+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD

KHALIQUE

Sep 19, 2011
Hai,
I landed in Dec 2012 as PR and completed my residence obligations successfully in 2018 and filed renewal of PR in Jan2018 which was again issued but I couldn't collect as I travelled back home in emergenc due to sickness of very close family member who was old and couldn't move without physical support.
Meanwhile,covid_19 outbreak and I was stuck in back home as well as caring the family member due to health conditions/old age who expired/died recently.
I couldn't travel to canada even a single day in last 5 years and couldn't pick my renewed PR card.
I sent an email to CIC who replied that your Pr card was sent back for destruction as per policy.However,it doesn't mean that you have lost your PR status.You need to aoply for new PR card
As I am outside Canada,so I filed the PRTD application on H&C grounds by stating the reason of non travelling to Canada as staying with very close family member who is now expired.
Please guide me whether I filed the right application or not.

THANKS.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hai,
I landed in Dec 2012 as PR and completed my residence obligations successfully in 2018 and filed renewal of PR in Jan2018 which was again issued but I couldn't collect as I travelled back home in emergenc due to sickness of very close family member who was old and couldn't move without physical support.
Meanwhile,covid_19 outbreak and I was stuck in back home as well as caring the family member due to health conditions/old age who expired/died recently.
I couldn't travel to canada even a single day in last 5 years and couldn't pick my renewed PR card.
I sent an email to CIC who replied that your Pr card was sent back for destruction as per policy.However,it doesn't mean that you have lost your PR status.You need to aoply for new PR card
As I am outside Canada,so I filed the PRTD application on H&C grounds by stating the reason of non travelling to Canada as staying with very close family member who is now expired.
Please guide me whether I filed the right application or not.

THANKS.
You only had two options. The first was to apply for the PRTD under H&C. The second was to fly to the US (requires a US visa), re-enter Canada through a land border, and then hope you were not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement.

You picked the first option. So yes, this was one of two things you could have done. Good luck with your application.

KHALIQUE

Sep 19, 2011
You only had two options. The first was to apply for the PRTD under H&C. The second was to fly to the US (requires a US visa), re-enter Canada through a land border, and then hope you were not reported for failing to meet the residency requirement.

You picked the first option. So yes, this was one of two things you could have done. Good luck with your application.
I really thankful for your reply. I have valid 10 years US visa but I have to ask that in the US visa sticker it is mentioned that permanent resident Canada. Can this caise problem to fly US by a direct flight from back home as well as US and Canada border will ask questions at the time of entry in Canada.
I am really thankful to you.

Khalique

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I really thankful for your reply. I have valid 10 years US visa but I have to ask that in the US visa sticker it is mentioned that permanent resident Canada. Can this caise problem to fly US by a direct flight from back home as well as US and Canada border will ask questions at the time of entry in Canada.

Khalique
There is a good chance that you could be reported at the border as well especially since you have been out of Canada for 5 years. Even if you are not reported without a PR card you will have difficult getting health card and public healthcare and wouldn’t be able to leave for 2+ years. You already applied for PRTD based on H&C so application has started being processed. If approved you can apply for a PR card on arrival although you
still need to become compliant with your RO. Both routes are options.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Khalique
You can fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle.

Yes, it's certainly possible you may be asked question. That is something none of us can predict. If CBSA determines that you have failed to meet the residency obligation, they may issue a report against you that will trigger the process to revoke your PR status formally. You will still be allowed into Canada. You will be given the opportunity later on in this process to argue why you should be allowed to retain your PR status even though you've failed to meet RO.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can fly to the US and then re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle.

Yes, it's certainly possible you may be asked question. That is something none of us can predict. If CBSA determines that you have failed to meet the residency obligation, they may issue a report against you that will trigger the process to revoke your PR status formally. You will still be allowed into Canada. You will be given the opportunity later on in this process to argue why you should be allowed to retain your PR status even though you've failed to meet RO.
Don’t think the PRTD application based on H&C will stopped being processed so that could also lead to having to have to appeal whether OP can remain in Canada.