+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Queries for immigration at the airport

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
I have a multi entries TRV. I came to Canada on 2 visits on October 2017 (21days) and March 2018 (72days).

I bought a one way ticket this August 2018 , this time is because me and my fiancé (citizen) are getting married and having our ceremony in September then we will apply for inland spouse sponsorship.

My questions:

1. Is it really bad that I bought a one way ticket and might not be allowed to enter Canada when I’m at the airport ?

2. Do my fiancée need to write a letter to show to immigration that my visit this time is for our wedding and spouse visa application later on?

3. Should I prepare ahead our prove of relationship?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Get a return ticket before traveling to Canada. Excellent chance the airline will not let you board the airplane to Canada without a return ticket.

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
Get a return ticket before traveling to Canada. Excellent chance the airline will not let you board the airplane to Canada without a return ticket.
I already sort out with my airline company, they won’t stop me from boarding the plane. The only party that might do that is the immigration.

Hence, my queries are should my fiancé write me an invitation letter or so on to prove the reason I got a one way ticket.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Having flown from several countries in Asia (including Malaysia), I think you might find the counter staff at the airport a little less accommodating When it comes to a return ticket. Keep in mind, if you are changing aircraft anywhere, they can refuse you board when you transfer as well (been there, done that. Had to buy a return ticket in Hong Kong and Singapore for those reasons). A return ticket is cheap insurance.
As for a letter from your fiancé, that combined with no return ticket could be used as a reason to refuse you entry (you are not an actual visitor). Dual intent is a valid reason for entry, but a return ticket goes a long way in proving you understand the intent.
My advice, buy a ticket to leave Canada (anywhere)just before you check in for your trip. Air Canada allows a full refund if the ticket is cancelled in 24 hours. Providing your flight falls in that timeframe, you can meet the boarding requirements, provide CBSA with a return flight and cancel it as soon as you get through immigration.

Last edited:
Reactions: carmenlau

carmenlau

Nov 7, 2017
Having flown from several countries in Asia (including Malaysia), I think you might find the counter staff at the airport a little less accommodating When it comes to a return ticket. Keep in mind, if you are changing aircraft anywhere, they can refuse you board when you transfer as well (been there, done that. Had to buy a return ticket in Hong Kong and Singapore for those reasons). A return ticket is cheap insurance.
As for a letter from your fiancé, that combined with no return ticket could be used as a reason to refuse you entry (you are not an actual visitor). Dual intent is a valid reason for entry, but a return ticket goes a long way in proving you understand the intent.
My advice, buy a ticket to leave Canada (anywhere)just before you check in for your trip. Air Canada allows a full refund if the ticket is cancelled in 34 hours. Providing your flight falls in that timeframe, you can meet the boarding requirements, provide CBSA with a return flight and cancel it as soon as you get through immigration.

Thank you so much for this tip!
So basically I just need to get a ticket out of Canada regardless the destination is not my home country?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for this tip!
So basically I just need to get a ticket out of Canada regardless the destination is not my home country?
Just be sure that you have either visa free for that "anywhere else" or you have a valid visa there.

Reactions: carmenlau