4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
This is a poll -- terribly scientific.

Did you read this? Yes/No

Did you not read this?? Yes/No

I will report on results, within accepted scientific tolerances, with an error factor of no more than plus or minus 5%, 85% of the time.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
toby said:
This is a poll -- terribly scientific.

Did you read this? Yes/No

Did you not read this?? Yes/No

I will report on results, within accepted scientific tolerances, with an error factor of no more than plus or minus 5%, 85% of the time.
Which are you polling? This thread or another thread with a similar "topic name"?

MrsCasanova

Jul 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-09-2009
Doc's Request.
01-17-2010
Med's Request
10 - 07- 2009
Med's Done....
0 - 07 - 2009
Interview........
NONE
Passport Req..
01-17-2010
VISA ISSUED...
17-05-2011
LANDED..........
18-06-2011
this is dumb it has nothing to do with immigration

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
It is a joke -- or at least attempted one. Many members have been reading a thread about whether or not people read posts where the subject line is vague, where it doesn't tell you what the post is about. The poster wrote a deliberately-vague subject line, and many members read the post anyway, so the poster concluded that vague subject lines don't reduce readership.

I replied that one cannot be sure unless one polls all the members -- to see how many readers do and how many don't read posts with vague subject lines.

To make my point, I wrote a silly (non-descriptive) subject line, and pretended to conduct the poll. I tried to make the humorous intent clear by asking who did NOT read the post. Clearly a reader who did not open the post is not in a position to answer that he/she did not read the poll.

Anyway, you are right that this has nothing to do with immigration. In my defense, many posts are not relevant to immigration, unless you count primal screams with subject lines that say "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!". But you opened my post, and wasted some time. Sorry.

You probably would not have opened my post had I used a precise subject line, such as "Conducting a poll; not related to immigration matters". Which makes my point (expressed in earlier posts): let's all use precise subject lines and stop wasting the time of readers who are not interested in the subject matter of the post.

EaSt CoAsT GiRl

Star Member
Jan 30, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Santo Domingo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2010
AOR Received.
30-07-2010
File Transfer...
01-06-2010
toby said:
It is a joke -- or at least attempted one. Many members have been reading a thread about whether or not people read posts where the subject line is vague, where it doesn't tell you what the post is about. The poster wrote a deliberately-vague subject line, and many members read the post anyway, so the poster concluded that vague subject lines don't reduce readership.

I replied that one cannot be sure unless one polls all the members -- to see how many readers do and how many don't read posts with vague subject lines.

To make my point, I wrote a silly (non-descriptive) subject line, and pretended to conduct the poll. I tried to make the humorous intent clear by asking who did NOT read the post. Clearly a reader who did not open the post is not in a position to answer that he/she did not read the poll.

Anyway, you are right that this has nothing to do with immigration. In my defense, many posts are not relevant to immigration, unless you count primal screams with subject lines that say "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!". But you opened my post, and wasted some time. Sorry.

You probably would not have opened my post had I used a precise subject line, such as "Conducting a poll; not related to immigration matters". Which makes my point (expressed in earlier posts): let's all use precise subject lines and stop wasting the time of readers who are not interested in the subject matter of the post.
LMAO....this is great Toby :)

I

iarblue

Its pure choice if you read or post in a thread.If you open a thread that has no topic,then it was your choice right.And what you opened a thread and wasted 2 3 4 minutes of your time.Most people are on here to past time answer a couple threads get a bit of info,help.But its all choice.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
lol...i thought it was funny, and knew exactly what you were doing as soon as i saw the title and that it was you who started the thread. i especially love your second question...did you not read this? yes/no

for the record, and purely to help advance your scientific research...yes, i read the thread.

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
oh, and i thought i would throw in my two cents on the topic. if someone chooses to post a thread with a title such as this, it is not the problem of the other people on this forum. either click on it, or not. your choice. it is, however, the problem of the person who started the thread, as they will likely receive less responses than they would if they had a descriptive title.

ps. please forgive my lack of caps. my shift key is broken and my right pinky can't get the hang of the other shift key.

HoneyBird

Jul 26, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jun 2010
Doc's Request.
Jun 2010
AOR Received.
Sep 2010
File Transfer...
Aug 2010
Med's Done....
Jun 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Jan 2011
LANDED..........
Feb 2011
i opened this post cause it u toby..u write sensibly..so i was interested in seeing what you had to post.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Thanks, Honeybird. I appreciate it your support, but others don't feel the same way!! Since I started this thread, about 7 people have given me negative votes.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Thanks, Honeybird. I appreciate it your support, but others don't feel the same way!! Since I started this thread, about 7 people have given me negative votes.
I just gave you a positive one. People need to lighten up! Now I wonder how many negative ones I will get for that comment??? Clicking takes a few seconds. I can give you a few seconds of my time toby and not get rankled! LOL

kerianne

Jul 24, 2010
CANADA :)
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 27, 2010
Doc's Request.
November 18, 2010
AOR Received.
August 6, 2010
File Transfer...
June 1, 2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
March 21, 2011
VISA ISSUED...
March 30, 2011
LANDED..........
April 29, 2011
This is hilarious. I DID read it. :)

But buddy who posted before me is right. Most of on here are here to pass time waiting for immigration (which is as slow as molasses right now) or to get information. Don't complain when you clicked it in the first place, you were obviously curious enough to read it, and if it wasted your time, why did you keep reading it? LOL.

I gave you positive karma too! Good luck to all you waiting for CIC as well! Cheers

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
Lol, this thread is hilarious. I gotta say Toby - you surprised me here! I probably took you as more serious and stern from your past posts. awesome.

I really do think some people take things waaaaaaaaay too seriously. But maybe that's just a way to vent frustration at a system that is so frustrating and has no outlets. I'm going to give most people the benefit of the doubt. And I'm going to give Toby a plus rating just for making me laugh!

Lynn

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
My wife says the same thing: I create an image of being terribly serious, when in fact I like to joke quite a bit.

On the phone, I am concise and to the point -- but some can take this as being unfriendly -- so says my wife, who laughs a lot in her phone conversations, and consequently gets WAY more calls than I do.

Thanks to you all for the positive karma. Now I can sleep at night.