+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q13 Immigration Status - Can someone who has Middle East Residency Visa help?

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Hello,

I have Saudi Arabian Residency Visa still valid. I have kept it valid just so I can visit my family easily. I go on vacation every year to visit my family. I was just wondering how should I name it for q13 in the application form. Does anybody who has similar visa from a middle eastern country know how we should call it? In the application form, they say to specifically mention if it is a study or work status. If I just call it Saudi Arabian Residency Visa, would that suffice? Or do I have to mention work or study as well? The Saudi residency visa gives you the right to employment as well, but they usually call it Residency Visa.

Please help if someone from the middle east has the same visa.

Thanks.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
As showing on ( Iqama ) .. residence permit
Thanks for the reply baaqeel. I know the translation of iqama is residence permit, but CIC asks for a specific detail, work, study etc. So I was just wondering if I just write residency visa or residence permit, would they consider the answer vague? How are you going to write it? Did you have that visa as well?

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I have Saudi Arabian Residency Visa still valid. I have kept it valid just so I can visit my family easily. I go on vacation every year to visit my family. I was just wondering how should I name it for q13 in the application form. Does anybody who has similar visa from a middle eastern country know how we should call it? In the application form, they say to specifically mention if it is a study or work status. If I just call it Saudi Arabian Residency Visa, would that suffice? Or do I have to mention work or study as well? The Saudi residency visa gives you the right to employment as well, but they usually call it Residency Visa.

Please help if someone from the middle east has the same visa.

Thanks.
Visas from UAE or KSA are typically work visas - not immigration status. But IRCC has mentioned very clearly that all types of visas (student, work, etc) should be mentioned so we have to write details.
My husband holds UAE residency too and he mentioned as RESIDENCE VISA (IQAMA) as he wasn't willing to write work visa.

mazamilam

Jan 26, 2015
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
11/05/2015
Doc's Request.
23/07/2015
AOR Received.
11/05/2015
IELTS Request
Done 8.5
Med's Request
Upfront Medicals
Med's Done....
06-04-2015
Passport Req..
24/07/2015
VISA ISSUED...
04/08/2015
LANDED..........
23-08-2012
I'm from UAE too. I have written Permanent Resident as my status for UAE. I too have a valid visa for UAE and visit every year to keep the visa active.

I wrote the same thing for my PR application and there was no issue.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
Visas from UAE or KSA are typically work visas - not immigration status. But IRCC has mentioned very clearly that all types of visas (student, work, etc) should be mentioned so we have to write details.
My husband holds UAE residency too and he mentioned as RESIDENCE VISA (IQAMA) as he wasn't willing to write work visa.
If we just write residence visa, would that be enough? As you are also saying in your post that we have to write details, work, study etc. Would writing iqama help? Iqama is an arabic word, which might not make any sense to the IRCC official.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
I'm from UAE too. I have written Permanent Resident as my status for UAE. I too have a valid visa for UAE and visit every year to keep the visa active.

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if we can write permanent residence. As we know that these iqamas need renewal almost every couple of years. Also, for PR application I wouldn't worry too much about it. But for citizenship application, I was just thinking if we write that we have a permanent residency of another country, is it going to raise any flag to the officer that the person might not be residing in Canada all the time? Specially if we list unemployed in the eligibility period, which might lead to an RQ request or something. Maybe I am just too paranoid.

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure if we can write permanent residence. As we know that these iqamas need renewal almost every couple of years. Also, for PR application I wouldn't worry too much about it. But for citizenship application, I was just thinking if we write that we have a permanent residency of another country, is it going to raise any flag to the officer that the person might not be residing in Canada all the time? Specially if we list unemployed in the eligibility period, which might lead to an RQ request or something. Maybe I am just too paranoid.
No you should not write permanent resident because all middle east countries issue work visa and IRCC officers knows about it any middle eastern valid visa will raise a red flag to IRCC

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If we just write residence visa, would that be enough? As you are also saying in your post that we have to write details, work, study etc. Would writing iqama help? Iqama is an arabic word, which might not make any sense to the IRCC official.
There are couple of items:
(1) holding valid UAE visa. IRCC officers know that UAE only issues work or residence visas. So you are at a higher risk to prove that 'you were not working there for entire eligibility period.'
(2) Then you have to ensure that while having valid UAE visa you were in Canada, so they need UAE Airport Exit-Entry details (Record of Movement)
(3) Last, if you failed to convince Citizenship Officer at the time of interview as 'why you have valid UAE visa' then be prepared for full blown Residency Questionnaire but chances are less now a days since in Canada they installed automatic PR cards scanning machines from 2014 onward.

