, what have you answered for question# 6 then ? Did you list your married name as you already submitted marriage certificate?

dustincarlisle

Apr 30, 2014
Canada
I believe you could wait until your citizen application processed and then change your name on the passport to your married name. By the way, what have you answered for question# 6 then ? Did you list your married name as you already submitted marriage certificate?
Hi, thanks for your reply. Passport name is based on the Citizenship certificate I believe, so if my Maiden Name is printed on it, then my passport will show Maiden Name as well. If I would like my Married Name to appear then I need to request for name change in the citizenship cert as soon as I get it in the oath. With regards to your question, I did not list my Married Name because I never changed my name yet even after our Marriage.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi, thanks for your reply. Passport name is based on the Citizenship certificate I believe, so if my Maiden Name is printed on it, then my passport will show Maiden Name as well. If I would like my Married Name to appear then I need to request for name change in the citizenship cert as soon as I get it in the oath. With regards to your question, I did not list my Married Name because I never changed my name yet even after our Marriage.
Wrong!

Once you get your oath, you will get the citizenship certificate with your maiden name.
You don't need to change your citizenship certificate to married name.

Once you get oath, get your drivers license, health card, credit cards, sin card etc changed by showing your marriage certificate.
Once done, visit any passport canada office and show your IDs with new name and show your marriage certificate and that way you can have the passport with your married name.

Here are the details:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html

Reactions: nagrish

dustincarlisle

Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Wrong!

Once you get your oath, you will get the citizenship certificate with your maiden name.
You don't need to change your citizenship certificate to married name.

Once you get oath, get your drivers license, health card, credit cards, sin card etc changed by showing your marriage certificate.
Once done, visit any passport canada office and show your IDs with new name and show your marriage certificate and that way you can have the passport with your married name.

Here are the details:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/change-name.html
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I know the site that you have mentioned above. I checked that before already. I would like to emphasize below "LEGAL NAME CHANGES" from that site:

Legal name changes
Before you apply for a passport after a legal name change, you must get issued a new:
  • birth certificate or
  • citizenship certificate
It says that before I apply for passport after I've done with the name change (license, SIN, health card, etc), I need myself a newly issued Citizenship Certificate.

Sorry, that part really confuses me :(

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I know the site that you have mentioned above. I checked that before already. I would like to emphasize below "LEGAL NAME CHANGES" from that site:

Legal name changes
Before you apply for a passport after a legal name change, you must get issued a new:
  • birth certificate or
  • citizenship certificate
It says that before I apply for passport after I've done with the name change (license, SIN, health card, etc), I need myself a newly issued Citizenship Certificate.

Sorry, that part really confuses me :(

Changing surname after marriage (taking husband's surname) does not require legal name change. Just using marriage certificate is more than sufficient. Legal name change is a separate process. I am not sure why there is so much confusion. Feel free to ask.

dustincarlisle

Apr 30, 2014
Canada
Changing surname after marriage (taking husband's surname) does not require legal name change. Just using marriage certificate is more than sufficient. Legal name change is a separate process. I am not sure why there is so much confusion. Feel free to ask.
Thank you for explanation, I really appreciate it. At least now I know that there is no need for me to apply for new Canadian Certificate prior to Passport app. Thanks :)