+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PSWP expired due to school, what can i do? Please help!!

TrinhN92

Nov 18, 2018
Hi there, i graduated with a bichelor degree in science in 2014 and got a 3 years PGWP. I worked part time for about a year before get acceptted to be a research assistant for 8 month then went back to school for my Master degree. At that time my PSWP still have over a year left before expiration date. But by the time i finished my Master and the final date will be Jan 2019, the PSWP has expired. Can i do anything to get another work permit so i can find a job? Since after the final date, i only have 90 days before I have to leave Canada and finding a job without a work permit in less than 3 months is next to impossible. Has anyone been through situation like me?
Please help!!!!!
Thank you so much.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A PGWP is a one time opportunity and once it expires there no second chance to get another one or extend the first one.To get another permit you would need to get an approved LMIA but of course you need a job for that.

Believe that until you get your completion letter you can at least work part time assuming your study permit is still valid. See here

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html#off-campus

You could I guess apply to extend your stay as a visitor

Reactions: scylla
Nov 28, 2018
Hey why dont you try and renew the post graduate work permit.I know they write its one in a life time of thing. For me i did my bachelors, they gave me three years, Then later i did a post graduate certificate. Everyone kept telling me that its once in a lifetime, they wont give me another. To my surprise they gave me an extra year. I know someone else who was also given an extra year. I just provided the documents they needed and the letter from school showing that i completed my study. I am not saying they are 100% gonna accept but its worth trying you never know. On another note you just completed your masters, congratulations. Why dont you look into applying Masters Graduate Stream
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program, so you can apply for you permanent residency

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html

TrinhN92

Nov 18, 2018
Hey why dont you try and renew the post graduate work permit.I know they write its one in a life time of thing. For me i did my bachelors, they gave me three years, Then later i did a post graduate certificate. Everyone kept telling me that its once in a lifetime, they wont give me another. To my surprise they gave me an extra year. I know someone else who was also given an extra year. I just provided the documents they needed and the letter from school showing that i completed my study. I am not saying they are 100% gonna accept but its worth trying you never know. On another note you just completed your masters, congratulations. Why dont you look into applying Masters Graduate Stream
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program, so you can apply for you permanent residency

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS.html
Thank you so much, may i ask how did you apply for the extension? I tried to go to cic and look for the option but there is none.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you so much, may i ask how did you apply for the extension? I tried to go to cic and look for the option but there is none.
As explained, PGWP cannot be extended. That's why you can't find anything online. PGWP are granted once only and no extension is possible.

I realize the individual above was able to get an extension. The only reason this would have been possible is due to a visa officer error - which are extremely rare. I've never heard of a situation like this before. Again, you won't be able to extend or apply for a second PGWP. The rules don't allow it.

Nov 28, 2018
Your welcome, and you apply for it the same way you applied for the first one. but this time u can include your masters transcript and graduation conformation letter.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html
My sister also got an extra year, she didn't go to school again for her she included a letter from work and a letter of explanation asking for a year to get more work experience.
i should add for me when my postgraduate work permit expired i tried to renew again with my previous school transcripts they rejected. Then i went back to school graduated January 2018. and i tried again now with a new letter from my new school and it worked.
and im not saying its going to work for you, its a big gamble. For me i tried because i was in a similar situation and i really didn't have much to lose expect the money. Plus i only had the small window after graduation to apply.
But if you gonna try it best of luck and i suggest you use Ur new transcripts. And if it doesn't work u can always apply for the visitors visa.

I recommend also applying for the Masters Graduate Stream.
http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_MASTERS_WHO.html