+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec PR Application - Open Work Permit - Is PA RAMQ eligible?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I'm trying to understand the eligibility requirements for RAMQ.
It seems that OWP does make you eligible, but some working regarding the type of OWP is confusing.

Any inland Quebec applicant can comment: After getting AOR for PR sponsorship and getting approved for OWP, will PA be eligible to apply for RAMQ?

In my case PA and dependent will come on TRV and apply for OWP as per latest public policy (TRV already granted).

SeaCT

May 28, 2023
I have OWP and I got approved for RAMQ. However I had to get a proof from my employer that I had a job.
Do you have a document proving you can stay in Quebec more than 6 months ?

Quote from RAMQ:
Travailler au Québec
Pour être admissible à l’assurance maladie lorsque vous venez travailler temporairement au Québec, vous devez avoir un document qui démontre que vous avez l’autorisation de rester au Québec plus de 6 mois. Vous ne pouvez pas faire votre demande d’inscription avant votre arrivée au Québec.
Travailler au Québec - Autres pays | Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) (gouv.qc.ca)

henrik_12345

Sep 19, 2022

Quote from RAMQ:
Travailler au Québec
Pour être admissible à l’assurance maladie lorsque vous venez travailler temporairement au Québec, vous devez avoir un document qui démontre que vous avez l’autorisation de rester au Québec plus de 6 mois. Vous ne pouvez pas faire votre demande d’inscription avant votre arrivée au Québec.
Travailler au Québec - Autres pays | Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ) (gouv.qc.ca)
I guess the owp would be enough proof for that?

Person001

Star Member
Jan 2, 2023
This may seem like a silly question but I could not find a clear answer. Can PA come to Canada as a visitor, apply for OWP a bit after they arrive, with no job offer, and then if the OWP is granted can stay in Canada as a temporary resident legally until the OWP expires, eg, 24 months, and never actually work?

Zuzu1983

Mar 23, 2023
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
12-03-2023
AOR Received.
01-04-2023
Med's Request
06-04-2023
Med's Done....
10-04-2023
The RAMQ agent told us we could apply once the AIP was obtained, the AOR was not enough.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I have OWP and I got approved for RAMQ. However I had to get a proof from my employer that I had a job.
Interesting. Did you get your OWP after PR or you had other status? Just thinking that you can't have job unless you acquire OWP. If you apply for RAMQ at this very moment, it's not always possible to get the job right away... so if you have no job yet, or plan to go study, no RAMQ?

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
The RAMQ agent told us we could apply once the AIP was obtained, the AOR was not enough.
I guess not everyone receives AIP at all during the processing (I mean that recently I saw a bunch of people getting their eligibility completed within few days right before PPR).

Last edited:

henrik_12345

Sep 19, 2022
Interesting. Did you get your OWP after PR or you had other status? Just thinking that you can't have job unless you acquire OWP. If you apply for RAMQ at this very moment, it's not always possible to get the job right away... so if you have no job yet, or plan to go study, no RAMQ?
I got my owp after getting aor from pr. And I got a job right after getting the owp.

I actually don't know, but given that ramq requested that information, I assume that no work no RAMQ. I also didn't find any information about it, I just sent in an application to ramq after getting my owp.

Reactions: canuck78 and ERCAN

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
I got my owp after getting aor from pr. And I got a job right after getting the owp.

I actually don't know, but given that ramq requested that information, I assume that no work no RAMQ. I also didn't find any information about it, I just sent in an application to ramq after getting my owp.
Thank you for info. I'll keep that in mind

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm trying to understand the eligibility requirements for RAMQ.
It seems that OWP does make you eligible, but some working regarding the type of OWP is confusing.

Any inland Quebec applicant can comment: After getting AOR for PR sponsorship and getting approved for OWP, will PA be eligible to apply for RAMQ?

In my case PA and dependent will come on TRV and apply for OWP as per latest public policy (TRV already granted).
If you are the spouse of a Canadian citizen or PR you will only qualify for RAMQ on your OWP if you are employed in Quebec.

Reactions: ERCAN

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Quote from RAMQ:
Travailler au Québec
It also says when you are working temporarily in Quebec. So you must prove that you are working and can stay over 6 months in Quebec to qualify for RAMQ.