+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Purpose Of Travel_Personal history issue

Zak386

Dec 21, 2019

Dear all,

I feel I've just asked a lot regarding this matter on this forum.. Well, I'm still confused how to tackle that extended stay in a foreign country (more that allowed visa duration which is 90 days..). In fact, I stayed for 9 months and could do that by leaving each time to a nearby country just 1 or 2 days prior to my visa expiration.

Now, what should I mention in that "Purpose of Travel" area?? both for my main stay (job seeking/interviews purpose) and for my short visa renewal transits (few days).. On those, that is obvious I traveled just to get issued a new visa..! Is it fine to just state that clearly at last? Would it be helpful perhaps to attach an explanation letter for all of that?

Please advise, many thanks!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Not sure why you're confused? From what you're saying, you stayed legally - you didn't stay longer than the 90-days on a single visit, right?

As long as that country allowed you to get a new visa each time, there's nothing wrong with what you did. It wasn't a long stay, it was a series of short, legal, stays.

Just tell the truth about what you were doing and you will be fine. Yes, you can attach a letter if you wish.

Reactions: Zak386

Zak386

Dec 21, 2019
Not sure why you're confused? From what you're saying, you stayed legally - you didn't stay longer than the 90-days on a single visit, right?

As long as that country allowed you to get a new visa each time, there's nothing wrong with what you did. It wasn't a long stay, it was a series of short, legal, stays.

Just tell the truth about what you were doing and you will be fine. Yes, you can attach a letter if you wish.
Exact. You got it. The reason I'm confused is that those types of stays (long one with this type of visa renewal) are often associated with working illegally in the concerned country. Immigration there itself suspected me of working illegally, what was not the case. So, I'm actually not sure whether to write anything on that, like a detailed explanation letter or leave everything speak about itself.. not sure which option is better...

Many thanks

genruab

Star Member
Sep 25, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
Exact. You got it. The reason I'm confused is that those types of stays (long one with this type of visa renewal) are often associated with working illegally in the concerned country. Immigration there itself suspected me of working illegally, what was not the case. So, I'm actually not sure whether to write anything on that, like a detailed explanation letter or leave everything speak about itself.. not sure which option is better...

Many thanks
Why would officer assume you were working illegally there? Are you claiming work experience for it? If not, then there should be no problem. No one can stop you from moving from one country to another and stay there legally. Don’t forget to provide the PCC though.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017

Many thanks
Not sure if you know this - when you apply for a PR, working illegally (or living without status) in another country doesn't disqualify you. I know you didn't work illegally, but even if you had, that wouldn't by itself be a reason to deny your PR as long as you meet the other criteria.

What IRCC wants is for you to declare everything honestly. If you lie/attempt to hide stuff, that's when you run into issues. So in your case, you should attach a letter that says "I was looking for a job in country X, and I always made sure I had a valid visa, which is why you see the multiple entry and exits".

That's all you need to do. Just make sure you don't forget to declare something, and yes, you will need a PCC from that country as well.

Zak386

Dec 21, 2019
Not sure if you know this - when you apply for a PR, working illegally (or living without status) in another country doesn't disqualify you. I know you didn't work illegally, but even if you had, that wouldn't by itself be a reason to deny your PR as long as you meet the other criteria.

What IRCC wants is for you to declare everything honestly. If you lie/attempt to hide stuff, that's when you run into issues. So in your case, you should attach a letter that says "I was looking for a job in country X, and I always made sure I had a valid visa, which is why you see the multiple entry and exits".

That's all you need to do. Just make sure you don't forget to declare something, and yes, you will need a PCC from that country as well.
21 Goose you nailed it! Many thanks for your precious, thorough directives. Regarding the PCC, I wouldn't be able to get it unfortunately. Canada.ca states that police certificates are only available to people who have lived in that country for one year or more... which is not my case. Would it work to just specify that on the letter as well?

Many thanks!

Zak386

Dec 21, 2019
Why would officer assume you were working illegally there? Are you claiming work experience for it? If not, then there should be no problem. No one can stop you from moving from one country to another and stay there legally. Don’t forget to provide the PCC though.
Thanks Genruab, no, not claiming work experience for it. PCC is not possible unfortunately as I mentioned in my previous reply. Is that a concern maybe..?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
21 Goose you nailed it! Many thanks for your precious, thorough directives. Regarding the PCC, I wouldn't be able to get it unfortunately. Canada.ca states that police certificates are only available to people who have lived in that country for one year or more... which is not my case. Would it work to just specify that on the letter as well?

Many thanks!
Yes, if IRCC has already acknowledged that it's not possible to get a PCC, you should mention that as well.