+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query: Send your stuff before arriving in Canada

NFury

Nov 14, 2018
Hi Everyone,

need help with a query.

I am planning to go to Canada in May19. However, I want to send some stuff ( like clothes, a few kitchen utencils - no gadgets or appliances at all) to my relatives in Canada so that these are there before I reach.

Do I need to declare/mention it somewhere that I have done this, in my paperwork when arriving in Canada for the first time? please let me know.

Reason: reason i am sending before I reach - i work in a city which is not my hometown. If i do not send the required stuff now, i will first have to ship them to my hometown (as i am livinf in a rented house) and then again ship to canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

need help with a query.

I am planning to go to Canada in May19. However, I want to send some stuff ( like clothes, a few kitchen utencils - no gadgets or appliances at all) to my relatives in Canada so that these are there before I reach.

Do I need to declare/mention it somewhere that I have done this, in my paperwork when arriving in Canada for the first time? please let me know.

Reason: reason i am sending before I reach - i work in a city which is not my hometown. If i do not send the required stuff now, i will first have to ship them to my hometown (as i am livinf in a rented house) and then again ship to canada.
You have to wait until after you land before you send your personal belongings. If you do it ahead of time, you should expect to be charged duty and tax.

Reactions: bellaluna

NFury

Nov 14, 2018
You have to wait until after you land before you send your personal belongings. If you do it ahead of time, you should expect to be charged duty and tax.
Thank you Scylla for getting back on this. however I have a follow up query.

If I send some stuff via a courier, how it can be traced back to me to identify this as a PRE shipment. how would one know that its someone with a PR who is sending this before his arrival? not going the wrong way here but just need some clarity to take the right decision.

anyways if we send used clothes/utencils, still we are looking at duty and tax to be paid?

I have searched around too before posting here but there is almost no information available on this.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
If I send some stuff via a courier, how it can be traced back to me to identify this as a PRE shipment. how would one know that its someone with a PR who is sending this before his arrival? not going the wrong way here but just need some clarity to take the right decision.

anyways if we send used clothes/utencils, still we are looking at duty and tax to be paid?
The other side of the coin: How would your relatives prove that these personal items are theirs.... and hence, they should not be charged duty and taxes?