+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding proof of funds/goods declaration for first time landing in Toronto

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
Hi All

This is my first post. Any quick help/response will be very helpful

I am doing soft landing on 30th November 2017. I am quite confused about the proof of funds and Good declaration.

1) Is it fine if I carry some 1000-2000 CAD in cash and show rest of the amount as bank statements? I don't have much in property or bonds investment. What is about the CAD $10000 decelaration?
2) can someone throw some light on what is goods declaration? Specifically about jewwllery or valuable items? what all needs to be evaluated? whether we need to produce any bills for anything/
3) What all the documents you carried during your soft landing?
4) Is it illegal to ask someone to bring the my PR card?
Any quick Help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Shivam Bansal

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
Hi All

This is my first post. Any quick help/response will be very helpful

I am doing soft landing on 30th November 2017. I am quite confused about the proof of funds and Good declaration.

1) Is it fine if I carry some 1000-2000 CAD in cash and show rest of the amount as bank statements? I don't have much in property or bonds investment. What is about the CAD $10000 decelaration?
2) can someone throw some light on what is goods declaration? Specifically about jewwllery or valuable items? what all needs to be evaluated? whether we need to produce any bills for anything/
3) What all the documents you carried during your soft landing?
4) Is it illegal to ask someone to bring the my PR card?
Any quick Help will be appreciated.

Thanks
Shivam Bansal
Hi,

1. As long as you dont carry more than $10k you dont have to declare. You may want to bring the letters from the bank that you used for the PR application as proof of funds. If you can bring your latest bank statement that may help as well.
2. Note that if you are bringing in jewelry with you on your trip it will need to be added in as part of the $10k so if you have that amount worth then declare it. If not then no need to. There is a column that asks do you have unaccompanied goods. You tick yes if you have a shipment of your items coming in from your home country that you may be shipping in. That way you wont get taxed.
3. It would just be your passport and the COPR with the photo. I assume this is your first time and you have not been working in Canada before.
4. It is supposedly illegal to mail a PR card to you overseas but many people do it at their own risk. Not sure about asking someone to bring it for you.

Hope that helps.

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
Hi,

1. As long as you dont carry more than $10k you dont have to declare. You may want to bring the letters from the bank that you used for the PR application as proof of funds. If you can bring your latest bank statement that may help as well.
2. Note that if you are bringing in jewelry with you on your trip it will need to be added in as part of the $10k so if you have that amount worth then declare it. If not then no need to. There is a column that asks do you have unaccompanied goods. You tick yes if you have a shipment of your items coming in from your home country that you may be shipping in. That way you wont get taxed.
3. It would just be your passport and the COPR with the photo. I assume this is your first time and you have not been working in Canada before.
4. It is supposedly illegal to mail a PR card to you overseas but many people do it at their own risk. Not sure about asking someone to bring it for you.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the quick response.

Point No.1 - Sorted out. I have the bank statements and money less than $10K for sure. :) But another question is my wife is primary applicant and she is not working anymore. So does she need to show any proof that she has access to my funds or just carrying our bank statements will be enough?
Point No.2 - As I am doing a soft landing, I am not carrying much stuff right now and jewelry could be there but will be very minimal during current landing. But in future trip to Canada(2nd Trip I mean), If I have to bring the jewelry and other things, how can I bring those at that time? Do I need declare those somewhere or I don't have shipment planned as of now. But If I have a shipment planned that would follow, do i need to declare what all will come under that shipment?
Point No.3 - This is my first time. Never worked in Canada before. But don't they need any other document like my marriage certificate, Educational assessment document, Birth certificates etc.
Point No.4 - I am not planning to mail it to myself. I am asking a relative of mine to bring it to me when he travels to India. Will that be illegal?

Thanks
Shivam

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
If you are coming to Canada for soft landing, then you do not need to declare goods now. If some CBSA officer at POE asks you then tell him/her that you are in Canada for few days/weeks to just activate your PR. You are not settling down and are not establishing residence. You will finish custom formalities in next trip when you will come to Canada to establish residence and to settle down permanently.

If some ignorant CBSA officer still gives you trouble then take print of of below link with following text highlighted

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation

9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
If you are coming to Canada for soft landing, then you do not need to declare goods now. If some CBSA officer at POE asks you then tell him/her that you are in Canada for few days/weeks to just activate your PR. You are not settling down and are not establishing residence. You will finish custom formalities in next trip when you will come to Canada to establish residence and to settle down permanently.

If some ignorant CBSA officer still gives you trouble then take print of of below link with following text highlighted

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation

9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.

Hi

Thanks for clarifying it in a better way.

Can you give some information about other points too?

Thanks
Shivam

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
Thanks for the quick response.

