+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quebec Health Insurance Card [URGENT]

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
Hi everyone!!

I am coming to Quebec next week with my wife. I am on work permit and wife on Open Work Permit. I have following questions and would appreciate if someone can help me in this:

1- It is said that one should apply Health Insurance card immediately after landing. We can our Work Permit as proof of identity but what about Proof of residence? Which document we can show to them immediately as proof of residence?
2- Is is mandatory to get photographs from some pharmacy? Can we use photographs that we took about 2 months back from our home country and used the same for visa etc.. purposes. Can we use these photographs we are bringing from home country?
3- Being on Temporary Work Permit visa, are we eligible to stay out of Canada for 150 days per calendar year and still continue to retain our health Insurance?

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. You can go to a bank, open an account and get the bank to issue a letter or statement immediately with your name and Quebec address on it. Otherwise, wait for your first utility bills.

2. I have never heard of getting photographs taken at a pharmacy. Maybe this is a Quebec thing. In British Canada, you would go to a photographer to get your picture taken. However, if you have new photos, you should see if they accept them.

3. As a temporary worker in Quebec, you can not leave for more than 21 days at a time if you want to keep your coverage, see http://www.ramq.gouv.qc.ca/en/citizens/health-insurance/registration/Pages/eligibility.aspx

PiTHn

Jan 6, 2013
Leon said:
1. You can go to a bank, open an account and get the bank to issue a letter or statement immediately with your name and Quebec address on it. Otherwise, wait for your first utility bills.

2. I have never heard of getting photographs taken at a pharmacy. Maybe this is a Quebec thing. In British Canada, you would go to a photographer to get your picture taken. However, if you have new photos, you should see if they accept them.

3. As a temporary worker in Quebec, you can not leave for more than 21 days at a time if you want to keep your coverage, see
Thanks @Leon. Too little allowed duration to stay outside :(

vechappell

Star Member
Feb 7, 2012
I guess you've got this sorted now due to the date, but I thought Id write an answer that I found for anyone else that might need to know.

The photos can be done at the pharmacy, they have to be a specific size which is different to any passport size as I found out today, you only need 1 photo but they give you 2 cost me $10.

Wherever you are residing you can ask the owner to write a letter stating you live there and this letter needs to be stamped by an official like someone at the town or borough hall cost me $5.

I provided these along with my passport and proof of immigration and it was sent off if you're from outside Canada it take 3 months for approval. You are covered during this time if you are pregnant, have a disease that requires constant treatment or if you need care from domestic abuse.

Keden

Star Member
Jul 20, 2012
Montreal, QC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 24, 2013
AOR Received.
Apr 9, 2013
Med's Request
Apr 15, 2013
Med's Done....
Apr 18, 2013
Passport Req..
Feb 27, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 27, 2014
LANDED..........
May 20, 2014
You don't need to take pictures with you to the RAMQ office.

They take a picture of you right there in the office (I went to the office on Sherbrooke).