Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Passport Req..
19-10-2011
LANDED..........
15-11-2011
Hi,

I have been a permanent resident for almost 10 years with most of that time living abroad with my spouse. I satisfy residency obligations and am still a PR but my PR card expired 5-6 years ago. I applied for and was granted a 2 year multiple use PRTD at some point, but this has also expired. We are now planning a trip to Canada for Christmas and I am again facing the issue of my expired PR card and also expired PRTD. Before I submit another application for a new PRTD I just wanted to make sure I really need this for a holiday in Canada? The thing is, we are not returning to Canada to live at this point (will in some years) so I can not get a new PR card while there and I would really just like to enter as a regular tourist. My impression is that I cannot enter as a tourist due to my PR status and as such required a valid PRTD but does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I have been a permanent resident for almost 10 years with most of that time living abroad with my spouse. I satisfy residency obligations and am still a PR but my PR card expired 5-6 years ago. I applied for and was granted a 2 year multiple use PRTD at some point, but this has also expired. We are now planning a trip to Canada for Christmas and I am again facing the issue of my expired PR card and also expired PRTD. Before I submit another application for a new PRTD I just wanted to make sure I really need this for a holiday in Canada? The thing is, we are not returning to Canada to live at this point (will in some years) so I can not get a new PR card while there and I would really just like to enter as a regular tourist. My impression is that I cannot enter as a tourist due to my PR status and as such required a valid PRTD but does anyone know anything about this? Thanks!
Yes, you need to apply for the PRTD.

It's not about whether you are coming to Canada permanently or not. You need a valid PRTD (or a valid PR card) in order to be allowed to board the plane and fly to Canada.

You do not qualify for an eTA or TRV since you are a PR of Canada. This is why you need the PRTD to travel. You will be entering Canada as a PR of Canada, not as a tourist. The fact your intentions are only to visit is not material. It's about your status in Canada and what documents you need to be allowed to board a plane and travel here.

alasken

Star Member
Feb 5, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-06-2011
Passport Req..
19-10-2011
LANDED..........
15-11-2011
Yes, you need to apply for the PRTD.

It's not about whether you are coming to Canada permanently or not. You need a valid PRTD (or a valid PR card) in order to be allowed to board the plane and fly to Canada.

You do not qualify for an eTA or TRV since you are a PR of Canada. This is why you need the PRTD to travel. You will be entering Canada as a PR of Canada, not as a tourist. The fact your intentions are only to visit is not material. It's about your status in Canada and what documents you need to be allowed to board a plane and travel here.
OK thanks, this is what I thought was the case. It is really too bad as it is very cumbersome and inconvenient for people in my situation. I am not even sure I can get it done in time for the trip as Christmas is less than 2 months away and it is a very painful process to write this application.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
OK thanks, this is what I thought was the case. It is really too bad as it is very cumbersome and inconvenient for people in my situation. I am not even sure I can get it done in time for the trip as Christmas is less than 2 months away and it is a very painful process to write this application.
It's a travel document. You need it to travel.

Your other option is to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle.

Reactions: YVR123