+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Selection Certificate - No family name before wedding, what to put ?

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
Hi,

I need a little help/advise, while filling the form for Quebec Selection certificate I saw that I have to write family name of my wife before wedding (Nom de Famille) , but she didn't had any family name before wedding but had now after wedding. Should I leave it empty ? or should i put something to indicate that there is no family name before wedding ? like "Pas de nom de famille"

Anyone gone though this before please help

Iay

Champion Member
Feb 4, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2, 2017
AOR Received.
2017/02/10 In-process 2017/02/16 Test 2017/03/22 DM 2017/03/23
I think everyone has a family name before the wedding.
The family name before the wedding is also known as the SURNAME before the wedding or "MAIDEN NAME":)

So yea, you should be able to fill that space out.

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
(Stage 1 + Stage 2)=23 months
what does it say on her passport, and what did you put in your sponsorship documents? keep it the same.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
pardesifr said:
Hi,

I need a little help/advise, while filling the form for Quebec Selection certificate I saw that I have to write family name of my wife before wedding (Nom de Famille) , but she didn't had any family name before wedding but had now after wedding. Should I leave it empty ? or should i put something to indicate that there is no family name before wedding ? like "Pas de nom de famille"

Anyone gone though this before please help

So she was born with one name? Family name is the last name.

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
parker24 said:
So she was born with one name? Family name is the last name.
not all countries follow the same naming convention with last names or family names, so it's possible! :D

pardesifr, you should follow reflectoman's advice.

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
PP was made after marriage so yes she have my family name on it and on all document that CIC ask has my name as they never ask for family name before the marriage. But Quebec is very precise on that and they say it clearly that it should not be the husbands name but the one before marriage.

In my country of origin girls usually don't have family or surname some time the Father first name is used as Surname but in my wife case she have a composed name and no father or family name with her name.

So what should I do ? leave it empty or put N/A or Pas de nom de famille ?

blueboom

Aug 19, 2012
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
September 27, 2012
File Transfer...
November 7, 2012
Med's Done....
August 27, 2012
Interview........
waived (DM April 19, 2013)
Passport Req..
May 2, 2013 (non visa-exempt)
VISA ISSUED...
June 11, 2013
LANDED..........
June 23, 2013
pardesifr said:
PP was made after marriage so yes she have my family name on it and on all document that CIC ask has my name as they never ask for family name before the marriage. But Quebec is very precise on that and they say it clearly that it should not be the husbands name but the one before marriage.

In my country of origin girls usually don't have family or surname some time the Father first name is used as Surname but in my wife case she have a composed name and no father or family name with her name.

did she ever have a national id of any kind before marriage?

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
pardesifr said:

Did she have a NIC card before marriage? what name does it show on your nikah namah (marriage certificate), cause that would be the one without your family name on it. I would go ahead with that, and explain in a letter that this is the family name, if there is one, that she used to go by before marriage as shown in the marriage certificate attached.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Definitely attach a separate sheet of paper to that form, explaining your wife's name and the customs of your country, whatever you do decide to put as her 'family name before marriage'. If the application will be processed at the visa office in her country, or where people from her country are usually processed, the visa officers there should be familiar with this. The Quebec officials might not be, so attach an explanation in any case.

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
i don't think the islamabad embassy will have any questions on this, it is common in our country. however the quebec officials will need clarification. :)

pardesifr

Jul 19, 2010
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 2013
AOR Received.
March 2013
File Transfer...
To London in 2014
Med's Done....
Jan 2013
Passport Req..
July 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Aug 2015
LANDED..........
Sep 2015
Yes there won't be issue in Islamabad and there wasn't in CIC Mississauga but Quebec is special and ask something extra :S I tihnk I will add a paper to explain it.

There is no thing as Family name or Surname on National ID or Nikah Namma (marraige certificate)

Reflectoman

Jan 4, 2013
Laval
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad (Wife)
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
February 2011
Interview........
waived
LANDED..........
pardesifr said:
Yes there won't be issue in Islamabad and there wasn't in CIC Mississauga but Quebec is special and ask something extra :S I tihnk I will add a paper to explain it.

There is no thing as Family name or Surname on National ID or Nikah Namma (marraige certificate)
8)
best to just explain it, and attach the translated NIC and marriage certificate as proof that she just doesn't have a maiden name. Before being married she just went using the first name that you've indicated on the form.