+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

question 13- immigration status

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
Any thoughts why CIC has introduced new question number 13? Why do they need it? I think it wasn't present in previous forms. What is meant be immigration status: long term visa, tourist/work visa or just permanent residency or it's analogs? Can any immigration statuses be a problem for obtaining citizenship?

Theoretically I can't see that an immigration status in any country can be considered as a material fact for citizenship. Therefore if it's omitted can it make a ground for citizenship revocation?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Any thoughts why CIC has introduced new question number 13? Why do they need it? I think it wasn't present in previous forms. What is meant be immigration status: long term visa, tourist/work visa or just permanent residency or it's analogs? Can any immigration statuses be a problem for obtaining citizenship?

Theoretically I can't see that an immigration status in any country can be considered as a material fact for citizenship. Therefore if it's omitted can it make a ground for citizenship revocation?
The old form had two questions:
"Which countries are you a citizen of?"
"In which countries do you have PR or comparable status?"

They merged that question into one single question.

Having immigration status somewhere else will not keep you from getting citizenship. They simply want that to make sure that your whole "story" regarding residences is plausible.

Most importantly: If you had such a status in another country but you do NOT declare it, that is misrepresentation and a reason for revocation of citizenship, now, in ten years or in twenty years. Never omit information or lie.

mreda13

Star Member
Nov 28, 2016
Do I need to declare residence visas? I had residence visa in Dubai until 2013. Is it considered "immigration status" or not?

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
The old form had two questions:
"Which countries are you a citizen of?"
"In which countries do you have PR or comparable status?"

They merged that question into one single question.

Having immigration status somewhere else will not keep you from getting citizenship. They simply want that to make sure that your whole "story" regarding residences is plausible.

Most importantly: If you had such a status in another country but you do NOT declare it, that is misrepresentation and a reason for revocation of citizenship, now, in ten years or in twenty years. Never omit information or lie.
Does it mean that now we should only list citizenships and/or permanent statuses in other countries? Long-term visas like the ones that allow to stay in EU countries more than 3 month in a row are not counted?

Out of curiosity, citizenship could be revoked in case someone has omitted or misrepresented a material fact that otherwise could've prohibit the grant of citizenship. If information about immigration status can't keep anybody from getting citizenship, how can it be considered as a misrepresentation of a material fact?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Does it mean that now we should only list citizenships and/or permanent statuses in other countries? Long-term visas like the ones that allow to stay in EU countries more than 3 month in a row are not counted?

Out of curiosity, citizenship could be revoked in case someone has omitted or misrepresented a material fact that otherwise could've prohibit the grant of citizenship. If information about immigration status can't keep anybody from getting citizenship, how can it be considered as a misrepresentation of a material fact?
Sorry my mistake: It's true, now you have to list any immigration status, formerly you only had to list PR and equivalent and citizenship.

Regarding the misrepresentation: Yes, I would agree hat one could argue it is not a material fact. There is a high chance you would win the court case if they tried to revoke your citizenship. What I mean is: it's not worth risking it.

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
Sorry my mistake: It's true, now you have to list any immigration status, formerly you only had to list PR and equivalent and citizenship.

Regarding the misrepresentation: Yes, I would agree hat one could argue it is not a material fact. There is a high chance you would win the court case if they tried to revoke your citizenship. What I mean is: it's not worth risking it.
Now I just need to figure out what is immigration status. Long term Schengen tourist/business visas or student visas to learn language, or citizens of my country can go to live and work to Russia without any additional documents. If that status is an immigration one?

How often do they revoke citizenships now after the latest court decision?Is there any statistics?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Now I just need to figure out what is immigration status. Long term Schengen tourist/business visas or student visas to learn language, or citizens of my country can go to live and work to Russia without any additional documents. If that status is an immigration one?
From my point of view, if you simply used the schengen visa to VISIT european countries as a tourist, then no need to declare that. If you had a schengen visa as a STUDENT, declare it. If you had a schengen visa to WORK, declare it. If you used your special rights to VISIT Russia visa free, don't declare it. If you sused your special rights to WORK in Russia visa free, declare it.

And so on.

Reactions: irieempress

IvanVano

Aug 29, 2017
From my point of view, if you simply used the schengen visa to VISIT european countries as a tourist, then no need to declare that. If you had a schengen visa as a STUDENT, declare it. If you had a schengen visa to WORK, declare it. If you used your special rights to VISIT Russia visa free, don't declare it. If you sused your special rights to WORK in Russia visa free, declare it.

And so on.
Thanks, that's more or less what I thought. What if there was a student visa that wasn't actually used or extended for some reason?

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
Thanks, that's more or less what I thought. What if there was a student visa that wasn't actually used or extended for some reason?
In that case: Do what you consider reasonable. There are no hard rules for that question really.

punk

Feb 15, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If your immigration status changes like you obtained a green card during the citizenship application of Canada, do you've to inform them of the change ?

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Can any one answer this question i dnt want to waste creating a thread again or refer me to the @spyfy faq thread thanks

vik999

Jul 4, 2014
GTA
Visa Office......
mississauga
Qs 13 Need help- Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in any country other than Canada, including your country of birth?

What is this question asking???
I was born in India, lived in US over 7 years on different visa. Would that apply that I need to give details for US visa...

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Qs 13 Need help- Have you ever had immigration or citizenship status in any country other than Canada, including your country of birth?

I was born in India, lived in US over 7 years on different visa. Would that apply that I need to give details for US visa...
Citizenship - India from birth date
If you were in US on H1/L1 I would recommend mentioning that as well. It is a non resident status but extra info in his case doesn't hurt your application.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018

I believe you should give the details for the US visa.

The question asks for "immigration or citizenship status", but the description lists a number of categories (worker, student) that are not necessarily immigration visas. So it seems best to declare any such status ever held.

Sky_01

Aug 13, 2014
In that case: Do what you consider reasonable. There are no hard rules for that question really.
Hi Spyfy, Can u please advise!

Should the US Visa R B1/B2 (Valid) and used Malaysia tourist visa be mentioned in immigration status (citizenship app. #13)

My new passport was issued prior to the expiry of the old passport. Therefore, the date of cancellation of the old passport should be mentioned or the one that's on the bio page.