+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PUNJAB WINTER JACKETS , ARE THEY GOOD FOR CANADA?

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
HI

MY NAME IS ANUJ JUNEJA . I AM FROM INDIA

I WILL COME TO NORTH VANCOUVER FOR STUDIES THIS FALL

I WANT TO KNOW WHETHER I SHOULD BUY WINTER JACKETS AND THERMALS FROM CANADA OR SHOULD I BUY THEM FROM INDIA.

I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT INDIAN JACKETS( FROM DELHI AND PUNJAB) DO NOT WORK IN VANCOUVER WINTER.

WHAT IS THE AVERAGE PRICE OF NON BRANDED GOOD WINTER JACKETS AND THERMALS IN CANADA?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Wait and buy a coat in Canada.

I would go with a Northface or similar brand. If you want a really warm coat, I would expect to pay $300+.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Its better if you buy from Canada, Jackets from Punjab are only good for Punjabi weather not Canadian. Besides if you are the el-stylo brand name type and like to look impressionable and are into fashion buy them from Canada otherwise you'll really stick out like a sore thumb in the population and look like a FOB

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Northface is an american brand. Probably cheaper in USA than Canada. If you want to buy Canadian, shop Lululemon.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Speaking from experience, Lululemon winter jackets aren't that warm. They look very pretty :) - but they don't stand up to cold like Northface and Marmot.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
what about thermals......i will dfntly buy them from india...

i will wear jackets over thermals

what quality or price or brand should i buy for canadian weather

from where should i buy in delhi, punjab or mumbai?

it would be very helpful if you could tell me at what price should i buy in india coz many retailers dnt hv knowledge abt quality

so price would be an indicator

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For quality and brand, you can read this link as reference:

http://www.canada-goose.com/faq/

I'm not sure where in North Vancouver you would be going but Vancouver in general, Lululemon is warm enough for me.

Korea2Canada

Mar 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-05- 2013
Doc's Request.
18-11- 2013
AOR Received.
29-05-2013
File Transfer...
30-05-2013
Med's Request
sent with app.
Med's Done....
03-04-2013
VISA ISSUED...
waiting
LANDED..........
waiting
Just go to Walmart and buy winter clothes there. It's not expensive and you can get everything your family needs. It's basic stuff but good enough.

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
hi

was thinking whether i should carry bath soaps, shave gels , shampoos and other toileteries for 6 months.

an axe deo cost 150 in india ? how much does it cost over there

should i ?

how much do these things cost in clearance or any other daily offers like redflag that apply on these things.

i want to keep my luggage as less as possible

is the cost of a pressure cooker, frying pan same as in india?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi

was thinking whether i should carry bath soaps, shave gels , shampoos and other toileteries for 6 months.

an axe deo cost 150 in india ? how much does it cost over there

should i ?

how much do these things cost in clearance or any other daily offers like redflag that apply on these things.

i want to keep my luggage as less as possible

is the cost of a pressure cooker, frying pan same as in india?
The axe deo currently cost $4.96 in Walmart:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/axe-phoenix-deodorant-stick/10152739

You can check the other small appliances in this website too.

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
Ok. Don't panic. North Vancouver is lovely. We do get a few winters that can be pretty chilly, but a few extra layers under your jacket will usually do the trick. Costco often sell Merino wool tops and bottoms cheaper than Mountain Equipment Coop. It is soft against your skin and great for warmth. What you WILL need is a good rain jacket of Goretex that breathes so you won't sweat in it. Some winters that is all I need with a long sleeved top and fleece jacket under it. Wise to get it large enough that you can comfortably wear the layers under it. If you plan to ski then a ski jacket will probably be best. Mt. Seymour is located 25 min drive from CapU and a good place to learn if you are new to the sport (warning skiing can get expensive). There is a Superstore at the bottom of the hill from Cap and they carry all sorts of household goods,clothes and food. The cost of additional luggage I would not bring frying pans and cookers. Have you tried using a microwave? You can go to the Salvation Army Thrift Store on Lonsdale and get the kitchen things you need at a fraction of cost. September would not be off season for buying winter clothes. That would be March-April in spring. Good luck

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
hey thanks

how is north vancouver in terms of departmental stores and all?

are there few for every area......

does it has somethibng as cheap as walmart....i wnt be able to travel to walmart to buy grocery nd all

Pippin

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2010
There are a few malls on the North Shore. If you have accom near Cap, Superstore is closest to you. There is a small strip mall with Canadian Tire and a dollar store and across the street from that on Main Street between Brooksbank and Mountain Highway, is another large dollar store and Marks Work Wear for reasonable, sturdy clothes. Save on Foods is on Brooksbank in another little mall with a few clothing stores and coffee shops. Then you get to Lonsdale, now 5-7 km from Cap and there are lots of stores including London Drugs which is a good place for buying electronics, prescriptions and kitchen/bathroom stuff. Keep going west and you reach Capilano Mall about 10km from Cap and it has Sears and Walmart and lots of other specialty stores. This would be the largest and most economical Mall. Farther west a few km is Park Royal, but not much price conscious shopping can be done here although you will find various sports stores that have sales throughout the year. Google the different malls and you will see what stores they offer.