+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Public School Enrollment While Waiting?

Michelle2020

Sep 21, 2020
Essentially the title is my question. If we're in Canada awaiting a PR via inland spousal sponsorship, is my child able to enroll in public school (high school) while she's in Canada with me? I'm not sure what sort of thing is needed to enrollment in public schools there. Would she need an SIN to enroll? This page says she can if I'm permitted to work in Canada. Would that mean if I'm still waiting for my OWP to be approved she'd be unable to enroll? How would they check that? Thanks.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Haven't gotten there yet but when we do, we'll be on visitor visas (Americans), with a family sponsorship visa processing.
So you will be there as visitors not PRs. Your child most likely will need to have a study permit as a high school student and pay international fees. Contact the school board for information.

Michelle2020

Sep 21, 2020
So you will be there as visitors not PRs. Your child most likely will need to have a study permit as a high school student and pay international fees. Contact the school board for information.
I was thinking that but the website I linked said since she's under 18 it would be ok if I was able to legally work there. That's why I'm wondering if I can't until the OWP goes through. I guess it's just cause here in America, everyone's allowed to go to public school, no matter their immigration status, so I'm having a hard time figuring out the process. I think I'll just call the local school district at this point lol

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was thinking that but the website I linked said since she's under 18 it would be ok if I was able to legally work there. That's why I'm wondering if I can't until the OWP goes through. I guess it's just cause here in America, everyone's allowed to go to public school, no matter their immigration status, so I'm having a hard time figuring out the process. I think I'll just call the local school district at this point lol
Call the school board. If you have a OWP, she can enrol. If you have no immigration status, it can be different as school boards may or may not allow it, and may ask you to pay international fees.