+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Query about ‘List of Items to Follow’ during immigration process

Nov 18, 2012
Hi

I visited first time to get PR status in May this year. When I went to last step in immigration process (carrying my all luggage) where we have to give list of items which we are carrying and list of items which will follow later on including pictures of jewelery etc. The officer gave me two forms to fill in, both having same headings of ‘Personal Effects Accounting Document’ having below columns having headings of:
(1) Description & Value for Duty
(2) Description & Value

As I didn’t had the information about such forms I was finding it difficult to fill in regarding the goods to follow. Meanwhile, lady office there helped me by stating that she is not punching in the information now and when you will come second time then you should bring the both forms with all the information and then you will ask the immigration office to submit it and punch it in their software in my records.

I was curious to know if this was all right or there is any issue in it?

browntrout

Apr 20, 2013
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong S.A.R
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-09-2013
AOR Received.
04-10-2013
File Transfer...
12-10-2013
Med's Done....
12-07-2013
Passport Req..
15-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
16-12-2013
LANDED..........
21-01-2014
Re: Query about ‘List of Items to Follow' during immigration process

No replies as its confusing.....

You mean you LANDED in may, and were asked about your property? You were unsure, and they knew you were LANDING and gave you a break with the forms? If you passed into Canada no need to keep those forms, you are safe with your items.

Sometimes Canadian customs are a bit anal. Once in 2006 i entered with a gift tie for my father in law, i was honest and told them i bought it for 180 USD, and they had me spend 45 min on forms, in the end paying 4.50 CAD in fees for bringing goods in

ldn123

Nov 3, 2013

I think you`re referring to the 'b4' forms.
when you landed did you bring all your belongings with you? some people can not bring all their belongs in one trip. They may land for a few months only to leave and come back again later. So the canadian govt allows returning immigrants to bring extra personal possesions on their second trip without paying any tax.
But this will only be allowed if on your firdt trip you declared you have 'items to follow'. E.g when i landed i declared that i had a shipment coming in later which had my extra clothes furniture etc.

Note, if you declared items to follow, these should arrive to canada withon 12months, after this time you will have to pay canadian tax.

E.g. you panded in may, declared you had a fridge that will be arriving later on. The cost of thr fridge is $100 (convert the pricr you had purchased it from your home country in to dollars).
You have until may 14 for the shipment to arrive and present the declaration form which you filled out on landing to thr customs office. Once this is done, they will release your goods and you can arrange the shippi g company to deliver the goods to your home.

If you have no goods that will be coming in later than you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Just keep the declaration form safe in case you ever did need it.

Nov 18, 2012

Thanks for the reply. This is what I meant exactly.

If items to follow are only Jewellary (gold ornaments for personal use) & cash. Then what should I do now?

The officer informed me to submit the filled forms when I come next time without mentioning the time limit. She asked me to also bring pictures of jewellary in next visit to complete the formalities.

She also informed that the filled forms data will be entered in the computer system when I come next time, and there is no issue if such data is not entered in the records at the time of first visit.

Can you kindly clarify?

noobmoon

Star Member
May 1, 2012

What if you enter canada with only your luggage and your family is arriving couple of moth later only with their luggage.
No cargo or sth like that.
Do I need to fill things to follow i.e do I need to declare what my family will bring as their personal belongings?
If they take gold with them in the plain, do I need to report this when I land.

Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005

Hi

noobmoon said:
What if you enter canada with only your luggage and your family is arriving couple of moth later only with their luggage.
No cargo or sth like that.
Do I need to fill things to follow i.e do I need to declare what my family will bring as their personal belongings?
If they take gold with them in the plain, do I need to report this when I land.

Thanks
1. Nope, they declare the goods that they are carrying as goods in possession. If you don't have goods to follow, then you don't have to declare them.
2. If they are carrying gold + cash over $10K it must be reported on entry. There is no taxes or duty, but must be reported.