+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q's ...Validity of Obtained Police Certificate...URGENT

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
anon3721 said:
Thanks for your input dpenabill. This really sheds some light for me, as I was increasingly becoming anxious at the fact that my file is just sitting in Sydney while everyone else's fly past.

So if presence abroad in a country for 6+ months is higher risk, and I have been abroad for 6+ months in TWO countries, I'm 99% sure at this point that it's a non-routine case. Do you happen to know what the current processing time for non-routine is? CIC does not even say that now. Used to say 36 months or something...
Non-routine does not mean much. There is no concrete time line even for applications which are, so to say, routine. All the time line information does is indicate how long it can go, and even then that is still just an indefinite projection, not a limit.

Time lines remain unpredictable. Even generally, but more so for any particular individual.

While I noted that I agree there is probably an increased risk for those who have spent significant time abroad in particular countries, there is no way to quantify such risk, the risk is indefinite and not tied to any time line, and thus this is just one among many factors which can influence how things go, and how quickly or slowly they go.

In the past there were many delayed cases obviously related to delays in background clearances. So this is a risk. But again an indefinite risk.

And, frankly, many applicants have various factors which elevate their risk of this or that additional delay in processing, which unless they have been a close student of the process and followed information about it from multiple sources, they might not recognize there are such risks . . . and for some there is no impact, while for others some impact, and for others a big impact . . . nothing anyone could do to change the course of things much, if at all, once the application was submitted.

Once the cake is in the oven (once the application is submitted), the applicant's role is mostly to wait and watch, watch eCas and the mailbox for notice as to what happens next.

aries9811

Jun 6, 2009
New York
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
March 17,2010 --> Documents Recieved @VO April 2,2010
Nomination.....
Not Applicable
AOR Received.
Second AOR 1st May 2010
IELTS Request
March 17,2010
File Transfer...
Nov 2, 2011
Med's Request
Jan 26,2012
Med's Done....
Received @Ottawa Feb 17,2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
May 10, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
June 2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
Do we still require cerificate from RCMP in Canada also ?

Also by the calculation, 4 yrs are accountable from the date of signing, does that mean if we travel abroad and then submit the application but we stayed longer enough for the required physical presence, the previous days are still considered ? and we don't have to submit the certificate ?

Looks like it's an extra costs plus time in addition to processing time itself.

Thanks.

anon3721

Nov 17, 2015
Just an update for those with police certificates... After a little bit more than six months, my application finally went from "Received" to "In Progress", just thought I'd provide a point of reference.

The official request letter for a police certificate from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (You may need it to obtain police certificate from like Japan) has not arrived yet.

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Based on CIC website, there are 2 different scenario regarding the police certificare requirement:

1. based on citizenship application guide page (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp), "Police certificate(s) (as required)

For any country, other than Canada, where you were present for six (6) months or longer (cumulative) during the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application, you are required to provide a police certificate for that country."

2. based on police certificate guide page of cic (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp), "In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate. You must get one from each country or territory where you have spent six or more months since the age of 18. For example:

if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

Can somebody clarify this for us that for citizenship application, which timeline is correct for police certificate requirement (any country, other than Canada, where you were present for six (6) months or longer (cumulative) during the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application or each country or territory where you have spent six or more months since the age of 18)?

anon3721

Nov 17, 2015
Use the citizenship application guide.

The police certificate webpage info is for PR applicants (since 18 years old). It's pretty messed up. Like for Japan it says "wait until your official letter of request after your PR application". I just stated in my application that Japan wants an official letter of request so I don't have the police cert right now. The entire police certificate section of CIC's website is specifically made for PRs. We are just piggybacking the information there.

I don't think people at CIC actually know what they are doing with this whole police cert thing... You just have to use your best judgement.

