+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Quarantine after landing

andrew999929

Star Member
Jul 30, 2018
Can someone share any experiences for PRs returning to Canada from overseas during this pandemic. What are the quarantine rules in force? I usually book a taxi from the airport, rent a room in an apartment (so usually there are 1 or 2 roommates) and I go grocery shopping once weekly. Will I be needing to do any changes to these?? At the moment I cannot afford renting a whole apartment by myself and I don’t know anyone willing to do my grocery shopping. Any hints or tips on this matter would be great guys. Thank you

Last edited:

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Cannot share any exerience but the guidelines are clear you cannot share accomodation unless you are separate from anyone else in that accommodation or they too are in quarantine else there would be no point in being in quarantine if the others were going out. You cannot leave the accommodation unless for a medical emergency so no shopping trips so you would need to organise food delivery online.

Other posts on here have arranged Airbnb accommodation for the 14 days and also used various online food delivery services.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/2019-novel-coronavirus-information-sheet.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/diseases-conditions/coronavirus-disease-covid-19-how-to-self-isolate-home-exposed-no-symptoms.html

In the mandatory quarantine section in this link details about last resort support for anyone without a satisfactory isolation plan but never been clear who pays

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html#a1.5

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can’t get groceries. Most grocery stores now have delivery services. You just need to order online. As for accommodation, read the links given. As for accommodation, if you share with others you may:

• Live with family/friends who didn’t travel with you provided you have a separate bedroom and bathroom, if possible.
  • Use shared spaces such as a kitchen, provided you:
    • limit interactions with others in the household and wear a mask or face covering if a 2-m distance cannot be maintained;
    • thoroughly and regularly clean common areas after use.
  • Use private outdoor spaces (i.e. balcony).
Of course, your roommates have to agree to this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can’t get groceries. Most grocery stores now have delivery services. You just need to order online. As for accommodation, read the links given. As for accommodation, if you share with others you may:

• Live with family/friends who didn’t travel with you provided you have a separate bedroom and bathroom, if possible.
  • Use shared spaces such as a kitchen, provided you:
    • limit interactions with others in the household and wear a mask or face covering if a 2-m distance cannot be maintained;
    • thoroughly and regularly clean common areas after use.
  • Use private outdoor spaces (i.e. balcony).
Of course, your roommates have to agree to this.
Sharing a bathroom is not true quarantine. You should be isolating in your room for 14 days without a shared bathroom at the very mimimum. The rules posted online are not true quarantine which puzzles me because public health should have reviewed the rules. Public health 101 especially now that it has been discovered that covid can be aerosolized versus transmitted through droplets.

Reactions: mashulia_26

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can someone share any experiences for PRs returning to Canada from overseas during this pandemic. What are the quarantine rules in force? I usually book a taxi from the airport, rent a room in an apartment (so usually there are 1 or 2 roommates) and I go grocery shopping once weekly. Will I be needing to do any changes to these?? At the moment I cannot afford renting a whole apartment by myself and I don’t know anyone willing to do my grocery shopping. Any hints or tips on this matter would be great guys. Thank you
If you can not afford to quarantine this is probably not a good time to come to Canada. It is aleo quite challenging to find work at the moment so you need to be prepared for months of unemployment,

Reactions: mashulia_26

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How do they track you down during quarantine? Also if you needed to visit the hospital do you need to let anyone know?
You have given your address and telephone number and someone should be calling to verify that you are in quarantine. You are a physician and know why quarantine is important. Please don't be selfish and risk exposing other patients, healthcare professionals, etc. by not following quarantine protocols after you too this crazy risk of coming to Canada at 37 weeks with twins to give birth in Canada needing you need to quarantine. You must call the hospital and explain your situation so they can take appropriate steps. You are a physician imagine if a patient was considering hiding their quarantine status.

