+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRV for wife's parents, anything I should know?

Bynming

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
So at some point this year, my wife will coming to live here in Quebec on a permanent resident visa. Her parents, who are Russian, would like to eventually visit, probably a year or so later, they'd like to come visit me and get to know my family, as so far they've only been able to see each other through Skype.

Considering that prior to our marriage, my wife failed to get a TRV because they thought she might intend to overstay her visa (despite the fact that she showed proof of ownership of property in Russia, as well as her return ticket), I'm a bit worried that they might get rejected. I was wondering what would be the best way to get TRVs for her parents and her little brother for a 5-10 days visit to Canada?

Her dad owns a pretty big business and multiple properties in Russia, as well as their whole family, so there's no risk of them bailing. What can I suggest to maximize their chance of getting a visa?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So at some point this year, my wife will coming to live here in Quebec on a permanent resident visa. Her parents, who are Russian, would like to eventually visit, probably a year or so later, they'd like to come visit me and get to know my family, as so far they've only been able to see each other through Skype.

Considering that prior to our marriage, my wife failed to get a TRV because they thought she might intend to overstay her visa (despite the fact that she showed proof of ownership of property in Russia, as well as her return ticket), I'm a bit worried that they might get rejected. I was wondering what would be the best way to get TRVs for her parents and her little brother for a 5-10 days visit to Canada?

Her dad owns a pretty big business and multiple properties in Russia, as well as their whole family, so there's no risk of them bailing. What can I suggest to maximize their chance of getting a visa?
They have to qualify on their own so proof of their strong ties to Russia and that they will fund their trip using their personal savings (not business account) will be important. Things like business and home ownership are some of the strong ties. The travels should be during a school break for the son so there are no concerns that he is not planning on continuing his studies. Have they travelled outside Russia before? Preferably to Europe or the US? It would also be best if they don’t apply right after she gets PR because that would raise concerns that they are planning on moving with her.

Bynming

Star Member
Sep 8, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
They have to qualify on their own so proof of their strong ties to Russia and that they will fund their trip using their personal savings (not business account) will be important. Things like business and home ownership are some of the strong ties. The travels should be during a school break for the son so there are no concerns that he is not planning on continuing his studies. Have they travelled outside Russia before? Preferably to Europe or the US? It would also be best if they don’t apply right after she gets PR because that would raise concerns that they are planning on moving with her.
Good point about the school break, it'll have to be during one of those anyway. Unfortunately to my knowledge, I believe they've never really traveled to the west. Ukraine, Kazakhstan and some Asian countries like Thailand and Vietnam.

As for timing, yeah, it'll probably be a little while after she gets here, time for her to get established.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good point about the school break, it'll have to be during one of those anyway. Unfortunately to my knowledge, I believe they've never really traveled to the west. Ukraine, Kazakhstan and some Asian countries like Thailand and Vietnam.

As for timing, yeah, it'll probably be a little while after she gets here, time for her to get established.
There chances are much better without their son. They may want to consider applying on their own and if they get approved applying for their son.