It would be good advise that after getting AOR, send color photocopies of your entire passport + stamps translation to IRCC to avoid any mishap.

HeroMember

Star Member
Oct 26, 2016
There are couple of items:
(1) holding valid UAE visa. IRCC officers know that UAE only issues work or residence visas. So you are at a higher risk to prove that 'you were not working there for entire eligibility period.'
(2) Then you have to ensure that while having valid UAE visa you were in Canada, so they need UAE Airport Exit-Entry details (Record of Movement)
(3) Last, if you failed to convince Citizenship Officer at the time of interview as 'why you have valid UAE visa' then be prepared for full blown Residency Questionnaire but chances are less now a days since in Canada they installed automatic PR cards scanning machines from 2014 onward.

It would be good advise that after getting AOR, send color photocopies of your entire passport + stamps translation to IRCC to avoid any mishap.
So what would you suggest, just write Residence Visa or Work Visa. I was thinking maybe I should write Residence/Work Visa.
I have all the Exit Re-entry stamps on my passport, thats not a problem. I kept it valid just because its easier for me to visit my family. Otherwise every time I need to go, I would have to apply for a visit visa. Would that be good enough reason.?

NN74

Jun 8, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
So what would you suggest, just write Residence Visa or Work Visa. I was thinking maybe I should write Residence/Work Visa.
I have all the Exit Re-entry stamps on my passport, thats not a problem. I kept it valid just because its easier for me to visit my family. Otherwise every time I need to go, I would have to apply for a visit visa. Would that be good enough reason.?
1. Write only Work / Residence Visa
2. Get Airport Entry Record from UAE Airport authorities, get it attested by UAE Foreign Office then in Canada send it to UAE Consulate Ottawa for local attestation. After these steps it would be accepted by Citizenship Officer.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
similar situation here however i was on my dads sponsorship in UAE until 2003 when i came to canada to study, I was however still visiting dubai every dec until 2005. I then received work visa in canada and finally got my PR in 2014. however i did go to dubai in 2008 to get my old residence visa officially cancelled (stamp on passport) as i needed to apply for PR and had not visited dubai until 2008 on a visit visa.

my question is

1. what do i put as my status during my time in dubai under my fathers sponsorship (resident visa or sponsored visa)?
2. what is the last date of validity for uae visa, is it the last date i exited dubai (2003) or the date my old resident visa was officially cancelled in 2008?

none of these should raise an issue i hope as it is outside my eligibility period. right??

KRP

Jan 13, 2012
Category........
FSW
LANDED..........
01/02/2011
similar situation here however i was on my dads sponsorship in UAE until 2003 when i came to canada to study, I was however still visiting dubai every dec until 2005. I then received work visa in canada and finally got my PR in 2014. however i did go to dubai in 2008 to get my old residence visa officially cancelled (stamp on passport) as i needed to apply for PR and had not visited dubai until 2008 on a visit visa.

my question is

1. what do i put as my status during my time in dubai under my fathers sponsorship (resident visa or sponsored visa)?
2. what is the last date of validity for uae visa, is it the last date i exited dubai (2003) or the date my old resident visa was officially cancelled in 2008?

none of these should raise an issue i hope as it is outside my eligibility period. right??
The q13 on the form is actually pertaining to check which all countries citizenship one holds currently.
Now all your residence visa etc of Dubai are already known to IRCC as you have provided them during PR process. Send all details as per your physical presence eligibility only.

Reactions: Becksterd

sansnom

Mar 10, 2017

Do you mind sharing your timeline? I wrote PR status in another country, I have not received my test invitation yet. My case is in IP since Nov 14.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
The q13 on the form is actually pertaining to check which all countries citizenship one holds currently.
Now all your residence visa etc of Dubai are already known to IRCC as you have provided them during PR process. Send all details as per your physical presence eligibility only.
Thank you KRP... I will mention only eligibility period residency which is indian citizenship...

How come others are writing UAE residency still? The question says HAVE YOU EVER HAD....?