Canadianspirit

Feb 2, 2017
You have given your address and telephone number and someone should be calling to verify that you are in quarantine. You are a physician and know why quarantine is important. Please don't be selfish and risk exposing other patients, healthcare professionals, etc. by not following quarantine protocols after you too this crazy risk of coming to Canada at 37 weeks with twins to give birth in Canada needing you need to quarantine. You must call the hospital and explain your situation so they can take appropriate steps. You are a physician imagine if a patient was considering hiding their quarantine status.
Sir please calm down. I had no plans of hiding my quarantine status. I have been managing covid pts for months and the last thing I'd do is to expose any one to such a risk. My question was literal because I was planing on calling public health authorities to update them about my imminent need to being admitted and I am planing to communicate honestly that I am still in mandatory qauarantine. Also FYI I have no symptoms and I tested negative before coming here and planing to complete my quarantine. But also understand That I am a human with health care needs as well that needs to be addressed safely. I dont understand why you keep answering my questions with such an attacking tone!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sir please calm down. I had no plans of hiding my quarantine status. I have been managing covid pts for months and the last thing I'd do is to expose any one to such a risk. My question was literal because I was planing on calling public health authorities to update them about my imminent need to being admitted and I am planing to communicate honestly that I am still in mandatory qauarantine. Also FYI I have no symptoms and I tested negative before coming here and planing to complete my quarantine. But also understand That I am a human with health care needs as well that needs to be addressed safely. I dont understand why you keep answering my questions with such an attacking tone!
Not a man. You were asking how the govenment would find out if you are quarantining so the question leads to concerns about your intention to quarantine. You are getting defensive but at 37 weeks pregnant with twins you knew that it was incredibly unlikely that you would be able to complete he 14 days of quarantine before going into labour or needing to be admitted. The requirement to enter Canada is that you complete the 14 day quaratine period which you knew was very unlikely. If anything you are trying to find a way to go to your weekly prenatal appointments. In the last weeks of pregnancy, especially with a high risk pregnancy, it is not uncommon to have to visit the doctor or go for monitoring (fetal heart rate and levels of amniotic fluid) multiple times in a week but you entered Canada knowing you would need to break quarantine to do any of these things. Personally I believe that shows a lack of respect for hospital workers and other patients. You may not have covid but the staff and patients will need to assume and act as though you may have been exposed to covid. I assure you that the hosptial staff will also not be pleased to hear that you are a physician who understands covid and why the quarantine rules are in place and that you had the option to remain in Michigan to deliver in a US hospital where you have insurance. They will likely not understand that you are pontentially putting the hospital and other patients at risk as well as creating a lot more work, and likely expense, for the hospital because of your residency obligations. They will of course be professional but they will also realize that you knew you likely couldn't complete quarantine but came to Canada anyways. I personally don't understand why you would risk coming so late into your pregnancy and potentially not be able to access prenatal care for 2 weeks. Seems like a very large risk. It doesn't sound like your twins will also be meeting their residency obligation for OHIP you should just make arrangments to pay for their treatment as well. I think you will find that Canadians are in general very nice but use of the healthcare system when not a taxpayer is something most people get very heated about especially given that there are only so many beds available.

EzzaRamy

Aug 31, 2020
I have a question. So I am landing in torronto as transit, and then heading to calgary. So I will only be at toronto airport for about 2 hours. Do I quarantine in toronto or in calgary?

• Wow
Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a question. So I am landing in torronto as transit, and then heading to calgary. So I will only be at toronto airport for about 2 hours. Do I quarantine in toronto or in calgary?
You can’t do that. You must do your hotel quarantine Toronto.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Have you booked your 3 days government authorized hotel quarantine in Toronto??
Do you have -ve test result with you?? How about quaratine plan in Calgary after your 3 days quarantine?
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/mandatory-hotel-stay-air-travellers/list-government-authorized-hotels-booking.html

EzzaRamy

Aug 31, 2020
Do you have -ve test result with you?? How about quaratine plan in Calgary after your 3 days quarantine?
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice/mandatory-hotel-stay-air-travellers/list-government-authorized-hotels-booking.html
So can i only do the 3 days government authorized hotel quarantine in Toronto, and the rest in calgary? Or do i quarantine full 14 days in toronto then another 14 days in calgary? ‍♂

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So can i only do the 3 days government authorized hotel quarantine in Toronto, and the rest in calgary? Or do i quarantine full 14 days in toronto then another 14 days in calgary? ‍♂
You need to wait for the testing result upon arrival in order to know what's going next.