+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine question

Smaab

Jun 12, 2016
Hi, i have a situation and would really any advice. Thank you!

I landed in 2018, I worked in Canada for a year then the parent company offered me a job in the US.. i went to the US and worked on H1B for 5 months until my position was terminated because of Covid 19. Now I will be coming back to canada but I don't have a job, no home and have limited financial resources. I see that there is a mandatory 14 days quarantine. Would the border agent agree to put me in a government quarantine facility for 14 days as I can't afford to stay in a hotel for 14 days? If it wasn't for the virus I would have probably worked for few weeks as an uber until I find a suitable job.

Thank you!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The advice keeps changing all the time with the latest saying this

You must have a plan to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive in Canada. This is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms. If you don’t have a plan, you should not travel to Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/permanent-residents.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html#quarantine

Previously there was a statement saying if someone either did not have a plan or plan was not acceptable then the government would arrange, although never clear who pays . Can only assume as would expect people abused that and turned up without a plan looking for a free handout so they have withdrawn that specific statement.

They have even changed the same option for non landed PRs saying do not land unless they have a plan so a common policy change for anyone with no isolation plan

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How would you pay for somewhere to live if you didn’t have to go into quarantine? There is minimal people using Uber so that isn’t really a plan. What are you going to do after quarantine to secure accommodations? You can probably guarantee a good rate on AirBnB these days.

Smaab

Jun 12, 2016
How would you pay for somewhere to live if you didn’t have to go into quarantine? There is minimal people using Uber so that isn’t really a plan. What are you going to do after quarantine to secure accommodations? You can probably guarantee a good rate on AirBnB these days.
Thank you for the replies. If there was no virus i was going to sleep in the car. I have it setup for that, I have done it several times before. BTW I'm not a first time lander, I already landed two years ago and pay taxes etc...also by the time I go to the border my US visa would be expired, so I can't not to travel to Canada

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Thank you for the replies. If there was no virus i was going to sleep in the car. I have it setup for that, I have done it several times before. BTW I'm not a first time lander, I already landed two years ago and pay taxes etc...also by the time I go to the border my US visa would be expired, so I can't not to travel to Canada
Guess you will need to take your chances then that the government will put you up and feed you for 14 days then. Whether anyone paid taxes or not seems irrelevant in the current situation versus public health responsibility .

Reactions: Buletruck

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Guess you will need to take your chances then that the government will put you up and feed you for 14 days then. Whether anyone paid taxes or not seems irrelevant in the current situation versus public health responsibility .

Expect that you will be told that living in a car is not a quarantine plan or considered a viable solution if you encounter a police officer. Book an AirBnB like everyone else. You needed a place to stay anyways if you were moving to Canada. I doubt you were moving to live in your car permanently.

hnaveed89

Feb 24, 2019
How do I show my Airbnb reservation as a place to quarantine when I am sharing it with the host and hosts refuse to stay at home for 14 days.

manahilsami04

May 15, 2019
Can anyone please advise if any specifics need to be informed or what kind of questions do they ask? I would want to know after landing experience at airport after all this covid thing happened
Also what exactly is landing appointment for ?