+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Healthcare without waiting for certain countries

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Dear all

My wife and I are planning to move to Montreal in 2020 as Permanent Residents.

I have seen that ordinarily there is a 3 month waiting period for newcomers, except if you are from a short list of countries with which Quebec have an agreement:

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/registration/Pages/agreements-other-countries.aspx

As I am a Danish national I would qualifiy for this.

My question:
As my wife is a Chinese national (lived 6 years in Denmark has permanent residence) will she qualify by virtue of being my wife, or is it only me?

I realize it is quite niche, but if anyone has any experience or knowledge in this matter I would be very grateful.

I have written the Quebec authorities and will post here if I hear back.

Cheers

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all

My wife and I are planning to move to Montreal in 2020 as Permanent Residents.

I have seen that ordinarily there is a 3 month waiting period for newcomers, except if you are from a short list of countries with which Quebec have an agreement:

http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/registration/Pages/agreements-other-countries.aspx

As I am a Danish national I would qualifiy for this.

My question:
As my wife is a Chinese national (lived 6 years in Denmark has permanent residence) will she qualify by virtue of being my wife, or is it only me?

I realize it is quite niche, but if anyone has any experience or knowledge in this matter I would be very grateful.

I have written the Quebec authorities and will post here if I hear back.

Cheers
Not unless she got Danish citizenship. Is she also getting PR?

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
yeah i guessed as much. Yes she is also getting PR, with me as the principal applicant.
Very grateful for you taking the time Canuck!

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
For anyone who might be interested, the Quebec authorities just informed me that my wife can also waive the 3 month waiting period as long as the Danish authorities agree to it. It turns out that the bilateral agreements work in a way where the first country needs to approve the healthcare first (in this case being Denmark) before you apply in the new host "country" (must grate some Canadians that Quebec gets mentioned as a country on Danish Foreign ministry pages but there you go...)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would encourage you to get all this stuff in writing. Unfortunately there tends to be some variability depending on who you talk to on some of these rules that aren’t clearly written somewhere.

jorgenmunk1983

Star Member
Mar 4, 2019
Yup got it in writing saying that as long as the Danish authorities agree we are both covered. It actually turns out that this is a setup where Denmark covers our Quebec Healthcare cost meaning the 6 month stay in Quebec is not relevant, and we won't have to worry about Healthcare workers seeing us as leeches on the system since it's our own Danish taxes paying for our services. I strongly encourage anyone from the following countries to look into it if relevant
  • Belgium
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France
  • Greece
  • Luxembourg
  • Norway
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Sweden

Reactions: smallcoffee