+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Qorax: Immunizations and Health Insurance with broken stay spells over 5 years

lotus20

Apr 14, 2012
Hello Qorax,
i went thru this amazing site - such a wealth of information. Thank you for leading me to this.
i haven't been able to figure out whether adults need any immunizations before landing.

Secondly, i plan to fulfill my requirement of 24 months stay over 5 years, to maintain PR status, in broken spells e.g. 1 month - Year 1, 2.5 months in Year 2, 4 months in Year 3 etc. i understand that Insurance Cover is available on Day 1 in certain states e.g Ontario (and not in BC); but the Health Card comes after a wait of 3 months; and i need to have stayed in Canada in those 3 months waiting period + 1 month post card. Is this info correct?

Does this mean that i will not fulfill the criteria for Health Insurance Cover at all and will need to have Travel Insurance for all my visits in these 5 years? It is possible that such broken spells of visits may continue thereafter too.
Thank you for your time.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ontario and BC both have a 3 month wait for health care.

All provinces have the rule that you must live there for at least 6 months a year to be eligible for health care coverage. Ontario has an additional one that says your first months after moving to Ontario, you must be staying there for at least 5. Therefore, if you meet your residency requirements by staying less than 6 months a year, you will never meet the requirements to keep your health care coverage.

You might get away with applying for health care and just not telling them that you have been gone and hope they don't find out but if they do, they are liable to charge you for the services you have received.

calgaryimmigration

Star Member
Dec 1, 2011
Leon said:
Ontario and BC both have a 3 month wait for health care.

All provinces have the rule that you must live there for at least 6 months a year to be eligible for health care coverage. Ontario has an additional one that says your first months after moving to Ontario, you must be staying there for at least 5. Therefore, if you meet your residency requirements by staying less than 6 months a year, you will never meet the requirements to keep your health care coverage.

You might get away with applying for health care and just not telling them that you have been gone and hope they don't find out but if they do, they are liable to charge you for the services you have received.

agree!