+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q:Inland spousal PR sponsorship, owp + extension to visitor status

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
Hello,

I’m finnish citizen and I’m currently visiting/living in Canada under visitor status with my canadian citizen husband and our two dual citizen kids (Finnish and Canadian) who are 4 and 2 years old. Me and my husband have lived together in Finland since 2013 where we married and had our first child in 2015. Since this May my husband has worked in good position for Parks Canada. He has now been offered permanent position from his employer which confirmed our plan to settle permanently in Canada. We have decided to proceed to get my residency permit through the inland spousal sponsorship + OWP so that I can remain in Canada - and possibly work - while PR application is being processed. My current and first visitor visa (6 months) expires on October 24th 2019 and we are working hard now to get the application package submitted asap.

The 1st question is: Does submitting OWP+ PR give me "implied status" from the moment our application package has been received for processing, or when the application has been proved to be completely/correctly filed? Or have I completely misunderstood that OWP application gives me implied status? Or should I apply first for extension to my visitor status to remain legal in Canada for sure, and then send in the OWP+PR application?

Or last scenario: Would it be wiser to apply for visitor extension and then apply for Outland Spousal Sponsorship in Canada which means that I can't apply for work permit, but if my visitor status extension for some reason is refused I, and our kids, could return to Finland for the time my outland PR is being processed.

I stress about time and I don't seem to find the correct information about the "OWP application --> implied status" timeline, if there is one..

Thanks!

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
1. Technically it's from when you submit the OWP application (along with your PR package). I would suggest submitting it at least 4-6 weeks before your current status runs out, because if your application gets returned it tends to be within that window (most folks are reporting getting their AOR, which is a kind of confirmation of application completeness, around 4-6 weeks from when they submit). If you submit that far in advance, you potentially have enough time to fix whatever issue your application has and resubmit before you current status runs out, which would mean you have implied status.

I personally tend to err on the side of caution and would recommend applying for the extension, that way you're at least covered by the extension (or the implied status for that decision, if it takes forever...which it usually does) if your application is returned or for some reason your OWP is refused (unlikely but always a possibility).

As far as your last scenario...it depends. If your husband can support all of you on just his salary, you could definitely apply outland and apply for an extension. IRCC isnt in the business of separating families if they can help it, so while I don't want to say a denial for your extension would be unlikely, you have a decent chance of it being approved.

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
1. Technically it's from when you submit the OWP application (along with your PR package). I would suggest submitting it at least 4-6 weeks before your current status runs out, because if your application gets returned it tends to be within that window (most folks are reporting getting their AOR, which is a kind of confirmation of application completeness, around 4-6 weeks from when they submit). If you submit that far in advance, you potentially have enough time to fix whatever issue your application has and resubmit before you current status runs out, which would mean you have implied status.

I personally tend to err on the side of caution and would recommend applying for the extension, that way you're at least covered by the extension (or the implied status for that decision, if it takes forever...which it usually does) if your application is returned or for some reason your OWP is refused (unlikely but always a possibility).

As far as your last scenario...it depends. If your husband can support all of you on just his salary, you could definitely apply outland and apply for an extension. IRCC isnt in the business of separating families if they can help it, so while I don't want to say a denial for your extension would be unlikely, you have a decent chance of it being approved.
a

Hi, thanks for the reply. We will proceed by applying for my extension and take a bit more time to fill in OPW+ inland PR carefully. I'd assume also that before applying for my OPW+PR - and perhaps even before my visitor extension? - we should make sure that my Canadian husband and our the kids are registered to live here in Canada permanently. Currently we still have all our statuses in Finland since we didn't know if we would stay here more than six months. Is it a good thing to mention in the extension application that our intention is to apply for PR while inland and therefor applying for lets say one year of extension?

Thanks!

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
a

Hi, thanks for the reply. We will proceed by applying for my extension and take a bit more time to fill in OPW+ inland PR carefully. I'd assume also that before applying for my OPW+PR - and perhaps even before my visitor extension? - we should make sure that my Canadian husband and our the kids are registered to live here in Canada permanently. Currently we still have all our statuses in Finland since we didn't know if we would stay here more than six months. Is it a good thing to mention in the extension application that our intention is to apply for PR while inland and therefor applying for lets say one year of extension?

Thanks!
So your husband and children are all Canadian citizens, correct? I don't quite understand what you mean by "registered to live here in Canada permanently," but as long as you have proof of citizenship for your children, since they're dual, they are all free to stay in Canada without any extra effort on their part (short of getting everyone signed up for provincial healthcare).

I would recommend asking for a 6 month extension, that seems to be the standard. You could try for a year, but I don't know if you would get it. It's common to include a statement of your intentions/reason for requesting an extension as a supplemental document with your application. In mine I explained that I was staying with my husband, we were applying for PR inland with an OWP, I wanted the extension so I could maintain legal status in Canada as is required for an inland application, I did not intend to work in Canada unless I had an OWP (and that my husband supports me financially while I am in Canada), and that, should my extension be refused, it would be a hardship for our family if I had to leave Canada but that I would (and that I had a place to go if I had to leave Canada). How much of that was truly necessary I don't know, but I like to be thorough.

