+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query regarding Criminality Clearance on GCMS notes?

Imsaurav

Star Member
Oct 8, 2017
Hello,

I have a query for my GCMS notes which I have received recently. The GCMS notes kept the Security section blank and showed the Criminality Clarence in process since 01/10/2018 since the time my application is In Process. In between I got finger print request on 03/12/2018 and did it on the same day. The GCMS notes also indicates the fingerprint is received and RCMP clearance as Y. Under this circumstances my question is which is holding my Criminality Clearance?

1. CSIS
2. RCMP
3. Local office has not updated the system

The following is the snap of my GCMS notes:

CLEARANCE REQUEST(S)
RCMP Y

ASSESSMENTS

Knowledge: Not Started
Residence: Not Started
Language: Not Started
Prohibition: Not Started
Criminality: In Process
Oath: Not Started
Discretionary Grant: N

However on detail Eligibility section for ELIGIBILITY ADULT PROHIBITIONS it is showing as Completed on 11/20/2017 the day I received AOR. My another question is why than the summary section of Assessments for Prohibition is showing as Not Started? Are Prohibition and ELIGIBILITY ADULT PROHIBITIONS the same thing?

The Security section has been intentionally left blank or the details were kept hidden.

On the Clearance section it is In Process since 01/10/2018 the day my file went to IP.

However under Criminality Section I have seen an interesting thing under Sub Activities. It shows the finger print request and there is a section called REFUSAL GROUNDS underneath that. It was as below:

REFUSAL GROUNDS:

Refusal Grounds: 1
Created Date: 2014/06/14 09:38:22
Created By: SADMIN
Updated Date: 2014/11/14 19:43:13
Updated By: SADMIN

I can not recall of any event or incident on 2014/06/14 or any time around that. Though I got a 2 demerit point on by an official on late August of 2014 not on June or before of 2014. What this could be? Is there any reason for me to worry? For info RCMP already has given me clearance.

I am an October, 2017 applicant of Montreal. Seeing no update for such a long time is really frustrating. Your opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I am an October, 2017 applicant of Montreal. Seeing no update for such a long time is really frustrating.
Not sure I follow this. Or is the date you applied a typo?

If not, if you just barely applied this past October it has NOT been a long time since you applied let alone since AOR or such. Let alone for someone who has received a request for additional information or documentation.

(Perhaps you noticed, IRCC is a bureaucracy, one of Canada's biggest bureaucracies. Bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do. Looking for speed? There's NASCAR in the U.S. Or, this coming weekend, Formula One right there in Montreal.)

The GCMS notes are basically useless. Especially regarding clearances. The notes tend to show default codes that do not reveal much if anything at all about the applicant in particular. Is there some particular reason you requested these?

There are many THOUSANDS of other October 2017 applicants who are in the same scenario, the WAIT-and-WATCH scenario.

If you know of NO reason why there should be any problem with your qualifications for citizenship, then the odds are very, very good there are NO problems.

Fair chance you will see notice of the next step by the end of the year. Or, possibly, next week. In the meantime, yep, wait-and-watch.

robreeves

Jun 24, 2014
Hello,

I have a query for my GCMS notes which I have received recently. The GCMS notes kept the Security section blank and showed the Criminality Clarence in process since 01/10/2018 since the time my application is In Process. In between I got finger print request on 03/12/2018 and did it on the same day. The GCMS notes also indicates the fingerprint is received and RCMP clearance as Y. Under this circumstances my question is which is holding my Criminality Clearance?

1. CSIS
2. RCMP

CLEARANCE REQUEST(S)
RCMP Y

ASSESSMENTS

However on detail Eligibility section for ELIGIBILITY ADULT PROHIBITIONS it is showing as Completed on 11/20/2017 the day I received AOR. My another question is why than the summary section of Assessments for Prohibition is showing as Not Started? Are Prohibition and ELIGIBILITY ADULT PROHIBITIONS the same thing?

The Security section has been intentionally left blank or the details were kept hidden.

On the Clearance section it is In Process since 01/10/2018 the day my file went to IP.

