+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qualify for CERB?

frankyfix

Jun 24, 2019
Hi there,

I am not 100% sure if I do qualify for CERB since my situation is not super common (I guess :)).

I am a casual worker. Means, my boss asks me sometimes to do a project and I say yes/no.

I had a project for April, but my boss told my that the client suspended everything due to COVID, means I could not get the project and hence I had no income. I am not eliable for EI. I made more than 5k last year/in 2019. I do have no other source of income.

In my understanding, this qualifies me for CERB. My boss also told me, that I probably can not work the next time until this thing is over.

Questions:
1) For me it is clear that for March/April I can apply for CERB since the client suspended the project, correct?
2) But what is for the following month? Is the statement from my boss enough that there will be probably no work for me until this thing is over?
3) At the at of the tax year, I understood that I have to proof everything. Does that mean I have to forward emails from my boss stating that the customer suspended everything?

Many question! I want to avoid any implications with the CRA or also that I have to pay it back. I was trying to call the hotline but it says that due to exessive volume the queue is full and I have to call again.

Thank you people!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

I am not 100% sure if I do qualify for CERB since my situation is not super common (I guess :)).

I am a casual worker. Means, my boss asks me sometimes to do a project and I say yes/no.

I had a project for April, but my boss told my that the client suspended everything due to COVID, means I could not get the project and hence I had no income. I am not eliable for EI. I made more than 5k last year/in 2019. I do have no other source of income.

In my understanding, this qualifies me for CERB. My boss also told me, that I probably can not work the next time until this thing is over.

Questions:
1) For me it is clear that for March/April I can apply for CERB since the client suspended the project, correct?
2) But what is for the following month? Is the statement from my boss enough that there will be probably no work for me until this thing is over?
3) At the at of the tax year, I understood that I have to proof everything. Does that mean I have to forward emails from my boss stating that the customer suspended everything?

Many question! I want to avoid any implications with the CRA or also that I have to pay it back. I was trying to call the hotline but it says that due to exessive volume the queue is full and I have to call again.

Thank you people!
It doesn’t sound like you qualify for PR if you were not working especially in March.