+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec immigration or Express entry

shaktisharma

Dec 31, 2019
Hi All,
I have been offered a job from Quebec(LMIA, CAQ approved -WP for 2 years ) .I m joining it in few months.One query . what should i follow for applying PR ,,,Quebec or Express entry ??
i have no knowledge of french so i am bit worried about Quebec PR process ?? is french compulsory for Quebec immigration ???

Or can i use this job for applying Express entry ???

I am coming with my Spouse and infant .

kindly advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,
I have been offered a job from Quebec(LMIA, CAQ approved -WP for 2 years ) .I m joining it in few months.One query . what should i follow for applying PR ,,,Quebec or Express entry ??
i have no knowledge of french so i am bit worried about Quebec PR process ?? is french compulsory for Quebec immigration ???

kindly advise.
You need to be applying through the Quebec program. If you apply through EE, your application will end up being refused since you are working and living in Quebec.

shaktisharma

Dec 31, 2019
You need to be applying through the Quebec program. If you apply through EE, your application will end up being refused since you are working and living in Quebec.
Thanks for your revert.
So for Quebec PR, can u pls confirm if French is mandatory for both primary applicant n spouse ???
Based in quebec points calculator , our points are around 68.

Pls share your inputs

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Hi All,

kindly advise.
Do not make the same mistake as I did. Never ever come to Quebec on a LMIA temporary skilled work visa if you are not fluent in French. Your permanent residency will be delayed for many years. The current CAQ government is very anti immigrant and plays language politics & changes immigration policy every month to please their xenophobic voter base. The language & identity politics is very bad in Quebec.

Please go thru many threads in this forum. My advice for you is to never come to Quebec. Please immigrate to any other province using Express Entry. You cannot apply Express Entry from Quebec and your application will be rejected.

See my timeline in the signature. I have been waiting since 2017 for permanent residency in Quebec. If it was somewhere else in Canada, I should have got my PR within 4 or 6 months and should have applied for citizenship by now. Now that I fell into this trap, I am waiting patiently for my PR ever since.

DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE LIKE I DID.

anurag123sri

Star Member
Feb 11, 2019
Do not make the same mistake as I did. Never ever come to Quebec on a LMIA temporary skilled work visa if you are not fluent in French. Your permanent residency will be delayed for many years. The current CAQ government is very anti immigrant and plays language politics & changes immigration policy every month to please their xenophobic voter base. The language & identity politics is very bad in Quebec.

Please go thru many threads in this forum. My advice for you is to never come to Quebec. Please immigrate to any other province using Express Entry. You cannot apply Express Entry from Quebec and your application will be rejected.

See my timeline in the signature. I have been waiting since 2017 for permanent residency in Quebec. If it was somewhere else in Canada, I should have got my PR within 4 or 6 months and should have applied for citizenship by now. Now that I fell into this trap, I am waiting patiently for my PR ever since.

what if we cannot move to other states ?

shaktisharma

Dec 31, 2019
my current job is LMIA approved from QUebec,
in order to move to another state after Province, do we again need to have LMIA approved job offer??

shaktisharma

Dec 31, 2019

Thanks Nikhil for your revert. few queries:
1. have u applied for Quebec PR without french?
2. At present i dont have enough points for Express Entry (less than 430) .moreover my spouse and i have got a permanent job offer from Quebec. Hence., Quebec PR is the only option i am left with.( Exp ENtry or PNP is almost impossible for me as of now)
3. As Quebec PR ,points for family should be >59 and our points are around 72 (2 Adults + 1 infant ) without french knowledge.. What chance we stand here for Quebec PR ??

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
my current job is LMIA approved from QUebec,
in order to move to another state after Province, do we again need to have LMIA approved job offer??
Yes inorder for you to change jobs even in province of Quebec, you need to get new LMIA and new CAQ. You are basically locked down to your employer in a closed work permit. Your spouse will be in open work permit though, your spouse can work anywhere in Canada.

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
Thanks Nikhil for your revert. few queries:
2. At present i dont have enough points for Express Entry (less than 430) .moreover my spouse and i have got a permanent job offer from Quebec. Hence., Quebec PR is the only option i am left with.( Exp ENtry or PNP is almost impossible for me as of now)
3. As Quebec PR ,points for family should be >59 and our points are around 72 (2 Adults + 1 infant ) without french knowledge.. What chance we stand here for Quebec PR ??

> Quebec PR is a two stage process. First get CSQ from Quebec, then apply Federal level for PR. There is no one shot Quebec PR process.
Yes, I applied for CSQ in early 2017 without French ( In regular skilled worker category as I was pretty sure I wont be fluent in French before my work permit expires & I have no time to learn French as I am full time employed) , I got CSQ towards 2018 end. I was lucky enough to get my CSQ before the CAQ govt. got elected. CAQ govt. changed rules & cancelled 18,000 applications. Also maybe because I was in 2173 NOC code. Then I applied for Federal stage early in 2019, current processing time is 22 months. So yes I got CSQ but no PR yet.

Its been 3 years altogether. Because I got CSQ, I was able to renew my work permit without new LMIA. Work permit renewal with new LMIA & CAQ is another long red tape process in Quebec. Do not believe any immigration lawyers or agents. Take my word for it. I been through all this and the entire process sucks & takes a lot of time. ( GTS is a fast way to get work permit if your employer can do that. )

> One option is to work in Quebec and get 1 year of Canadian work experience so that it will increase your Express Entry points. Then quit your job with Quebec employer and move to Ontario and apply for Express Entry, when you get your application receipt acknowledgment, apply for a Bridge Open Work Permit to continue working in Ontario. Make sure you quit your employer amicably as you need to get a work experience letter from your Quebec employer. Since your spouse have open work permit, although it disrupts your family life, let your spouse work & reside in Ontario, so that when you quit your job after 1 year in Quebec, you can have income in Ontario (till you get Bridge open work permit) from your wife's job. This will also serve as an intention to reside in Ontario if the visa officer asks why did you move to Ontario after working in Quebec for 1 year.

> Second option is to apply Express Entry while residing in Quebec after you gain 1 year of Canadian work experience, your chances are 50-50, even if you application is rejected, its not a misrepresentation. But your work permit will expire and you wont have CSQ yet to renew LMIA exempt work permit. There are successful cases & failed cases. There is another thread discussing "Apply Express Entry from Quebec" please read that.

3. As Quebec PR ,points for family should be >59 and our points are around 72 (2 Adults + 1 infant ) without french knowledge.. What chance we stand here for Quebec PR ??[/QUOTE]

> Quebec point system is bullshit, do not trust Arrima portal and points calculator. Quebec immigration system has no transparency in how they are selecting skilled immigrants so far. They do not publish any criteria, basically a blackbox selection system. Do not count on your points to get invitation or selection. Its very murky as their process is not clear or transparent as of now. Maybe they will improve. But historically you cannot trust Quebec immigration system to keep their word. The current immigration minister is a rookie and is trying to please CAQ govt xenophobic voters. So they will do anything that they want according to their whims & fancies especially making French mandatory apply Bill 101 to Bill 9.
No Canadians/Quebeckers/Politicians will care about what they do with Quebec immigration policies as temporary workers cannot vote.

Also Bill 9 is now law, this law enables them to change immigration policy anytime & apply it retroactively. So they can mess up your existing CSQ application too. CAQ govt is very popular among non Montrealers and I think they will get a second term too.

I might sound very pessimistic here, but its my experience in Quebec as a temporary skilled foreign worker. This is one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made in my life. Now you might ask why I am still in Quebec, its only because my employer & work culture is very good & the job that I do is very satisfying.

If anyone has positive experience, you can also consider their experience in Quebec too. Maybe things will improve with Quebec immigration department, maybe not. The question is, are you willing to take the risk & waste years of your life trusting Quebec's immigration department to do better or be a permanent resident in Canada within 6 months using Express Entry.

I am assuming you will reside in Montreal. The apartments below $1200 rent sucks, noisy & creaky if its a wooden construction. Always live on the top floor if you want to get a good night's sleep or rent a concrete newly constructed condo near a metro station to bootstrap with.

"Low cost of living" in Montreal depends on how & where you want to live. If you want an apartment with dishwasher, washer dryer, A/C near a metro station, its gonna cost you a lot more. Hope you have negotiated a good salary. You should take advantage of your employer's dire situation ;)

Dont take my word for it in all these. Below are links for your reading, also read the comments at the bottom of the news articles. You will get the general sentiments of Quebeckers about immigration.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/immigration-quebec-ottawa-1.5035880

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/court-orders-temporary-halt-to-quebec-s-plan-to-toss-out-18-000-immigration-applications-1.5032900

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/qc-immigration-applicants-react-1.5034091

https://globalnews.ca/news/5396431/quebec-government-passes-bill-immigration-bill-9/

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-backs-down-on-acquired-rights-of-foreign-students-temporary-workers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-immigration-simon-jolin-barrette-1.5370328

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/jolin-barrette-quebec-immigration-apology-1.5356659

http://theconversation.com/quebecs-immigration-reform-fiasco-casts-spotlight-on-caq-nationalism-127756

I think I have given more than enough information for you to make a decision based on your priorities.

Last edited:

ncat99

Jan 22, 2019
i cannot move i am on ICT Closed work permit :(
Then please see the two options I have explained above. You can wait for Arrima portal to issue CSQ's faster in Regular skilled worker category. Are you willing to patiently wait, trust Quebec's immigration department to get their act together, risk your age & years (minus 5 points after 30 years of age for every year in Express Entry) or do you want PR faster.

If you can learn French fluently, you can get CSQ in PEQ category within a month & then wait 2 years for Federal stage. I have stated the options. Now its upto you to decide. It depends on your priorities.

anurag123sri

Star Member
Feb 11, 2019
Then please see the two options I have explained above. You can wait for Arrima portal to issue CSQ's faster in Regular skilled worker category. Are you willing to patiently wait, trust Quebec's immigration department to get their act together, risk your age & years (minus 5 points after 30 years of age for every year in Express Entry) or do you want PR faster.

If you can learn French fluently, you can get CSQ in PEQ category within a month & then wait 2 years for Federal stage. I have stated the options. Now its upto you to decide. It depends on your priorities.

Thanks Nikhil for your suggestions

rjbangalore

Jan 12, 2020

Hi Nikhil,
You have given a lot more info than their website.. Thanks.
Could you pls help me with following queries as I couldn't find any clear info on Quebec official website.
Q1. Is it mandatory that our work experience should be aligned with education/field of study even if we have sufficient experience say, more than 12 years?Ex:- if I have an engineering degree in Electrical/Electronics Engineering and I have more than 12 years of experience in IT/Software engineering(NOC 2173), am I still NOT eligible for RSWP?

Q2. If I have more than 2 degrees/diploma (3 years duration for each, both outside Canada), can I get points for each of the courses or ONLY for the highest degree? The official website lists points for each education types, but hasn’t explicitly mentioned if we can claim points for both.