+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD

Hlubi214

May 4, 2019
Hi guys. I am a PR, I lost my PR card in 2016 and applied I got it. I lost it again last August and tried applying for it again in February and I was told it’s forwarded to local office for further investigation. I usually leave the country for 3 weeks for the past 3 years. So I’m currently at 1640 days present in in Canada.

I have to take a vacation in the next two weeks. When I called IRCC they told me I can still go, but when I come back I must apply for a PRTD. Is it possible to get the Travel Document when your PR is under investigations?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
It is possible, but there's a very strong possibility that you won't get the PRTD in three weeks..

You cannot apply for a PRTD from inside Canada.

I would recommend you change your vacation plans or else take the chance of being stuck outside while they process your PRTD.

Reactions: Hlubi214

Hlubi214

May 4, 2019
Thank you for this reply. By being stuck, how long can it take is it something like 8 weeks or maybe 10?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you for this reply. By being stuck, how long can it take is it something like 8 weeks or maybe 10?
No idea. Since you're already being investigated it's probably going to take a while. I don't think anyone can give you a concrete answer on how long it will take. It may take 3 weeks, it may take three months. You need to factor that into your plans.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Really dependent on the country when it comes to processing times it seems. Given that you keep losing your PR card they likely suspect you are in some sort of ID document fraud.

Hlubi214

May 4, 2019
Really dependent on the country when it comes to processing times it seems. Given that you keep losing your PR card they likely suspect you are in some sort of ID document fraud.
Thank you. I think they will find out soon enough that I’m not because RCMP found my previous PR card and they shredded it since it was already a year later. Thank you for all your replies... I did contact the embassy from the country they said it takes 15 days.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you. I think they will find out soon enough that I’m not because RCMP found my previous PR card and they shredded it since it was already a year later. Thank you for all your replies... I did contact the embassy from the country they said it takes 15 days.
Just indicating why processing may take longer. Losing 2 PR cards so quickly raises red flags especially because counterfeit documents are big business and people seek out a Canadian documents. Having found one of the PR cards certainly helps to alleviate any concerns.