Maybe Bill C-6 should add amendment: Citizenship applicants must have IQ > 130 or something

zorroo

Apr 1, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zorroo said:
Based on CIC website, there are 2 different scenario regarding the police certificare requirement:

1. based on citizenship application guide page (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp), "Police certificate(s) (as required)

For any country, other than Canada, where you were present for six (6) months or longer (cumulative) during the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application, you are required to provide a police certificate for that country."

2. based on police certificate guide page of cic (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/intro.asp), "In general, you and all the people in your family who are 18 or older need to get a police certificate. You must get one from each country or territory where you have spent six or more months since the age of 18. For example:

if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.

For the country you currently live in, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

For countries where you have lived for six months or more, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country."

Can somebody clarify this for us that for citizenship application, which timeline is correct for police certificate requirement (any country, other than Canada, where you were present for six (6) months or longer (cumulative) during the four (4) years immediately before the date of your application or each country or territory where you have spent six or more months since the age of 18)?
Any other thoughts? dpenabill, johnr, diplomatru, ...

anon3721

Nov 17, 2015
I went to the citizenship test recently, and was given a CIT-0502 that had original police certificate from whichever country box listed as something that CIC wants.

I forwarded that CIT-0502 to the country that needs it.

If you need "official letter from CIC" in order to get police certificate from some country, I guess this is how you get it :p

.Steve

Sep 9, 2016
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dpenabill said:
For purposes of the police certificate requirement, which derives from the prohibitions, the four years that matter are those four years immediately preceding the date the application for citizenship is made. This has no direct relationship to the calculation of physical presence, and thus the online calculator is irrelevant.
Hello dpenabill,

So if am applying for Citizenship this month i.e October 2016.

Will the 4 years immediately preceding be October 2012 to October 2016?

I did my landing in Canada in June 2011 and then came to live in Canada on 1st July 2012.

Hoping I do not need the police certificate.

Please advice

Thanks.

zzzz...

Oct 19, 2016
.Steve said:
Hello dpenabill,

So if am applying for Citizenship this month i.e October 2016.

Will the 4 years immediately preceding be October 2012 to October 2016?

I did my landing in Canada in June 2011 and then came to live in Canada on 1st July 2012.

Hoping I do not need the police certificate.

Please advice

Thanks.

Hi Steve/dpenabill,
I am in the same situation as you(Steve). landed end of july 2012. I am planning to apply in November and was wondering if the 4 years referenced are last calendar 4 years as to say: 2015, 2014, 2013 and 2012 or from November 2012 to November 2016 as I am planning to apply in November.

any help/assistance is highly appreciated!

Thank you!

ZZZ...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Current application (last I looked . . . it is subject to change anytime) asks if the applicant spent a total of six months or more in any country during the preceding four years. That is, whether or not the total number of days the applicant spent in any given country (other than Canada), during the 1460 days preceding the date the application is made (date signed), add up to 183 or more. If the answer to this item is "yes" then the applicant must submit a police certificate from that country.

If the answer is "no," the applicant does not need to submit a police certificate with the application itself. That noted, however, IRCC can of course subsequently request an applicant to submit a police certificate from any country the applicant visited or appears to have visited.

Thus, for example, if the application is signed November 9, 2016, the applicant is required to respond "yes" to this item if between November 9, 2012 and November 9, 2016, the applicant spent a total of 183 days in any given country (whether all at once, or a total of 183 days over the course of multiple short trips), and then submit a police certificate for that country. Failure to include police certificate would make the application incomplete and it would likely be returned to the applicant.

But, again, even if the answer to this item is "no," it is possible that later IRCC could request a police certificate for any country the applicant visited . . . if, for example, in the process of conducting background checks IRCC perceives the applicant might have a criminal charge in some other country, IRCC can ask for a police certificate from that country even if the applicant was only in that country briefly. This would not affect the completeness of the application itself, but could be part of processing and assessing the applicant, particularly as to whether or not there is a prohibition precluding a grant of citizenship (such as a pending indictable offense in another country).