+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD without SIN or old passports?

MattVC

Sep 2, 2018
Hi All,

I wanted to start by saying how useful this forum has been for me these last few months as I was going through the PR application process. Thank you!

My wife and I got our COPR a couple of weeks ago and did a short landing in Toronto last weekend. We were only in Canada on the weekend, and therefore unable to apply for a SIN number. A PR card will be mailed to a friend in Canada. However before that I would like to travel back to Canada for job interviews.

I have been reading the requirements for the PRTD and I've come across the following 2 issues:

1) We haven't got a SIN number yet (point 18 on the application form IMM5524)
2) My wife (primary applicant) no longer has her old passport. Her current passport is 3 years old and valid for another 7 years. (point 7 on the document checklist IMM5627)

Do you think this will prevent us from getting a PRTD?

Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No you should be able to get PRTD. Other option is to fly to the US and cross the border using your landing documents. Not sure if you have visa or are visa exempt.

MattVC

Sep 2, 2018
Thanks Canuck. We’d probably be looking at another short visit meaning that we’d prefer to fly straight into YYZ rather than spend more time traveling.

Good to hear regarding PRTD. I guess it requires a clear cover letting explaining the situation.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thanks Canuck. We’d probably be looking at another short visit meaning that we’d prefer to fly straight into YYZ rather than spend more time traveling.

Good to hear regarding PRTD. I guess it requires a clear cover letting explaining the situation.
Basically, any PR that has less than 1095 days since the date that they landed in Canada is pretty much an automatic approval for a PRTD. This is assuming that they are able to confirm their identity.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Just apply for a PRTD as soon as possible given they can sometimes take a while to come through and there is no published processing time . Especially if you are lucky enough to land some job interviews before your PR cards come through.