+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding Mobile Internet Unlimited International calls and Cable TV

Silvi6

Jan 17, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi All,

I am moving to Toronto. I would need your advice in getting below things:

1) Mobile SIM : preference is to get prepaid sim initially with 2-3 GB of internet. I wont be going with Contract, will bring my own phone.
any better option with postpaid ?
2) Home Internet : Which is the best Broadband service provider of course with lowest price.
3) Home Cable TV : Can we use Internet to Stream Cable network(like Indian channels)? Is there service for that?
4) Which Mobile company provides lowest international call rates ? My calling would be maximum to India. No US or other country.
If mobile companies are expensive for international calls, Shall I use calling cards or home phone with internet will be cheaper ? Or any other suggestion like any particular app ?

Please respond. I will really appreciate.

Thanks
Silvi

alok4best

Dec 19, 2014
Frankfurt
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
8-Dec-2014
Nomination.....
24-Feb-2015
AOR Received.
7-Apr-2015
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
7-Apr-2015
Med's Request
17-Jun-2015
Med's Done....
23-Jun-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-Jul-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-Aug-2015
LANDED..........
27-Nov-2015
Silvi6 said:
Hi All,

I am moving to Toronto. I would need your advice in getting below things:

1) Mobile SIM : preference is to get prepaid sim initially with 2-3 GB of internet. I wont be going with Contract, will bring my own phone.
any better option with postpaid ?
2) Home Internet : Which is the best Broadband service provider of course with lowest price.
3) Home Cable TV : Can we use Internet to Stream Cable network(like Indian channels)? Is there service for that?
4) Which Mobile company provides lowest international call rates ? My calling would be maximum to India. No US or other country.
If mobile companies are expensive for international calls, Shall I use calling cards or home phone with internet will be cheaper ? Or any other suggestion like any particular app ?

Please respond. I will really appreciate.

Thanks
Silvi
Hi Silvi. Me again.
1. Postpaid and Prepaid rates are more of less the same. For 2-3GB of data a month, expect to shell out around 70-80 Dollars a month.
2. Best broadband do not come with lowest prices. :) . You need to decide exactly what you want. Speeds and data limit. Depending on what you want, expect to pay in the range of 40-80 dollars a month. I have a Rogers connection. 67 dollars a month for 100Mbps, Unlimited data.
3. My suggestion, do not get a cable subscription. It's better to use an inexpensive indoor antenna which can get you 10-15 free over the air channels. Regarding Indian TV, there are really no good and legal options. You get android tv boxes which basically stream Indian channels from China based servers for around 300 odd dollars a year, but technically that's illegal. Rogers, Bell, etc, have some Asian packages, but the channel selection is really bad for the price. Long story short, unless you are okay using those China based streaming services, there are really no ways to watch Indian tv.
4. Not a good idea using mobile phones for calls to India. Better use a calling card or VOIP, like Vonage. For 30 odd dollars, Vonage will give you unlimited calls to India and many other countries.
I personally prefer prepaid credit as I don't need an unlimited voice plan. So I use a combination of Localphone and Google hangout. Localphone is 0.9 Canadian Cents a minute, Hangout is 1US cent a minute. I normally top up with 10 Dollars and it easily lasts 2 months or more for me. But then, I am really not a heavy phone user.

badpusacat

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FeDex-ed 26-06-13
Doc's Request.
15-10-2014/FeDex-ed 26-10
IELTS Request
included in the application
Med's Request
15-10-2014
Med's Done....
29-10-2014
Interview........
29-09-2014
Passport Req..
Nov 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Dec 2014
LANDED..........
July 2015
I agree with the answers of alok4best!

Let me share my experience (landed July 2015):

1. I want the best internet so my friend recommended Rogers. I went with Rogers and I don't have any regrets.

2. I have my own phone too so I took a monthly plan which doesn't have a contract (meaning: I can cancel my subscription anytime I want.). I guess the price varies depending if there is an offer but I'm paying $73 (with taxes) for 2GB reliable internet. It is so helpful when I am new here because I need to check maps and transit schedules online. I know someone who is using Wind and there are some places that they don't have a signal or it has a signal but the call doesn't got thru.

3. Our internet in the house where I rent a room is Telus and it works really well with FaceTime and FB Messenger calls - clear video and voice quality. I'm talking to different people all over the world. So I don't need to make a call, I do it by internet.

I hope it helps.