+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

QSW Application at the last stage - Advice Needed

linkers

Jul 9, 2013
Hi Guys,

I am currently living in London and applied for PR application (based on CSQ) for myself, spouse and two children Nov last year. I have recently received a request for Medicals which I will book today.

I have few questions and I will be really grateful if you could please provide your valuable advice:

1). How long is the initial visa valid for. i.e. how much time I will have to do the landing after getting the visa ? (as I can't enter Canada before mid Feb 2014 due to the school holidays in the UK) ?

2). If I can't enter Canada before my visa runs out, how easy would it be for me to get another visa from London ?

3). I am planning to stay in Montreal for a week and come back to the UK and once I have everything ready, I can then move to Montreal for good. Would this cause any issues at the airport ? I have heard if the immigration officer finds out that you are only staying for a week and going back, they don't let you complete the PR Card application forms.

4). How much cash will I have to show at the airport. We are 4 people in total (myself, my wife and two children 4 & 5 years old).

5). I don't know anybody in Quebec but I have some family in other provinces of Canada. Would it be possible that I land in Montreal and provide the address of a family member who is in a different province for the purpose of PR Cards ? (so my family can send me the PR cards via courier later).

Regards,
Linkers

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
1. Your visa is valid for 1 year since the date of medical tests (unless your passport expires before that).

2. Don't know. You are expected to apply within 1 year of CSQ issuance. If you can't enter within your visa period, the CSQ also may lose its validity. So the whole process will have to restart.

3. No issues. I did the same.

4. 3 months of expenses need to be at your disposal. For the exact amount, check quebec immigration website.

5. Not advisable while landing - it may give a hint to the border folks that you don't have an intention to settle in quebec. Instead just don't give any address. After landing is done, you may update the address online (any address in Canada should be ok).

linkers

Jul 9, 2013
Hi hobbes,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I would have a return ticket from London to Montreal and I will not be visiting any other city in Canada. Please can you confirm that I can give any Canadian address (even outside Quebec) so my family can send me the PR cards to me in UK ?

Also how was your experience in Quebec ? I am an IT Professional, is it possible to find a job in my profession without knowing much French ?

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
A friend I know did this: landed in Montreal, returned back. After 3 months, he updated his address to an address in Ontario. Had no issues. So it is possible, may be you should gi ve yourself some time so that you don't have the immigration folks thinking your landing in Montreal was just a deception, you had always intended to live in Ontario.

The general notion is that Programming/techie jobs in Montreal may not need french.

linkers

Jul 9, 2013
Hi hobbes,

Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that I have to provide a Canadian address after landing in order to activate my PR. And the PR cards are dispatched within couple of months of landing. Please can you let me know if I am missing something ?

hobbes

Star Member
Mar 20, 2008
You don't have to provide an address immediately at landing - just say, "I don't have a canadian address at this time". You can update it later (online or by phone). PR card is dispatched within a couple of months after you provide an address.

linkers

Jul 9, 2013
Thanks hobbes. You have been really helpful. I didn't know the fact that I can provide the address later.