+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Queries regarding Intra Company Transferee Work permit

Canada Aspirant 2016

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
Hello All,

I am in the express entry pool with 441 CRS since February 2019. Meanwhile, my employer (a multinational company) has offered me an Intra Company transfer to Toronto office. Since Intra Company Tranferee work permit is an LMIA exempted visa category so I have below queries:

1. Do I need to withdraw my express entry profile before I apply for temporary work permit, especially in order to prove that my intent to stay in Canada is temporary as it is pre-requisite to this work permit.
2. What is the success rate of this visa category (Intra Transferee work permit) from India.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Canada Aspirant

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

I am in the express entry pool with 441 CRS since February 2019. Meanwhile, my employer (a multinational company) has offered me an Intra Company transfer to Toronto office. Since Intra Company Tranferee work permit is an LMIA exempted visa category so I have below queries:

1. Do I need to withdraw my express entry profile before I apply for temporary work permit, especially in order to prove that my intent to stay in Canada is temporary as it is pre-requisite to this work permit.
2. What is the success rate of this visa category (Intra Transferee work permit) from India.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Canada Aspirant
1. No - you don't need to withdraw.
2. It all depends on whether your employer can prove you fall into one of the qualifying categories - either that you are in a senior executive role or have very specialized knowledge.

Canada Aspirant 2016

Star Member
Jan 6, 2016
@scylla
Thanks for the information.

One follow up question, in case I get OINP nomination or Federal ITA during the processing of my work permit, what should I do? Should I accept or reject Express Entry ITA? Can both work permit and Express entry processing go parllelly? Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

deeps1987

Jun 2, 2018
@scylla
Thanks for the information.

One follow up question, in case I get OINP nomination or Federal ITA during the processing of my work permit, what should I do? Should I accept or reject Express Entry ITA? Can both work permit and Express entry processing go parllelly? Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you!
You can submit both in parallel and there won't be any concern from CIC perspective. Following are possible scenarios:
1) Your work permit is processed before (most likely case as usually it can take 3 months time from application submission), you might end up receiving open work permit assuming you submit PR application same time. I have seen someone getting open permit when they applied for extension (not new WP) under same Intra Company transfer. But I think same will apply in your case. However, your PR application will have no impact and it will remain under processing.
2. You PR is processed before work permit (unlikely case as you are yet to get ITA and PR can take up to 6 months from submission but some people have received it sooner), your work permit application will be cancelled as PR status allows same privilege as closed WP.

However, in both situation, you might have to let your company know about your status at some point. Some MNC encourage their employee to apply for PR, but some see it as attrition risk and discourage it. You might already know where your company stands. If you submit application for PR after work permit but before receiving work permit, and end up receiving open work permit, that would probably a give away about your PR application.
If you submit PR before WP application, you would be declaring in your application which will definitely come into attention of your company.

If your company falls into the "discouraging" category, I would say that it would be better to hold from applying PR now until you get to Toronto. Meanwhile, work on gathering your documents like experience letters, and proof of fund.