Definitely a good strategy to take your time on the PR/OWP application. Mine was returned the first time I submitted it because I forgot to include my birth certificate. I had been over that checklist probably 100 times and I still missed something

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
So your husband and children are all Canadian citizens, correct? I don't quite understand what you mean by "registered to live here in Canada permanently," but as long as you have proof of citizenship for your children, since they're dual, they are all free to stay in Canada without any extra effort on their part (short of getting everyone signed up for provincial healthcare).

I would recommend asking for a 6 month extension, that seems to be the standard. You could try for a year, but I don't know if you would get it. It's common to include a statement of your intentions/reason for requesting an extension as a supplemental document with your application. In mine I explained that I was staying with my husband, we were applying for PR inland with an OWP, I wanted the extension so I could maintain legal status in Canada as is required for an inland application, I did not intend to work in Canada unless I had an OWP (and that my husband supports me financially while I am in Canada), and that, should my extension be refused, it would be a hardship for our family if I had to leave Canada but that I would (and that I had a place to go if I had to leave Canada). How much of that was truly necessary I don't know, but I like to be thorough.

Definitely a good strategy to take your time on the PR/OWP application. Mine was returned the first time I submitted it because I forgot to include my birth certificate. I had been over that checklist probably 100 times and I still missed something
Hey, thanks for your info! I will definitely write something similar on my extension application. Yes hubby and the kids are all Canadian citizens and I guess registering them to healthcare is what I mean by being permanently registered here. In Finland we use a bit different terms and there is registration required for everything :)

OPW+PR application seems pretty simple in principle but there are many points and terms to double-check and I wish to get it right the first time to optimize processing time. Maybe I will get back here with more questions later! Btw, What is the best way to ask technical questions about the application from IRCC...? It would be definitely great to settle here for years to come!

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
Ahhh gotcha :) you're right, it is a pretty simple application, but there are so many pieces that it's easy to forget something or mess something up. This forum is honestly one of the best resources for any questions you might have, I definitely made use of it a ton while I was putting together my package.

As far as technical questions, do you mean help with the opening of forms and whatnot? Or more along the lines of questions about specific questions/sections of the application package?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I’m finnish citizen and I’m currently visiting/living in Canada under visitor status with my canadian citizen husband and our two dual citizen kids (Finnish and Canadian) who are 4 and 2 years old. Me and my husband have lived together in Finland since 2013 where we married and had our first child in 2015. Since this May my husband has worked in good position for Parks Canada. He has now been offered permanent position from his employer which confirmed our plan to settle permanently in Canada. We have decided to proceed to get my residency permit through the inland spousal sponsorship + OWP so that I can remain in Canada - and possibly work - while PR application is being processed. My current and first visitor visa (6 months) expires on October 24th 2019 and we are working hard now to get the application package submitted asap.

The 1st question is: Does submitting OWP+ PR give me "implied status" from the moment our application package has been received for processing, or when the application has been proved to be completely/correctly filed? Or have I completely misunderstood that OWP application gives me implied status? Or should I apply first for extension to my visitor status to remain legal in Canada for sure, and then send in the OWP+PR application?

Or last scenario: Would it be wiser to apply for visitor extension and then apply for Outland Spousal Sponsorship in Canada which means that I can't apply for work permit, but if my visitor status extension for some reason is refused I, and our kids, could return to Finland for the time my outland PR is being processed.

I stress about time and I don't seem to find the correct information about the "OWP application --> implied status" timeline, if there is one..

Thanks!
Implied Status starts when the previous status expires. If you submit the PR/OWP app before Oct 24th, you would have Implied Status after Oct 24th until a decision is made on the OWP app. However, if the PR and/or OWP app were to be returned after Oct 24th, you would be out of status. The way to safeguard against that is to apply for a visitor extension prior to Oct 24th. That way, even if the OWP app is returned after Oct 24th, you will still have valid status from the visitor extension.

You don't need to apply for the visitor extension prior to PR/OWP.

Hey, thanks for your info! I will definitely write something similar on my extension application. Yes hubby and the kids are all Canadian citizens and I guess registering them to healthcare is what I mean by being permanently registered here. In Finland we use a bit different terms and there is registration required for everything :)

OPW+PR application seems pretty simple in principle but there are many points and terms to double-check and I wish to get it right the first time to optimize processing time. Maybe I will get back here with more questions later! Btw, What is the best way to ask technical questions about the application from IRCC...? It would be definitely great to settle here for years to come!
Don't ever ask the IRCC call centre a technical question. The call centre agents are poorly trained and give as much wrong information as they do right.

Ask here on the forum.

Reactions: Jnicole45

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
Thanks for all the replies! I just recently discovered this forum and it's wonderful.

I'm about to submit the extension to status application within the next couple days. Jnicole, did you use extra blank page to explain that you will intend to apply for inland PR and therefor need extra time to stay and prepare carefully the documents? In my opinion there is not enough space to explain my situation in the original application document. If I use extra page does this - or any other extra page where more detailed answer is written to certain question in the application form - need to be signed? Did your husband write Guarantor’s letter for you?