Point No.1 - Sorted out. I have the bank statements and money less than $10K for sure. :) But another question is my wife is primary applicant and she is not working anymore. So does she need to show any proof that she has access to my funds or just carrying our bank statements will be enough?
Point No.2 - As I am doing a soft landing, I am not carrying much stuff right now and jewelry could be there but will be very minimal during current landing. But in future trip to Canada(2nd Trip I mean), If I have to bring the jewelry and other things, how can I bring those at that time? Do I need declare those somewhere or I don't have shipment planned as of now. But If I have a shipment planned that would follow, do i need to declare what all will come under that shipment?
Point No.3 - This is my first time. Never worked in Canada before. But don't they need any other document like my marriage certificate, Educational assessment document, Birth certificates etc.
Point No.4 - I am not planning to mail it to myself. I am asking a relative of mine to bring it to me when he travels to India. Will that be illegal?

Thanks
Shivam
1. The account is not a joint account? I think if you they ask your wife you can say that you have the funds and that it is for the family. Or you can just change your account to have her name in there if its easy to do. Just a suggestion
2. The next time you come if you have money and jewelry on you that is in access of CAD10k then declare it. Then if you have shipment coming later that is already on its way or about to then just tick the box with unaccompanied baggage. Think you should have some proof from the shipping company on what you are bringing and its value. This is mainly to avoid you getting taxed when clearing the items.
3. No they dont because you have already been granted a PR. All that has been accessed and is with the immigration department. For those already working in Canada you don't need proof of funds too. Just passport that has the immigration visa and the COPR. Remember to keep the COPR as it's your proof of PR once you do your landing. You also need it later if you want to become a citizen.
4. That is a better alternative to mailing it. Should be OK. However once you do your landing do link up your PR card application with you MyCIC account. You will need to link your wife and yours individually but you can use the same MyCIC. I'm assuming it will be your wife's account as she is the primary applicant. You can browse the other threads on all this.

Good luck

adrlim

Nov 18, 2016
On another note. Do get you SIN number, healthcard (Alberta has this) and open your bank accounts using your COPR once you do your landing. That way you have all these sorted once you finally move over.

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
Thank you everyone.

I have collected my documents which are
  • Passport for both
  • COPR for both
  • 1 PP photo for both
  • Proof of Funds in form of Bank statements.
  • No Pre-filled B4/B4A forms and not planning to fill the good accompying form there too as someone mentioned above that customs can be taken care in next visit.
  • Print out of the point mentioned by APPNOV2014NY
  • Will apply for SIN number once I reach there.
  • Some CAD cash which will be less than $10K.
  • Birth and marriage certificates
  • Travel Insurance
Do reply if you feel something more is needed.

Thanks
Shivam

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
Hi

So I finally made my landing on 30th November in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks for all the help and answers you people have given.
It was first an immigration check and then they asked us to go to one of the counters to do the first time landing. At the counter, they will ask for your COPR, some signatures on the COPR, how much cash you have bought etc. Take back your COPR as that is the important document when you apply for Citizenship. Then you can go apply for SIN number which is again important and should be kept confidential always. This process took like 30 minutes for me in total. Collected my luggage from the luggage racks and out I went from airport to explore Canada.

Thanks
Shivam Bansal

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Hi

So I finally made my landing on 30th November in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks for all the help and answers you people have given.
It was first an immigration check and then they asked us to go to one of the counters to do the first time landing. At the counter, they will ask for your COPR, some signatures on the COPR, how much cash you have bought etc. Take back your COPR as that is the important document when you apply for Citizenship. Then you can go apply for SIN number which is again important and should be kept confidential always. This process took like 30 minutes for me in total. Collected my luggage from the luggage racks and out I went from airport to explore Canada.

Thanks
Shivam Bansal
Terrific, Shivam- didn't they return 1 COPR to you?

shivam.bansal88

Star Member
Mar 16, 2016
Terrific, Shivam- didn't they return 1 COPR to you?
Yes they did. That's customer copy and they will keep one which is called as client copy. Right now waiting for my PR Card. I was going through the threads for the same. As I have come back by just doing soft landing, so a little worried that if something goes wrong, what all I can do.

Thanks
Shivam

Reactions: Jakev

al201508

May 13, 2018
Hey Shivam - I wanted to confirm, you didn’t take a jewelry appraisal for your soft landing? Also what did you say in the customs form for goods to declare?
Thanks much for your help.

Cheers

al201508

May 13, 2018
Hi

Thanks
Shivam Bansal
Hey Shivam - I wanted to confirm, you didn’t take a jewelry appraisal for your soft landing? Also what did you say in the customs form for goods to declare? Did you have any trouble between leaving after landing and getting your PR card? Did you fly both ways?
Thanks much for your help.

cnd_grl

Dec 6, 2014
Hi,

My sister became a Permanent Resident in 2018 and she made a soft landing last year. She didn't submit the "Goods accompanying list" at that time. If she sends her personal used items via air cargo, will she be charged customs duty in Canada?

Wmp011

Jun 6, 2019
I will be doing my PR landing soon. In addition to having adequate physical cash/credit cards,I would like to bring in assets at a later date.
"Assets to follow" are in the form of stock, bonds and mutual funds and cash. So only Assets to follow. I am not bringing any goods at a later date.

Question: Do i make a detailed listing of my "Assets to follow", when i do my first landing and do i get the customer office to sign off, so that later in the year, I do not have a problem when I bring these assets in?