However under Criminality Section I have seen an interesting thing under Sub Activities. It shows the finger print request and there is a section called REFUSAL GROUNDS underneath that. It was as below:

REFUSAL GROUNDS:

I can not recall of any event or incident on 2014/06/14 or any time around that. Though I got a 2 demerit point on by an official on late August of 2014 not on June or before of 2014. What this could be? Is there any reason for me to worry? For info RCMP already has given me clearance.

I am an October, 2017 applicant of Montreal. Seeing no update for such a long time is really frustrating. Your opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance
The #1 by the refusal grounds is the log entry number. It does not mean that you have been refused entry.

If you look at the earlier sections, every time they do a check, say Criminality there will be "Criminality 1:, Criminality 2: and so on.

This confused me also but you should have to worry about it. I have the same entry. Beneath that entry it states "article description". So long as that's clear, you're fine

Imsaurav

Star Member
Oct 8, 2017
The #1 by the refusal grounds is the log entry number. It does not mean that you have been refused entry.

If you look at the earlier sections, every time they do a check, say Criminality there will be "Criminality 1:, Criminality 2: and so on.

This confused me also but you should have to worry about it. I have the same entry. Beneath that entry it states "article description". So long as that's clear, you're fine

Thank you for your reply. In my case the Article Description section is blank. Should it say Clear to be safe or you meant blank?

Imsaurav

Star Member
Oct 8, 2017
Not sure I follow this. Or is the date you applied a typo?

If not, if you just barely applied this past October it has NOT been a long time since you applied let alone since AOR or such. Let alone for someone who has received a request for additional information or documentation.

(Perhaps you noticed, IRCC is a bureaucracy, one of Canada's biggest bureaucracies. Bureaucracies are what bureaucracies do. Looking for speed? There's NASCAR in the U.S. Or, this coming weekend, Formula One right there in Montreal.)

The GCMS notes are basically useless. Especially regarding clearances. The notes tend to show default codes that do not reveal much if anything at all about the applicant in particular. Is there some particular reason you requested these?

There are many THOUSANDS of other October 2017 applicants who are in the same scenario, the WAIT-and-WATCH scenario.

If you know of NO reason why there should be any problem with your qualifications for citizenship, then the odds are very, very good there are NO problems.

Fair chance you will see notice of the next step by the end of the year. Or, possibly, next week. In the meantime, yep, wait-and-watch.

Dude I am doing the same thing wait and watch but it does not mean I should not check the status or what is causing the delay to my file.

My question was very simple, who does the criminality check RCMP or CSIS. RCMP has given clearance already so my second thought was whether it is CIC that did not update the file. If you can answer that it will be appreciated.

Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I do not know if you have any reason to worry. You should know. But GCMS will not help in this regard.

My sense is that you probably have no reason at all to worry. No reason to believe there is any delay in your case.

If you have a reason to worry, that is something you know or should know. Again, without GCMS notes.

Dude I am doing the same thing wait and watch but it does not mean I should not check the status or what is causing the delay to my file.

My question was very simple, who does the criminality check RCMP or CSIS. RCMP has given clearance already so my second thought was whether it is CIC that did not update the file. If you can answer that it will be appreciated.

Thanks
Actually your "question" was not simple. You asked for "opinion" about interpreting multiple aspects of what your GCMS notes show and for an opinion about not having received any update "for such a long time." (Full quote of OP below, which includes multiple questions about interpreting numerous details.)

Seeing no update for such a long time is really frustrating. Your opinion will be appreciated.
I offered an "opinion," as requested, which apparently is not one you were looking for. Sorry. But NO, your GCMS notes illuminate very, very little, virtually NOTHING. And, the premise underlying the questions was blatantly erroneous since, again, the GCMS notes do NOT offer any clues and moreover THERE IS NO HINT THERE IS ANY DELAY IN PROCESSING YOUR APPLICATION. NONE.

