+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query on upfront medicals for PR

krishislegend

Star Member
Jun 28, 2021
Hi Guys,

I moved to canada in work permit on April 2023. I am going to submit my PR application and i was wondering if i have to get upfront medicals done. Would the IME i did for my work permit will be accepted and would i qualify as in canada applicant as per the below website and exempted from medicals?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html

Any suggestions or thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

NikSharma01

Champion Member
Jan 3, 2019
Hi Guys,

I moved to canada in work permit on April 2023. I am going to submit my PR application and i was wondering if i have to get upfront medicals done. Would the IME i did for my work permit will be accepted and would i qualify as in canada applicant as per the below website and exempted from medicals?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html

Any suggestions or thoughts would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Hi,

You're exempted as part of the "Temporary Public Policy" effective untill Oct 6, 2024. As per this policy, if you're filing the PR application from within Canada, you don't have to appear for the medical if you provided one within last 5 years.

In your PR application, you only need to provide the Unique Medical Identifier(UMI) code from the previous medical exam and wait for further instructions after submission.

Reactions: krishislegend

krishislegend

Star Member
Jun 28, 2021
Thank you so much for your response, when i got ITA my residence country was india, so i moved here after a month i got ITA, would that public policy still apply to me now that i am submitting my application from canada or do i need to stay here for any specified time (which i am not able to find but one of my friend told me, he also got no clue where he got that information) ?

NikSharma01

Champion Member
Jan 3, 2019
Thank you so much for your response, when i got ITA my residence country was india, so i moved here after a month i got ITA, would that public policy still apply to me now that i am submitting my application from canada or do i need to stay here for any specified time (which i am not able to find but one of my friend told me, he also got no clue where he got that information) ?
You seem to be eligible depending on the existing status in Canada. Being a Worker if you're filing the PR application from within Canada and have examined within past 5 years, you should be exempted from the medical exam unless further requirements for you to be examined again arises. Since this Public Policy is current into effect untill Oct 6, 2023 so you must proceed with a LOE.