+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Hi my son is 18 and applied for PRTD, he was a resident of Canada stayed few weeks and returned with gather at the Age of 9. As minor stayed outside Canada with family and mater father passed away . Now he got admission in Canadian university . We have applied on H&C grounds for PRTD. He will start university in fall 2021. On PRTD is he allowed to study ? Do we need to pay international student fees till he gets PR. Please give some information
Thanks in advance

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi my son is 18 and applied for PRTD, he was a resident of Canada stayed few weeks and returned with gather at the Age of 9. As minor stayed outside Canada with family and mater father passed away . Now he got admission in Canadian university . We have applied on H&C grounds for PRTD. He will start university in fall 2021. On PRTD is he allowed to study ? Do we need to pay international student fees till he gets PR. Please give some information
Thanks in advance
He can study as a domestic student if the PRTD is approved.

If the PRTD is refused, he will officially lose PR status and will need to apply for a study permit if he wants to come to Canada as an international student to study.

Reactions: Cynthia dcunha

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Thank you for your quick reply . Much appreciated. We live in Abu Dhabi and PRTD application is submitted this week . Do you think it will be approved to join fall 2021 classes ?from your experience . if Rejected can I immediate apply for student visa for him. I do not want to appeal if it rejects . I am left with 4 months . Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your quick reply . Much appreciated. We live in Abu Dhabi and PRTD application is submitted this week . Do you think it will be approved to join fall 2021 classes ?from your experience . if Rejected can I immediate apply for student visa for him. I do not want to appeal if it rejects . I am left with 4 months . Thanks
It's honestly hard to say. Right now everything is taking longer. Even pre-COVID, it wasn't unusual for applications like this to take four months or more. It's quite possible it may take quite a bit longer than four months. Also possible it might be processed within four months. It's really very hard to say since it's being processed under H&C.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
We have applied on H&C grounds for PRTD. He will start university in fall 2021. On PRTD is he allowed to study ? Do we need to pay international student fees till he gets PR.
Only Permanent Residents are entitled to status documents. Status documents include the PR Card (for people in Canada), and the PRTD (for people outside Canada). The right to study and enter visa free is part of the right of a Permanent Resident, and you have those rights regardless of whether or not one has a status document (PR Card).

If he holds PR status, he is not an international student. There is no “till he gets PR”: he has it, or he doesn’t. What he lacks is a status document, which the school may require to let him study without a study permit. He can’t get a study permit, as he is a Permanent Resident, and Permanent Residents are not eligible for them.

When you are examined (which happens when applying for a PRTD or PR card), they may see that he was not in compliance with his residency obligation. If he has been in Canada in the past year, he is entitled to come to Canada to fight his case, and if he wins he maintains his status. If he has not been in Canada during the last year, he can’t come to Canada, but he can still fight to keep his status (for example, by giving H&C reasons). He remains a Permanent Resident, forever, until he loses it. Losing it can happen by giving it up, becoming a citizen, or by losing a hearing on ones residency obligation.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
It’s similar to how Citizenship works. A birth certificate (depending on country) is proof of Citizenship. A passport is proof of Citizenship. You don’t lose your Citizenship when your passport expires, or if your birth certificate is lost or destroyed. You may not have proof of Citizenship until you straighten it out, but the status (Citizenship) is separate from the document, just like the status of Permanent Resident is separate from the document (PR Card or PRTD).

I’m a Permanent Resident. At the moment, I don’t have a PR Card or PRTD (one card was stolen, and one PRTD was stolen, another expired). I’m still a Permanent Resident, and if I make it to the Canadian border, they have to let me in. I’ve done it with only a US driver license.

When I cross the border, they are free to examine me to see if they think I meet my residency obligation. I do, but if they think I don’t they can have a hearing. When I go to the hearing, I can present my evidence (records of travel), and any H&C concerns, and if I win I keep my status. If I lose, I lose my status.

The only one making me have a card is the airlines, and when I tried to use my US passport they wouldn’t let me come due to “non-essential travel”. I can still take my own airplane, or drive, or walk, or take a train. As long as they can verify who I am, they have to let me in. For people who aren’t visa waiver, the eTA is part of the difficulty of getting back, as without a PRTD you can’t get on the plane.

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Only Permanent Residents are entitled to status documents. Status documents include the PR Card (for people in Canada), and the PRTD (for people outside Canada). The right to study and enter visa free is part of the right of a Permanent Resident, and you have those rights regardless of whether or not one has a status document (PR Card).

If he holds PR status, he is not an international student. There is no “till he gets PR”: he has it, or he doesn’t. What he lacks is a status document, which the school may require to let him study without a study permit. He can’t get a study permit, as he is a Permanent Resident, and Permanent Residents are not eligible for them.

When you are examined (which happens when applying for a PRTD or PR card), they may see that he was not in compliance with his residency obligation. If he has been in Canada in the past year, he is entitled to come to Canada to fight his case, and if he wins he maintains his status. If he has not been in Canada during the last year, he can’t come to Canada, but he can still fight to keep his status (for example, by giving H&C reasons). He remains a Permanent Resident, forever, until he loses it. Losing it can happen by giving it up, becoming a citizen, or by losing a hearing on ones residency obligation.

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
Hi thanks for your response . If my son gets PRTD approval , he is allowed to enter the country but my question is he allowed to study on the offer he has from university. As he doesn’t have PR status I am ok to pay international student fees till he gets his status .. please shed some information if you have

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
"If my son gets PRTD approval"

The only way he will get PRTD approval is if he has PR status.

"As he doesn’t have PR status"

Did he have PR status? If yes, did he formally lose it?

The card is not the status. The PRTD is not the status. The card expiring does not change status. The PRTD expiring does not change status.

Only PRs get PR Cards. Only PRs get PRTDs. PR Cards are proof of status. PRTDs are proof of status. Thus, if your kid gets a PRTD, he is (at that point in time) a PR.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
I'm not trying to be a jerk by being repetitive, just trying to be clear. From your reply, it seems the point was not clear.

Your kid can't get a PRTD if he's not a PR, so saying that he got a PRTD but wouldn't have status is silly. There are some situations where they give you a PRTD then take your PR status, but that's for people who have been in Canada in the last year but were still in breach of their obligations.

What school is your kid trying to go to? I may be able to find out if they accept PRTDs as proof of domestic status. International students legally require a study permit, so schools generally require either proof of domestic status, or proof of study permit. You generally can't just go and pay international tuition.

At my school, they officially accepted either a Certificate of Permanent Residency, or a PR Card.

Practically, they would have accepted a PRTD, because the system didn't really have a way to have you neither domestic nor international.

As a bit of practical advice, replacing a CoPR isn't really a thing. What you can do instead is a Verification of Status document.

Application for a Verification of Status (VOS) or Replacement of an Immigration Document - Canada.ca

*If* the PRTD is granted, I'd suggest applying for a VoS quickly, but not applying before the PRTD is granted.

It looks something like this:

verification-status-sample.png (1651×2141) (recordoflanding.ca)

That document serves to show that a person had PR status on a specific date. It's more common than the PRTD, so more places accept it.

Cynthia dcunha

May 3, 2021
He is joining Carleton university ottawa . I have submitted the university offer along with our application form to an agent to process for PRTD . His PR expired in 2015.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
It looks like this is the official policy for the school:

• Permanent Residents of Canada must upload a PDF copy of their supporting evidence in the Personal Information section of the online application. This may be a Permanent Residence Card (front and back) or Record of Landing form (IMM 1000).
The IMM 1000 is the old CoPR, which your son should have gotten at some point. The school should accept a VoS if nothing else, but may take a PRTD.