Yet, again you premise your question referencing:

". . . what is causing the delay to my file . . "

Foremost, again, THERE IS NO HINT THERE IS ANY DELAY IN PROCESSING YOUR APPLICATION. NONE.

Beyond that, odds are high that even if IRCC has some background or prohibitions concerns, obtaining clearances IS NOT causing any delay.

Whether there is any reason for you to worry about potential delays or problems in processing your application, the odds are very good there is NO reason to worry UNLESS you already know of a reason to worry . . . and what you know in that regard is a lot, lot, lot more than you will ever learn from the ATIP/GCMS request.

Now you ask:

". . . who does the criminality check RCMP or CSIS?"

You did NOT ask this question in the OP. The answer to this question is indeed simple: "criminality" checks are multifaceted and not the sole responsibility of any individual agency, and while there is a referral to the RCMP to conduct a thorough criminality check that is NOT the only criminality background check.

Indeed, the most important criminality check is done by the applicant himself or herself, in completing item 16 in the current application and additionally, for some applicants, by providing police clearances from certain foreign countries (those where the applicant has spent 183 or more days in the four years prior to applying, or those which IRCC otherwise requests from the applicant no matter how many or few days the applicant spent in that country).

If you are asking who provides the formal RCMP clearance, the fact that it is the "RCMP" clearance is a big clue. Yeah, good guess, it is the RCMP.

If you are trying to interpret the relationship between a RCMP clearance and where your application is in the processing-stream, GCMS offers NO REAL INFORMATION about this. Appearances to the contrary notwithstanding.

In any event, as I have addressed in detail in numerous posts, there are three formal clearances:

-- GCMS background clearance -- this is done repeatedly, at the least every time a formal action is taken on the file, and is last done shortly before the oath is actually taken. And, in addition to a wide range of other information, this check will show hits for criminal arrests or convictions in at least Canada or the U.S. based on RCMP name-record or U.S. FBI/NCIC name-records (subject to omissions, gaps, which the government is continually working to minimize). Maybe INTERPOL as well but I am not sure about this one.

-- RCMP criminality clearance -- this clearance is obtained through a referral to the RCMP and
is more robust, thorough, and probing than criminal record name-record checks. Referral is made around same time file gets AOR. Even if RCMP has submitted a clearance, IRCC can and apparently often does make a referral for an updated clearance. Note: the fact that the RCMP clearance, or updated clearance, has not been submitted does NOT ordinarily delay processing UNTIL the decision-making or oath steps.

-- CSIS security clearance -- here too the name of the clearance is a clue about who provides it; yeah, good guess, CSIS. The background check for this clearance can also probe any information about the applicant's involvement in criminality as well as typical "security" matters (such as terrorism, human trafficking, organized crime, human rights violations). Referral is likewise made at around same time as AOR. Likewise, IRCC can later make a further referral for an updated CSIS clearance. Note: the fact that the CSIS clearance, or updated clearance, has not been submitted does NOT ordinarily delay processing UNTIL the decision-making or oath steps.

(Note re what some may think is another formal clearance: again, SOME applicants must also have a police clearance submitted from this or that foreign country, depending on the individual's particular circumstances or pursuant to a specific request from IRCC. And obviously this is a criminality clearance. Delays in submitting this clearance, when required, will in turn result in processing delays.)

HOWEVER, OVERALL, there is NOTHING in what you obtained as a copy of GCMS notes which will illuminate ANYTHING about the status of the background checking in your case. Perhaps some others have posited this or that opinion about what can be concluded from this or that note in the GCMS records. Most of the GCMS sleuthing and interpretation in this forum is worthless. Or, worse than worthless to the extent it has often led or supported misunderstandings about the process. (There are occasions when it is prudent or even important to do a ATIP request, but that is a separate, very big and complicated subject.)

Meanwhile, UNLESS there is a reason why CSIS has a security concern, which you would almost certainly know about (forum is rife with protests to the contrary, NOT credible protests in all but extremely unusual instances), it is very unlikely that any clearance is the real reason holding up further action on an application. Call centre agent suggestions otherwise aside. (In other posts I have explained the probable reason for call centre agent responses about this . . . bottom-line odds are high the file is in queue for a processing agent or Citizenship Officer to take the next action and it is NOT really waiting on a clearance.)