They ask last ten years of employment and occupation history, whew. Can there be gaps in timeline in this form, or should I fill it without any gaps, like the PR application? I have been studying and being on maternity leave quite many years during past 10 yeas, plus I've been constantly working part time and in various projects while studying and staying at home with kiddos. Just wondering how to mark all that in.

Thanks!

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
The guide 5551 says about the Previous Activity or Occupation:

Provide details of your previous Activity or Occupation for the past 10 years. If you are retired, provide the 10 years before your retirement:

Note: If you need more space, print out an additional page of the form, complete this section and submit it with your application.

I guess I can print extra pages of this section to fill in more info. I'm still wondering if there can be gaps in the timeline or do I have to explain all employment and occupations for the past 10 years...?

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
The short answer is yes, I attached an extra page. But I actually did it as an "additional document" (listed as "optional" on the page where you attach all the files) as opposed to including it in the same document as the application itself. My additional document was my letter about my intention and plans, along with my receipts for the application fees for our sponsorship/PR and OWP, all compiled into one PDF (since they limit you to only one file per section).

Do your best to have no gaps in your history. It's tedious, I ended up having about 6-8 extra pages because I too had periods of employment interspersed with study, but gaps are suspicious. But you only have to go month to month, you don't have to narrow it down to the day, so if you had one activity (ie a temporary part time job) that ended on the 15th of June, and didn't have anything else start until the 10th of July of the same year, you don't have to account for that gap, because you had one activity end in June 20XX and one begin July 20XX, if that makes sense. It's perfectly acceptable to have periods of unemployment or maternity leave or whatnot, but what I learned from one of the application guides (I can't remember if it was the complete guide for the PR application or the OWP) you just have to account for the gap. I have heard of folks using a word document with a similarly formatted table to include the rest of their history instead of just multiple copies of the page of the application, but I can't say how successful that was for them

Pilkela

Sep 10, 2019
T
The short answer is yes, I attached an extra page. But I actually did it as an "additional document" (listed as "optional" on the page where you attach all the files) as opposed to including it in the same document as the application itself. My additional document was my letter about my intention and plans, along with my receipts for the application fees for our sponsorship/PR and OWP, all compiled into one PDF (since they limit you to only one file per section).

Do your best to have no gaps in your history. It's tedious, I ended up having about 6-8 extra pages because I too had periods of employment interspersed with study, but gaps are suspicious. But you only have to go month to month, you don't have to narrow it down to the day, so if you had one activity (ie a temporary part time job) that ended on the 15th of June, and didn't have anything else start until the 10th of July of the same year, you don't have to account for that gap, because you had one activity end in June 20XX and one begin July 20XX, if that makes sense. It's perfectly acceptable to have periods of unemployment or maternity leave or whatnot, but what I learned from one of the application guides (I can't remember if it was the complete guide for the PR application or the OWP) you just have to account for the gap. I have heard of folks using a word document with a similarly formatted table to include the rest of their history instead of just multiple copies of the page of the application, but I can't say how successful that was for them
Thanks for the answer. I was just wondering is it enough that I declare "BA and MASTER studies 09/2007 - 06/2019" since I have been constantly studying more or less during that time. And yes, in Finland you can obtain right to study BA and MA courses simultaneously, but you can only obtain the MA diploma if you already have fully completed BA degree. I would then declare all the other activities (employment, maternity leaves, couple months of holidays here and there) in month to month manner. Or should I break down in months the study time, too, since there have been some periods where I have been registered to the university but working etc. full time? If I do this I think I will have like 20-30 extra pages, especially if I follow their instructions of printing that part of the application as many times you need (you can fit only one employment/occupation/activity per extra page), oh dear. I have been doing so many things at the same time and it's difficult to fit it in this format. Anyhow I'm planning to write an explanation of my employment/occupation/activity history in the cover letter. Or should I write separate explanation letter for the employment etc. history?

I hope I can articulate my questions and concerns clearly enough.

Thanks a lot, again! This forum makes all the difference in trying to do the right thing :)

Jnicole45

Jul 28, 2019
Vancouver, BC
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
16-05-2019
AOR Received.
24-07-2019
In your case, if you were actively engaged in your studies the entire period I would declare it that way. But if there were periods where you were enrolled in your university but not actively working towards your degrees, I would consider breaking up that block of time.

For your work/other activities, I would make sure you get as much of your employment history as you can manage, but for periods of unemployment, since you have been actively studying in that time I wouldnt worry about filling in those gaps too much. As long as you have no gaps where you weren't employed or studying I think you'll be alright. Worst case, they could request more information from you. I don't think you'll need to provide a separate explanation about your employment if you explain in your cover letter. The activity/occupation section is spread onto two pages, right? If so, use the page which has more room on it to replicate and add more to your history. You could also try searching the forum to see if anyone has had success in using a word document instead of extra copies of pages of the form to continue their history.

Hope that helps :)