+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

queries on open work permit

vbhatt

Dec 30, 2009
Hi ,

I came to Canada in mid December 09 with visitor visa valid till 14 March 2010. My husband is on work permit, extension of which has just come on 29th Jan 10. His work permit is valid for 1 year i.e. till 15th Dec 10.

When I entered Canada, I was not given open work permit as my husband's work permit was near to expiry date and his application for extension was in process. I have filed extension of my visitor visa as its expiring in March 2010, however I have not requested for open work permit in that.

In the above matter, I need some help from all of you :

1. Do I need to file a separate application for my open work permit ?
2. Can we file it on our own or some lawyer help is needed ? (My husband's work permit is handled by a lawyer ). how much is normal fee to be paid lawyer ?
3. How much time it may take to receive the work permit ?
4. whether lawyer's appointment will reduce the time ?
5. If to find a job I need to require take some certification , can i apply for study visa along with open workpermit. can i have both at the same time.
6. My husband is software engineet and I am a Chartered Accountant , he has finished 7 months working here. We are planning to apply for PR here, when can he apply ?

Thanks in advance :)

Regards

susana

Nov 4, 2008
If your husband's work permit falls into 0, A or B category you can apply for an open work permit. You can do it online, need to do medicals because you are planning to work for a year, scan and send a copy of your husband's work permit with the application and your current visitor's record. Fees are to be paid online too. A friend of mine did it recently and got her open work permit 15 days after applying. Medical is a must. No need for a lawyer, it wont speed up your case.
Do not worry about certifications or study permits until you get your open work permit and decide where you want to work. Finding jobs on your field may or may not be easy so wait and see.
To apply for PR, he can do it as Federal Skilled Worker after working one year in Canada, or if his actual or former jobs fit into the 38 occupation list. Read the instructions.
Or he can apply under Canadian Experience Class after working two years in Canada (Full time job).

After doing your medicals and applied online for the Open Work Permit, you can withdraw your application to extend your stay as visitor and you may get your fees send back to you.

Good luck !!

vbhatt

Dec 30, 2009
Thanks a ton for your reply.

Please confirm following :

"........After doing your medicals and applied online for the Open Work Permit, you can withdraw your application to extend your stay as visitor and you may get your fees send back to you."

This will be applicable only if I decide to cancel my open work permit application and stay here as only Visitor. Have I understood properly ?

Thanks