Basically, when it comes to the formal criminality and security clearances, there are two groups of applicants:

-- the vast majority who have no reason whatsoever to worry that clearances will be a problem or cause any delay; GCMS report for applicants will reveal NOTHING informative about the applicant's clearances.

-- those applicants, a small minority, who have a reason to worry about clearances, ranging from whether they might delay things or affect the outcome; these applicants know who they are (again, notwithstanding protests to the contrary) because they know there is something to be concerned about; GCMS report for these applicants likewise reveals NOTHING informative . . . nothing the applicant does not already know otherwise . . . and NOTHING in particular about what will happen next or when.

Beyond that, in the OP you asked multiple questions. Direct answers to the questions, however, would be more distracting than helpful, in large part because there are either some misunderstandings about the process in play or they are more or less based on misplaced reliance on interpretations of the GCMS notes (a fool's game).

As I attempted to highlight in my previous post and am trying to make clear here as well:

"The GCMS notes are basically useless. Especially regarding clearances. The notes tend to show default codes that do not reveal much if anything at all about the applicant in particular."

Will respond to particular questions in OP in subsequent post.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Your particular questions in the OP:

"The GCMS notes also indicates the fingerprint is received and RCMP clearance as Y. Under this circumstances my question is which is holding my Criminality Clearance?"

Fact that notes show "Y" re RCMP clearance means nothing. "No" would mean nothing. There is no useful information to interpret from this code in the GCMS notes.

"My another question is why than the summary section of Assessments for Prohibition is showing as Not Started?"

Again, this means nothing. Started? Completed? Means nothing useful for an applicant. Here is a clue: IRCC will do a final assessment of prohibitions just before the oath even if has been done before, even if it has been done many time before. Indeed, the applicant is almost always (with some exceptions) required to make a WRITTEN declaration of NO prohibitions the day the oath is scheduled, during the check in for the oath. Just before that IRCC will conduct yet another GCMS background check, which among other things will query whether there is any outstanding information about prohibitions.

"Are Prohibition and ELIGIBILITY ADULT PROHIBITIONS the same thing?"

Again, there are MULTIPLE background checks done during the processing of an application. There is for sure a GCMS check done in Sydney BEFORE the referral to the local office. This check will look for many of the things which would constitute a prohibition, ranging from whether there has been a Removal Order issued or there is a criminality hit in FOSS. The GCMS check will be done again . . . at the least attendant the test and IP interview event and again attendant the oath (perhaps there is just one if applicant is scheduled for the oath the same day as the test, or takes the oath within a day or three of the test and IP interview).

The effort to precisely interpret what the GCMS notes reveal about this is futile. The applicant must remain prohibition free right up to the minute he or she raises her hand and recites the oath. If the applicant is arrested for a domestic dispute the night before the oath, the applicant is prohibited and will not take the oath (I suppose the applicant could fail to disclose this and take the oath, and then later have his or her citizenship revoked for failing to disclose the prohibition).

"Though I got a 2 demerit point on by an official on late August of 2014 not on June or before of 2014. What this could be? Is there any reason for me to worry?"

I cannot guess what the demerit point "by an official" means.

As I have attempted to highlight, whether you have a reason to worry or not you should know without obtaining the GCMS notes. Arrested? Risk goes up you have a reason to worry. How much depends on the details. Those details you know. So whether there is a risk, or how much a risk, you already know. Or should know anyway. And if for some reason you have had interaction with law enforcement and the criminal justice system which you are not sure about, as to whether it is a problem or not, your GCMS notes will NOT offer you any insight. To know whether this or that interaction with the justice system is a problem, that information is available in court records or through a lawyer. GCMS will NOT help.

Hello,

1. CSIS
2. RCMP

CLEARANCE REQUEST(S)
RCMP Y

ASSESSMENTS

REFUSAL GROUNDS:

Thanks in Advance

ChippyBoy

Dec 5, 2016
I do not know if you have any reason to worry. You should know. But GCMS will not help in this regard.

