+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Querry related to the Student Direct Stream (SDS) program recently launched by IRCC

Suraj2020

Jan 30, 2018
Hello,

To support the growth in study permit applications, IRCC recently announced the Student Direct Stream (SDS), which is available to students applying for a study permit from China, India, Vietnam and the Philippines.
In the list of documents required, it is mentioned that score of at least 6 for English (International English Language Testing System) is required. Since most universities accept TOEFL score, I did not bother writing IELTS. I also have an admit from Trent University. Could you please let me know if I can apply to the Student Direct Steam(for a study permit) with my TOEFL scores as well or if IELTS is mandatory? Thanks in advance.

Eagerly awaiting a response.

Regards,
Suraj

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

To support the growth in study permit applications, IRCC recently announced the Student Direct Stream (SDS), which is available to students applying for a study permit from China, India, Vietnam and the Philippines.
In the list of documents required, it is mentioned that score of at least 6 for English (International English Language Testing System) is required. Since most universities accept TOEFL score, I did not bother writing IELTS. I also have an admit from Trent University. Could you please let me know if I can apply to the Student Direct Steam(for a study permit) with my TOEFL scores as well or if IELTS is mandatory? Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Suraj
1. It appears that you read the instructions, it says IELTs only, it doesn't say TOEFL or any other English test, so you either take IELTs or you are not eligible for SDS

praguni

Mar 20, 2018
Hello,

Regards,
Suraj
Maybe u can try for general category where students have to meet university's criteria. Send an email to your university and ask them. They ll guide you properly

beawesome007

Jun 12, 2018
Hello everyone,I'm an Indian citizen planning to apply through the SDS program for a study permit!
But my issue is I'm on a investor visa here in Bahrain (been staying here in Bahrain since I was born.Completed school, bachelors and finally took up my father business. I've been to India for about 350 days in the 4 years mostly for vacation.)
Could I be eligible to apply through SDS system or I'll have to go through the Regular study permit application process?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Hello everyone,I'm an Indian citizen planning to apply through the SDS program for a study permit!
But my issue is I'm on a investor visa here in Bahrain (been staying here in Bahrain since I was born.Completed school, bachelors and finally took up my father business. I've been to India for about 350 days in the 4 years mostly for vacation.)
Could I be eligible to apply through SDS system or I'll have to go through the Regular study permit application process?
Apply from Bahrain look up the requirements of the Canadian embassy over there.

khanemc2

Jun 16, 2018
Hi I live in Bahrian too...and I am from India..I have applied from for visa from India...you better apply from Abu Dhabi since there is no VFS office in Bahrain

Sreekez

Jan 20, 2018
hi guys,

what are all the changes in SDS ,
i know about the IELTS 6 minimum , one year tuition fee and GIC scenario

but my Agent said when i finish my course which is a one year course and when i apply for my post graduate work permit the next year , i ll have to show keep 10000 CAD in GIC for the next year and likewise i have to do so for every year while am on my PGWP

is this true ?

beawesome007

Jun 12, 2018
Apply from Bahrain look up the requirements of the Canadian embassy over there.
I guess I forgot to mention that I've already applied for college and would be travelling to India for my visa application (Since they would require my passport for processing)
Would I be eligible to go through the SDS stream?

beawesome007

Jun 12, 2018
Hi I live in Bahrian too...and I am from India..I have applied from for visa from India...you better apply from Abu Dhabi since there is no VFS office in Bahrain
Hey! Great to know you're from Bahrain :)
Did you go to India and applied for your visa? And did you apply after june 9 ,after the SDS system came into place?

khanemc2

Jun 16, 2018
I applied on 13th June form Delhi...and came back to Bahrain...SDS is not compulsory...I had paid 1 seem fee and shown bank statement and salary slip of Bahrain.
Hey! Great to know you're from Bahrain :)
Did you go to India and applied for your visa? And did you apply after june 9 ,after the SDS system came into place?