+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Question 14 on the Citizenship Application

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
I have two passports during my 5 year eligibility period. The current (valid passport) was issued prior to the expiry of the older passport. So the current passport was issued on 2020-03-20 and the previous passport expired on 2020-04-12. When I indicate these dates (as per the biographical page) and validate the citizenship application form, I get an error saying that the field 'if you do not have a travel document or passport that was/is valid during your five year eligibility period or if there is a gap between your passports please explain why here' cannot be left empty.
Even though in my case there is no gap between the passports and there is actually an overlap in the dates, this error appears. Did anyone experience this? Any suggestions?

Also should the passports by ordered by the most recent first?

icykool23

Star Member
Dec 11, 2016
I have two passports during my 5 year eligibility period. The current (valid passport) was issued prior to the expiry of the older passport. So the current passport was issued on 2020-03-20 and the previous passport expired on 2020-04-12. When I indicate these dates (as per the biographical page) and validate the citizenship application form, I get an error saying that the field 'if you do not have a travel document or passport that was/is valid during your five year eligibility period or if there is a gap between your passports please explain why here' cannot be left empty.
Even though in my case there is no gap between the passports and there is actually an overlap in the dates, this error appears. Did anyone experience this? Any suggestions?

Also should the passports by ordered by the most recent first?
You will enter it like this, since new one was issued on 20-March-2020. You will put old one's last date as 19-March-2020 and new one is then active from 20-March-2020 onwards. That way, you don't have overlap and it shouldn't give issues.

tammy_z

Star Member
Sep 4, 2020
You will enter it like this, since new one was issued on 20-March-2020. You will put old one's last date as 19-March-2020 and new one is then active from 20-March-2020 onwards. That way, you don't have overlap and it shouldn't give issues.

Thank you. So it is not an issue to list a different expiry date than what is printed on the passport?

icykool23

Star Member
Dec 11, 2016
Thank you. So it is not an issue to list a different expiry date than what is printed on the passport?
You are not trying to hide anything here, should be fine either way. If one asks, you can explain the reasoning behind it.

icykool23

Star Member
Dec 11, 2016
Normally, here if you renew your passport earlier, they void the old one. So that's why using option 1 should be the best way to go.

You will put old one's last date as 19-March-2020 and new one is then active from 20-March-2020 onwards. That way, you don't have overlap and it shouldn't give issues.

Reactions: tammy_z