+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qualifying for EE Despite Work Gap / Continuous Work Issue Unique to Motion Picture Industry

heywhimsy

May 20, 2020
Hello,

I work in the Film/Television industry in the US and am looking to immigrate to Canada. I am having trouble figuring out if I qualify for Express Entry due to the nature of my industry and how there are usually gaps of a few unpaid weeks between Productions.

I've worked consistently under NOC B (Job Code: 5226) for almost 4 years. I am a member of a union (IATSE) for this position. The major film studios hire us per project and provide full time employment that lasts anywhere from 3-8 months. When the project ends, I list myself as available with the union and there is usually a window of about one month where I am unpaid before I am hired onto a new Production/Project (usually with a new company). As a result of this - I technically never have 100% "continuous" work. Does this mean my 4 years of professional skilled union labor is worthless to the Canadian immigration system? Is there any other way to make my work qualify?

The best option I can think of right now is that in the last year, I had a 1 month unpaid gap between two projects that were both for NBC/Universal. Since I came back to work for the same company - could I theoretically count that month as unpaid time off and qualify for the OINP Human Capital Stream (having that be my one year of continuous work experience)? It's a strange business to be in since we're technically freelancers (going gig to gig) but not contracted or self employed.

Happy to provide any other details necessary. Thanks.

heywhimsy

May 20, 2020
I've hit 1560 continuous work hours many times (I usually work 60-70 hour weeks), however since I'm not allowed to count over 30 hours per week, the NBC situation I described (13 months with 4 weeks unpaid in the middle) is the closest I've come to spreading them out over a full year. Its just how our business is designed. Its nearly impossible to acquire 1,560 continuous hours if they only let me count 30 per week. The funny thing is I worked well over 3000 hours in the last year.

My work - "technical support and other jobs in motion pictures" is even listed under the Self Employment path of Immigration that doesn't have this continuous work requirement (https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=291&top=6), but I don't think I can apply for that because the studios don't allow anyone but the actors, directors, and producers to be paid as "self employed" people.

I've unfortunately already searched the forums and looked at nearly every post I could find regarding "continuous work" and "work gaps" and there doesn't seem to be any clear answer for my situation.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: