+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q3a and 3b in citizenship Application

b52shot

Star Member
Oct 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello everyone,

This might have been discussed before, but its still confusing for me. My wife's given name which includes her first name, father name and grandfather name is too long and was truncated because of system limitation to 15 characters. Both Confirmation of Permanent Residence form and PR card has the name truncated by one character, however when we did our landing the officer added the truncated character using his pen to the Confirmation of Permanent Residence.
What is she supposed to fill in Q3a? The full name or truncated name ? How about Q3b?

When she renewed her PR card, she just put the full name and the application went through, should we do the same with the citizenship application ?

Thanks

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
b52shot said:
Hello everyone,

This might have been discussed before, but its still confusing for me. My wife's given name which includes her first name, father name and grandfather name is too long and was truncated because of system limitation to 15 characters. Both Confirmation of Permanent Residence form and PR card has the name truncated by one character, however when we did our landing the officer added the truncated character using his pen to the Confirmation of Permanent Residence.
What is she supposed to fill in Q3a? The full name or truncated name ? How about Q3b?

When she renewed her PR card, she just put the full name and the application went through, should we do the same with the citizenship application ?

Thanks
For Q3A you indicate the truncated name that is on your immigration document.
For Q3B you indicate the full name and check the first box.

b52shot

Star Member
Oct 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure I should put the truncated name even though the officer added the missing letter by hand?

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
b52shot said:
Are you sure I should put the truncated name even though the officer added the missing letter by hand?
Yes, handwritten part is not an official document.

I can add it too :)))

RUCND

May 6, 2016
Hi,

I had the same issue in my application for citizenship.

My confirmation of permanent residence is missing the last letter for my middle name (two names and two last names do not help). there is a maximum number of characters, but right now I can not find the reference (my name still was shorter than the maximum).

My PR card was renewed once with the last letter missing in my middle name, so two PR cards issues with the truncated name.

For citizenship application the choice of truncated (shortened name) on immigration document was selected (3B). Also I sent a separate note explaining the last letter was missing in my middle name maybe because of space and asking for name change if applied. A copy of bio page (where name is) the passport presented at landing was added. All my id documents appear with my correct name (medicare, drivers license,, etc), maybe I should have included a birth certificate with the translation to add more evidence, but decided to send it anyway.

If your name was shortened (truncated) on your immigration document and does not appear in the “Remarks” section of your immigration document you must provide one of the following supporting documents showing your full name:

Passport of entry displaying your full name (the passport you used to immigrate to Canada), or
Canadian visa counterfoil, or
Birth certificate issued prior to your date of entry to Canada (date you immigrated to Canada).
Have you legally changed your name or are you requesting a different name on your citizenship certificate than the name on your immigration document due to a minor or significant change in spelling?

There is no remarks in my record of landing and did not realized before why my name was different from my passport (I should have asked for that too).

The other option which I did not take was to ask for a correction before sending the citizenship application:

If you have applied and obtained an amendment to your Record of Landing, or Confirmation of Permanent Residence due to errors made by Canadian immigration officials when recording your name, then you must submit a copy of the amendment or a letter confirming the change of name.

AOR was received on April 11th and is now in process since april 19th. No further information has been received, but I wonder if with this "name issue" it qualifies as non standard application and can take longer.

For now I am still waiting. Also Permanent residence card renewal application was sent the same day (no indication of name error) and I have not received even AOR for my PR application.

Any news I will inform...

Good luck!

Almost_Canadian

Star Member
Dec 2, 2015
Similar case for me. My middle name was truncated by 2 alphabets. PR card, driver's licence COPR etc all have the truncated name.
If you apply for citizenship and request the name to be changed then it's going to become an non-routine application. So I suggest you apply with the truncated name and once you receive your citizenship, you can apply to change your name to the full one.

b52shot

Star Member
Oct 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Getting more confused as I read different feedback here and there.
Here is the situation, the name was truncated because of system limitation.
The CIC website used to have the below comment:

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY NEW PR CARD HAS A MISTAKE OR SOMETHING IS MISSING?

You can apply for a reissued PR Card if the mistake was made by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Please note that if your given name has more than 15 letters or your surname has more than 20 letters, the name appearing on the PR Card will be truncated or shortened. This is not a mistake and the card will not be reissued to change the name should this be the situation.

but it seems this limitation was changed and the new note says:

Note: The PR card has a space limitation of 28 characters (letters) for last names (family names) and 28 characters for given names (first and middle names). If your name is longer, the name on the PR card will automatically be shortened to the first 28 characters each for both the given and last names. This is not an error and the PR card cannot be modified to include more characters.

So CIC does have a record of the full name.

Landing visa has full name
OHIP has full name
Driver license has full name
Only PR Card and COPR has truncated name

Which brings me back to the original question if they do have in their system the full name, do I write the full name or truncated name in Q3a ???

Godzilla9

Sep 22, 2012
b52shot said:
Getting more confused as I read different feedback here and there.
Here is the situation, the name was truncated because of system limitation.
The CIC website used to have the below comment:

WHAT SHOULD I DO IF MY NEW PR CARD HAS A MISTAKE OR SOMETHING IS MISSING?

You can apply for a reissued PR Card if the mistake was made by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). Please note that if your given name has more than 15 letters or your surname has more than 20 letters, the name appearing on the PR Card will be truncated or shortened. This is not a mistake and the card will not be reissued to change the name should this be the situation.

but it seems this limitation was changed and the new note says:

Note: The PR card has a space limitation of 28 characters (letters) for last names (family names) and 28 characters for given names (first and middle names). If your name is longer, the name on the PR card will automatically be shortened to the first 28 characters each for both the given and last names. This is not an error and the PR card cannot be modified to include more characters.

So CIC does have a record of the full name.

Landing visa has full name
OHIP has full name
Driver license has full name
Only PR Card and COPR has truncated name

Which brings me back to the original question if they do have in their system the full name, do I write the full name or truncated name in Q3a ???

No one above contradicted each other. You are wasting your and more importantly other people's time here.

RUCND

May 6, 2016
RUCND said:
Hi,

I had the same issue in my application for citizenship.

My confirmation of permanent residence is missing the last letter for my middle name (two names and two last names do not help). there is a maximum number of characters, but right now I can not find the reference (my name still was shorter than the maximum).

My PR card was renewed once with the last letter missing in my middle name, so two PR cards issues with the truncated name.

For citizenship application the choice of truncated (shortened name) on immigration document was selected (3B). Also I sent a separate note explaining the last letter was missing in my middle name maybe because of space and asking for name change if applied. A copy of bio page (where name is) the passport presented at landing was added. All my id documents appear with my correct name (medicare, drivers license,, etc), maybe I should have included a birth certificate with the translation to add more evidence, but decided to send it anyway.

If your name was shortened (truncated) on your immigration document and does not appear in the “Remarks” section of your immigration document you must provide one of the following supporting documents showing your full name:

Passport of entry displaying your full name (the passport you used to immigrate to Canada), or
Canadian visa counterfoil, or
Birth certificate issued prior to your date of entry to Canada (date you immigrated to Canada).
Have you legally changed your name or are you requesting a different name on your citizenship certificate than the name on your immigration document due to a minor or significant change in spelling?

There is no remarks in my record of landing and did not realized before why my name was different from my passport (I should have asked for that too).

The other option which I did not take was to ask for a correction before sending the citizenship application:

If you have applied and obtained an amendment to your Record of Landing, or Confirmation of Permanent Residence due to errors made by Canadian immigration officials when recording your name, then you must submit a copy of the amendment or a letter confirming the change of name.

AOR was received on April 11th and is now in process since april 19th. No further information has been received, but I wonder if with this "name issue" it qualifies as non standard application and can take longer.

For now I am still waiting. Also Permanent residence card renewal application was sent the same day (no indication of name error) and I have not received even AOR for my PR application.

Any news I will inform...

Good luck!

My name was corrected in the letter I received with information about the citizenship test date.
Also eCAS shows the correct name now.

At the same time with Citizenship process a process to renew PR card was started.
AOR for PR process was received by email with the name corrected (eCAS does not show information for PR card process yet).

Everything seems to indicate the name is correct now in CIC.

nhosany

Apr 8, 2015
Guys as of today, the form has changed, there is no way to indicate which name you would like to appear on the Citizenship certificate. Also there is no option like truncated name, marriage etc... so how now we will ask CIC to include our full name on the citizenship certificate instead of the truncated name.
See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0002E-2.pdf

See guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

this has changed since october 2016. Any ideas?

ajithpl

Aug 5, 2010
Surrey, BC
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nhosany said:
Guys as of today, the form has changed, there is no way to indicate which name you would like to appear on the Citizenship certificate. Also there is no option like truncated name, marriage etc... so how now we will ask CIC to include our full name on the citizenship certificate instead of the truncated name.
See link below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/citizen/CIT0002E-2.pdf

See guide:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

this has changed since october 2016. Any ideas?
It seems now they want to have the record of landing document changed before one need to apply for citizenship. If yours came as truncated; better you may request for a correction using the 1436E form. Alternatively, you can take a chance by detailing the truncation as a separate/ covering letter in the citizenship application. Should they dont accept it, the application would be returned in 1-2 weeks.