My sense is that you probably have no reason at all to worry. No reason to believe there is any delay in your case.

If you have a reason to worry, that is something you know or should know. Again, without GCMS notes.

Actually your "question" was not simple. You asked for "opinion" about interpreting multiple aspects of what your GCMS notes show and for an opinion about not having received any update "for such a long time." (Full quote of OP below, which includes multiple questions about interpreting numerous details.)

I offered an "opinion," as requested, which apparently is not one you were looking for. Sorry. But NO, your GCMS notes illuminate very, very little, virtually NOTHING. And, the premise underlying the questions was blatantly erroneous since, again, the GCMS notes do NOT offer any clues and moreover THERE IS NO HINT THERE IS ANY DELAY IN PROCESSING YOUR APPLICATION. NONE.

Yet, again you premise your question referencing:

". . . what is causing the delay to my file . . "

Foremost, again, THERE IS NO HINT THERE IS ANY DELAY IN PROCESSING YOUR APPLICATION. NONE.

Beyond that, odds are high that even if IRCC has some background or prohibitions concerns, obtaining clearances IS NOT causing any delay.

Whether there is any reason for you to worry about potential delays or problems in processing your application, the odds are very good there is NO reason to worry UNLESS you already know of a reason to worry . . . and what you know in that regard is a lot, lot, lot more than you will ever learn from the ATIP/GCMS request.

Now you ask:

". . . who does the criminality check RCMP or CSIS?"

You did NOT ask this question in the OP. The answer to this question is indeed simple: "criminality" checks are multifaceted and not the sole responsibility of any individual agency, and while there is a referral to the RCMP to conduct a thorough criminality check that is NOT the only criminality background check.

Indeed, the most important criminality check is done by the applicant himself or herself, in completing item 16 in the current application and additionally, for some applicants, by providing police clearances from certain foreign countries (those where the applicant has spent 183 or more days in the four years prior to applying, or those which IRCC otherwise requests from the applicant no matter how many or few days the applicant spent in that country).

If you are asking who provides the formal RCMP clearance, the fact that it is the "RCMP" clearance is a big clue. Yeah, good guess, it is the RCMP.

If you are trying to interpret the relationship between a RCMP clearance and where your application is in the processing-stream, GCMS offers NO REAL INFORMATION about this. Appearances to the contrary notwithstanding.

In any event, as I have addressed in detail in numerous posts, there are three formal clearances:

-- GCMS background clearance -- this is done repeatedly, at the least every time a formal action is taken on the file, and is last done shortly before the oath is actually taken. And, in addition to a wide range of other information, this check will show hits for criminal arrests or convictions in at least Canada or the U.S. based on RCMP name-record or U.S. FBI/NCIC name-records (subject to omissions, gaps, which the government is continually working to minimize). Maybe INTERPOL as well but I am not sure about this one.

-- RCMP criminality clearance -- this clearance is obtained through a referral to the RCMP and
is more robust, thorough, and probing than criminal record name-record checks. Referral is made around same time file gets AOR. Even if RCMP has submitted a clearance, IRCC can and apparently often does make a referral for an updated clearance. Note: the fact that the RCMP clearance, or updated clearance, has not been submitted does NOT ordinarily delay processing UNTIL the decision-making or oath steps.

-- CSIS security clearance -- here too the name of the clearance is a clue about who provides it; yeah, good guess, CSIS. The background check for this clearance can also probe any information about the applicant's involvement in criminality as well as typical "security" matters (such as terrorism, human trafficking, organized crime, human rights violations). Referral is likewise made at around same time as AOR. Likewise, IRCC can later make a further referral for an updated CSIS clearance. Note: the fact that the CSIS clearance, or updated clearance, has not been submitted does NOT ordinarily delay processing UNTIL the decision-making or oath steps.

