+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Purchasing of forward / return tickets

Discussion in 'Temporary Residence in Canada (Work, Study, Visit)' started by TCole, Aug 12, 2017.

  1. Dear all,

    We have purchased our tickets to Canada, and will be there for six months on holiday. We are even considering to apply for the additional six months when we get closer to the end of our first six months. We have more than enough funds to support our long vacation, and can prove it.

    I have not purchased our forward tickets yet, as we are not sure when we will be flying out. Should we, for instance, purchase forward tickets now, it might be a total waste should we stay longer in Canada.

    Do they always require proof of forward tickets if you have multiple entry visas?

    Thanks in advance
  2. You will need to purchase return tickets before you come to Canada for two reasons. First, the airline may refused you boarding with just a one way ticket since you are not entitled to live in Canada (only visit). Secondly, if you arrive in Canada without a return ticket, this could create complications at the border since it may make CBSA concerned you have plans to live in Canada (which you cannot do as visitors).

    Keep in mind that if and how long you are allowed into Canada is entirely up to the CBSA officer. You may get six months - or you may not. Similarly, while you can certainly apply for an extension - whether the extension is approved is up to CIC (may be approved or may not be).

    Short answer is that you need to purchase a return ticket before you fly to Canada. If you want the option to change your return flight date - pay extra to get a ticket that can be refunded or changed.
  3. Thank you for the answer, scylla, I appreciate it. I will then rather purchase forward tickets than having trouble boarding the plane or entering Canada.

    Kind regards

Share This Page