+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Q 11 - home address or company address?

guddylover

Dec 31, 2016
The guide says "Tell us what you have been doing during the eligibility period."
Hence, if you entered a date you'll be fine as long as it aligns with the end date of the eligibility period outlined in the physical presence calculator. Alternatively present should work too. I think you're covered both ways
Question 11 seem to not make sense at all. They make it sound like you have to be employed to be eligible for citizenship. I have already sent in my application and I filled it according to what they asked which is “tell us about what you have been doing during the eligibility period” I filled it accordingly which is some times I was only going to school and some times I was working and schooling, and then some time I was only working. Then I went back to the instruction guide and they said explain the reason: if you were unemployed because u were studying. The old form was not like that. All they cared about was you not being idle the whole time, but it seems like citizenship has turn to skilled worker program where u had to have worked before you could be eligible for permanent residence. That’s my take

Niloos

Oct 12, 2017
The guide says "Tell us what you have been doing during the eligibility period."
Hence, if you entered a date you'll be fine as long as it aligns with the end date of the eligibility period outlined in the physical presence calculator. Alternatively present should work too. I think you're covered both ways
Thank you. The problem which confused me is in q.10.a, the word Present was used as a default for the current address. But for question 11, If I enter "2017-10", there is no place to enter the date?
So, I am worried if they think there is a gap in my job!
is it ok to type: "2017-10" and after printing write the word "PRESENT" bellow the date by Pen?

Last edited:

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Thank you. The problem which confused me is in q.10.a, the word Present was used as a default for the current address. But for question 11, If I enter "2017-10", there is no place to enter the date?
So, I am worried if they think there is a gap in my job!
is it ok to type: "2017-10" and after printing write the word "PRESENT" bellow the date by Pen?
nope, don't write anything with a Pen in that form except your signature - but if it worries you give yourself a piece of mind and write "Present" instead of the date

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
nope, don't write anything with a Pen in that form except your signature
Actually the general instructions at the beginning of the form conditionally refer to completing it "by hand" (obviously meaning with a pen, rather than, one might guess, crayon or paintbrush).

And the instruction to continue answering a question on a separate piece of paper, if more space is needed, is stated in a way as if it only applies to those completing the form by hand. (Which makes sense for most of the boxes, those which will allow information to be typed in without preset formatting, which will expand to allow the user to keep typing in more information. But not all the form's boxes will expand.)

Handwriting some entries, after printing the form, should work fine so long as they are legible.

Question 11 seem to not make sense at all. They make it sound like you have to be employed to be eligible for citizenship. I have already sent in my application and I filled it according to what they asked which is “tell us about what you have been doing during the eligibility period” I filled it accordingly which is some times I was only going to school and some times I was working and schooling, and then some time I was only working. Then I went back to the instruction guide and they said explain the reason: if you were unemployed because u were studying. The old form was not like that. All they cared about was you not being idle the whole time, but it seems like citizenship has turn to skilled worker program where u had to have worked before you could be eligible for permanent residence. That’s my take
Documented activity in Canada is one of the most reliable indicators corroborating actual presence in Canada. There is an incidental bias in favour of those employed at a regular job, because that readily shows that individual was likely physically present. However, this is not a bias deliberately in favour of those who work versus those who do not, and thus for example a homemaker (male or even female) who was not employed at all during the eligibility period should be processed as quickly and easily, and given the grant of citizenship, as a person employed full time the whole time, BUT of course this depends on the totality of circumstances corroborating the applicant's claims about physical presence.

But you are correct to notice that this form is clearly increasing the upfront focus on information of this kind. As I observed above, for anyone who has been following residency and presence issues for long, it is easy to see that IRCC is seeking ways to obtain a wide range of information it can use to verify the applicant's work history, so that in turn it can more readily verify the applicant's time in Canada.

As I also observed, not only is Q 11 a mess, being vague and in part ambiguous, it is also overreaching to some extent. Contact information for former employers is not information people typically keep up to date years after leaving that employment, and especially if it was not a long-term career-centered job.

In the meantime, a reasonable effort to provide the key elements of information in response to item 11 should suffice, making sure all time periods are covered (no gaps). This is one of the items which obviously needs fixing. I agree with observations that the "location" column is probably (emphasis on probably, which is well shy of being sure) about the location where one was physically working. But as others have noted, a specific address for this is not applicable to all kinds of employment. An applicant needs to give his best answer and if that seems to fall short, explain further on a supplement page (keep it brief).

Note: Among the key risk indicators IRCC is undoubtedly looking for is any sign an applicant has undisclosed employment outside Canada. Here again this is about what corroborates physical presence versus what potentially indicates time outside Canada. Thus, unexplained periods of unemployment, particularly in conjunction with someone who appears to have substantial income despite being unemployed, tends to draw some attention and closer scrutiny. The variations are many. But they are largely about circumstances which might indicate the applicant has been abroad more than disclosed.

vbadry

Jan 13, 2019
Can you guys indicate what you wrote on this Q11 ?
My wife works for her US employer but completely from home all the time . Should i put her physical address as the home address ?

muz 1995

Mar 25, 2024
We got an ITA and have the following questions:

1. Back in my home country my office was located in a different city(city A) and I was working from home(city b)
What city do i write in my work history and personal history?
Also for some period i was working from office so do I make 2 entries?

2. In Canada now I am still working from home. My office is in Etobicoke but i was first working from barrie for a month and then from Toronto since past 9 months.
Again, how do i write this in my work and personal history.

3. I did a one year post graduate certificate from Canada. The college was located in Barrie. This was post covid so in person Attendance wasn’t mandatory. I also attended the first two weeks from my home Country.
Again do i add slots in the personal history section? I.e first two weeks from Pakistan, next 4 months from barrie and the last 4 from Toronto

4. Last question! I was working full time on my study permit( it was the time where students could work full time) while adding it in express entry, they ask if you had a valid work permit during this time? Do i select yes or no.
i had a valid study permit and was allowed to work full time.

Thank you to anyone or everyone who took the time to reply!