(Note re what some may think is another formal clearance: again, SOME applicants must also have a police clearance submitted from this or that foreign country, depending on the individual's particular circumstances or pursuant to a specific request from IRCC. And obviously this is a criminality clearance. Delays in submitting this clearance, when required, will in turn result in processing delays.)

HOWEVER, OVERALL, there is NOTHING in what you obtained as a copy of GCMS notes which will illuminate ANYTHING about the status of the background checking in your case. Perhaps some others have posited this or that opinion about what can be concluded from this or that note in the GCMS records. Most of the GCMS sleuthing and interpretation in this forum is worthless. Or, worse than worthless to the extent it has often led or supported misunderstandings about the process. (There are occasions when it is prudent or even important to do a ATIP request, but that is a separate, very big and complicated subject.)

Meanwhile, UNLESS there is a reason why CSIS has a security concern, which you would almost certainly know about (forum is rife with protests to the contrary, NOT credible protests in all but extremely unusual instances), it is very unlikely that any clearance is the real reason holding up further action on an application. Call centre agent suggestions otherwise aside. (In other posts I have explained the probable reason for call centre agent responses about this . . . bottom-line odds are high the file is in queue for a processing agent or Citizenship Officer to take the next action and it is NOT really waiting on a clearance.)

Basically, when it comes to the formal criminality and security clearances, there are two groups of applicants:

-- the vast majority who have no reason whatsoever to worry that clearances will be a problem or cause any delay; GCMS report for applicants will reveal NOTHING informative about the applicant's clearances.

-- those applicants, a small minority, who have a reason to worry about clearances, ranging from whether they might delay things or affect the outcome; these applicants know who they are (again, notwithstanding protests to the contrary) because they know there is something to be concerned about; GCMS report for these applicants likewise reveals NOTHING informative . . . nothing the applicant does not already know otherwise . . . and NOTHING in particular about what will happen next or when.

Beyond that, in the OP you asked multiple questions. Direct answers to the questions, however, would be more distracting than helpful, in large part because there are either some misunderstandings about the process in play or they are more or less based on misplaced reliance on interpretations of the GCMS notes (a fool's game).

As I attempted to highlight in my previous post and am trying to make clear here as well:

"The GCMS notes are basically useless. Especially regarding clearances. The notes tend to show default codes that do not reveal much if anything at all about the applicant in particular."

Will respond to particular questions in OP in subsequent post.
How is it known that the referrals to RCMP and to CSIS occur for the first time in the process at or around the time of AOR, rather than those referrals occurring at the beginning of the IP stage?

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
How is it known that the referrals to RCMP and to CSIS occur for the first time in the process at or around the time of AOR, rather than those referrals occurring at the beginning of the IP stage?
It is not known for sure currently.

However, back when a number of forum participants (perhaps more so in other forums than this one) were doing ATI applications (distinguishable from personal ATIP requests . . . the ATI is like what journalists do to get government information) and those results were widely available and shared, internal CIC memos referenced a lot of the details. Part of the opening the file procedure was making the RCMP and CSIS referral. Internal memorandums (again, obtained via ATI applications) revealed that the referrals were done in batches of up to one hundred at a time, and this was also the case for later update referrals (never did learn what triggered a referral to update the clearances, but of course a number of likely triggers are easy to forecast, such as a criminal name-record hit in FOSS which pops up in the periodic GCMS check, as one example among many).

There has been nothing since then to suggest this part of the process has changed much. It is possible though that the referral is now done in the second level of screening done in Sydney. We know less about this screening.

In the meantime, all this has gone more and more behind the curtains. All part of the trend toward less transparency. Everything, it seems, has to do with investigatory methods to be kept strictly confidential.

However, while the details in a widely shared copy of the File Requirements Checklist from 2012 have certainly changed, it is very likely that the outline of steps and general screening approach revealed in the FRC (which was supposed to be confidential even then, but it was leaked and widely shared) are still mostly the way things are done.

Reactions: ChippyBoy

NewUser2018

Jun 15, 2017
mine was straightforward since they did extreme foreign background check on PR application.

on citizenship app they did on swift check in Canada which shows pass.