+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD while waiting for PR CARD

souslaplage

Star Member
May 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Hey guys, on 19/November 2020 I received my COPR (with the online landing). I already sent the photos for the PR card however I need to leave Canada soon (I am planning to return on January). Is there a problem to apply for the PRTD while waiting for the PR CARD ( I mean, they can hold my card until I get the PRTD?)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey guys, on 19/November 2020 I received my COPR (with the online landing). I already sent the photos for the PR card however I need to leave Canada soon (I am planning to return on January). Is there a problem to apply for the PRTD while waiting for the PR CARD ( I mean, they can hold my card until I get the PRTD?)
1. No, why would CIC hold up your PR card because you applied for a PRTD? If you don't have a PR card and you need to return to Canada, you apply for a PRTD.

souslaplage

Star Member
May 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Hi

1. No, why would CIC hold up your PR card because you applied for a PRTD? If you don't have a PR card and you need to return to Canada, you apply for a PRTD.
I don't know hahaah just asking..it is my first PR Card and I'm afraid they realize I will be out of the country. Thank you for your reply!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Suggest you apply for the PRTD the moment you arrive at your destination given there is no published processing time for PRTDs and your return could be delayed.

souslaplage

Star Member
May 26, 2020
Category........
FSW
Suggest you apply for the PRTD the moment you arrive at your destination given there is no published processing time for PRTDs and your return could be delayed.
I'm planning to do that! Thank you very much!

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Can you start the PRTD application process before you leave Canada? Just to expedite the process?
You can, sort-of.

They cannot issue a PR card outside of Canada. They cannot issue a PRTD to someone in Canada. If you apply, but they don’t get around to processing it until you are out of the country, that’s not a problem (and I’ve done it).

Due to COVID and PR card delays, I ended up applying for a PRTD, then driving to Canada instead (this was at the beginning of the shutdowns). I was one of the last PRTDs processed in Los Angeles before they were closed. I got a call from the official there who was asking me questions to prove I was legitimate.

It was clear he was on Google maps, and he asked me a question about the color of my house. I told him what color it was, he asked me if it was more reddish than brown, and my response was “no, I’m standing here looking at it right now. It’s definitely more brown than red.”

His response was that because of COVID, he was going to pretend he didn’t hear me say that, and he issued the PRTD. He informed me that technically, as I was in Canada, he was required to reject the application and tell me to seek a PR Card instead.