+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QUEBEC- Sponsoring my wife...

mic8400

Star Member
Nov 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OK, so here's the deal. I'm a dual citizen between US and Canada. My wife and I want to move to Montreal. What do I have to do to sponsor her to become a permanent resident? Even better would be if someone had a similar situation that can provide a detailed description of their process. Thanks everyone! 8)

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
This should get you started:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/application-process-canadaquebec-t146172.0.html;msg2244762#msg2244762

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Thanks!

I am pretty much in the same boat except I am sponsoring my girlfriend from Korea. We submitted on October 2nd, 2012.

Feel free to pop back as you go through all the forms. It can get confusing with Quebec as it seems we have to do some things twice.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
PS Are you currently living in Quebec? Do you plan to apply inland or outland?

mic8400

Star Member
Nov 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, I'm in the states. Born here, lived here pretty much my entire life. I got my dual citizenship from my mom who was a Canadian citizen at the time of my birth.

I'm not sure about inland or out, what do you recommend? Any benefit to one over the other?

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
I am not sure what documents Quebec will require of you to prove you are moving here (I mean you as the Canadian).

As for inland or outland it all depends on your plans with your wife.

Outland: She (and you as well if you choose) stays in the states waiting for the process to work its way through the system. She can only visit Canada as a tourist during this time. Also if the application is refused you have the right to appeal. It is typically the shorter of the two.

Inland: You both move to Canada and wait for the process. After six months she can get a temporary work visa. If the application is refused there is no right of appeal.

Once you decide, I can give you the link for the appropriate forms.

mic8400

Star Member
Nov 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In that case, out would probably work better. We're about 1-2 years off from the actual move, but I want to start situating things now if possible. Any tips? =]

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
in your case, outland definitely. Especially if you're planning to move in 1 to 2 years. Inland process can only be started once you're both in Canada, and woudn't allow your wife to travel in and out.
get familiar with the forms, and see what is needed. THe process takes about 1 year, if you factor in the time to gather all the proofs and prepare the application, and the different stages. It can be done faster than that, but it really depends. It's in your interest to start early, so you avoid the stress of waiting for the PR to come through.
However, in your case, as you've lived all your life in the US as far as I understand, you will have to prove that you are serious in moving to Canada. So it might be worth to start investigating a little bit: where you will live, what you will do for a living etc, so that when you fill out the application, you can show that you are indeed moving to Canada. You will need to convince CIC of that, and as I suppose your links to Canada are not very strong for now, you can work on that.
Get familiar with the forms, and start gathering proofs, but don't fill out the forms just yet - as they might change between now and when you apply.
Good luck,
Sweden

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Definitely check out (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp#immigrate) Part 1 for you, Part 2 for her, and Part 3 which has specific information for Americans (scroll down). You might as well start going through the process. It takes a few months to gather everything up. According to process times (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-fc.asp), it will take 28 days for you to be approved as a sponsor plus it will take about another month to be approved by Quebec (http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/immigrate-settle/sponsors-sponsored/apply/undertaking-application/index.html) and it will take 13 months (New York office) or 16 months (LA office) for your wife to be approved.

PS It helps to have at least functional French for Montreal. If your wife learns French at an approved organization the Quebec government will reimburse her. http://www.immigration-quebec.gouv.qc.ca/en/french-language/country-departure/list-agreements.html
PPS Prepare her (and probably yourself) for the tsunami of taxes we pay here!

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
Sweden said:
THe process takes about 1 year, if you factor in the time to gather all the proofs and prepare the application, and the different stages. It can be done faster than that, but it really depends.
It will be probably closer to 2 years for him as US offices are taking 13-16 months to process outland.

mic8400

Star Member
Nov 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Awesome info folks =] Thanks again. Yeah as far as ties to Canada, my family lives in Anjou and Dorval and the company I work for, who I would be transferring with, is based in St. Lambert. Would you think that to be sufficient ties to please CIC and Quebec?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
mic8400 said:
In that case, out would probably work better. We're about 1-2 years off from the actual move, but I want to start situating things now if possible. Any tips? =]
Definitely apply Outland once you're about 1 year from wanting to move. You'll need to show intent to return to Canada in order for her to get her PR. If you have a fairly straightforward case - and if you're married for several years or more - you will probably process much faster than Ottawa's posted time. People seem to be averaging 7 months. The link to the Ottawa spreadsheet is in my signature - take a look. (Keep in mind some people never return and update us. I would only look at people that are visa received or landed. Look at the date visa is recieved - that's when "you're done" with CIC.) No guarantees, of course, because CIC lives in its own little world, but it would work.

You will need to check on the timeline for the CSQ. I have no idea how long it takes to get. Thank goodness I never had to deal with that.

PS: There are significant English and German speaking communities in Northern Quebec.

costaudjoe

Oct 30, 2011
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
NA
amikety said:
You will need to check on the timeline for the CSQ. I have no idea how long it takes to get. Thank goodness I never had to deal with that.

PS: There are significant English and German speaking communities in Northern Quebec.
Timeline for CSQ is about 1 month. I don't think it delays anything as CIC continues to process while Quebec works on the CSQ.

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
mic8400 said:
Awesome info folks =] Thanks again. Yeah as far as ties to Canada, my family lives in Anjou and Dorval and the company I work for, who I would be transferring with, is based in St. Lambert. Would you think that to be sufficient ties to please CIC and Quebec?
If you can get a paper from the company stating that they will be transferring you ( whether you asked for it, and they asked you to move) to Canada, that's the best proof. Include that, and a few other things, like letters from your family stating that they know that you're coming to Canada etc, it will help to convince CIC that you are serious about moving.
Good luck,
Sweden