+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Request

sk_reddy

Feb 8, 2021
I am in India and applied for PRTD. I received a passport request for PRTD, but currently, my passport is with the USA embassy for stamping, and I am not sure if I will be able to get it back within the required timeframe of 30 days to submit my passport.
Can someone please advise what can be done in my case?
Any suggestions?

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015
In that case you need to apply for another PRTD or write a letter to them that it will take time since you already applied for a US Visa.

Reactions: sk_reddy

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am in India and applied for PRTD. I received a passport request for PRTD, but currently, my passport is with the USA embassy for stamping, and I am not sure if I will be able to get it back within the required timeframe of 30 days to submit my passport.
Can someone please advise what can be done in my case?
Any suggestions?
Wait a bit to see if the USA returns it quickly and if not, send a letter to high commission about the delay.

Reactions: sk_reddy

sk_reddy

Feb 8, 2021
I received my passport over the weekend and submitted my passport at VFS today for PRTD. What is the processing time for PRTD , for my passport to be returned ?

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
Not more than 10 days.
Are you sure its no more than 10 days? I'm in a bit of a bind. I received a letter today saying I had been approved for a PRTD, and asking me to submit my passport to London VAC within 30 days. But I can't as I need to use the passport to travel in the next 4 weeks, and the VAC automated message says it will take up to 6 weeks to return the passport. By the time we return from our trip, the 30 days will have passed. What do I do?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure its no more than 10 days? I'm in a bit of a bind. I received a letter today saying I had been approved for a PRTD, and asking me to submit my passport to London VAC within 30 days. But I can't as I need to use the passport to travel in the next 4 weeks, and the VAC automated message says it will take up to 6 weeks to return the passport. By the time we return from our trip, the 30 days will have passed. What do I do?
Not the most ideal solution, but...are you able to return to Canada via the U.S.? If so, you could bypass the angst of the PRTD `game', but it would mean flying to the nearest U.S. airport that is closest to your nearest land PoE. You would need to enter Canada either in a private/personal vehicle (maybe a friend) or on foot. It's probably more of a hassle, but...it would [eventually] get you home.

It's crazy since an approved PRTD means that IRCC has acknowledged that you have met the Residency Obligation to maintain PR status. Having to wait for a VAC to then complete the process, is nuts...IMHO.

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
Not the most ideal solution, but...are you able to return to Canada via the U.S.? If so, you could bypass the angst of the PRTD `game', but it would mean flying to the nearest U.S. airport that is closest to your nearest land PoE. You would need to enter Canada either in a private/personal vehicle (maybe a friend) or on foot. It's probably more of a hassle, but...it would [eventually] get you home.

It's crazy since an approved PRTD means that IRCC has acknowledged that you have met the Residency Obligation to maintain PR status. Having to wait for a VAC to then complete the process, is nuts...IMHO.
Not traveling to Canada in next 4 week. Going on holiday to Portugal from UK. A holiday that has been booked for over a year. So my options now appear to be lose the holiday (for the whole family) or lose my PRTD. In terms of traveling to Canada, my plan was to book that once I have the PRTD. Nowhere in the PRTD application process is there mention of this 30 day passport submission window :mad:... or obviously I would have waited.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not traveling to Canada in next 4 week. Going on holiday to Portugal from UK. A holiday that has been booked for over a year. So my options now appear to be lose the holiday (for the whole family) or lose my PRTD. In terms of traveling to Canada, my plan was to book that once I have the PRTD. Nowhere in the PRTD application process is there mention of this 30 day passport submission window :mad:... or obviously I would have waited.
So, why would not having the PRTD impact your travel plans if you are NOT coming to Canada? It would only be used if returning to Canada and then, only to `appease' the commercial carrier. It is not really needed to `re-enter' Canada, because CBSA just needs to see something that indicates you are [still] a PR, which an expired PR Card would show, although it would likely take a little bit of time for the officer to verify that.

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
So, why would not having the PRTD impact your travel plans if you are NOT coming to Canada? It would only be used if returning to Canada and then, only to `appease' the commercial carrier. It is not really needed to `re-enter' Canada, because CBSA just needs to see something that indicates you are [still] a PR, which an expired PR Card would show, although it would likely take a little bit of time for the officer to verify that.
It's impacting my travel plans because I can't visit a foreign country without my passport. My passport cannot be both in my possession so I can travel with it and at the same time be with the VAC. I have to choose one or the other; either I don't go on a planned holiday or my PRTD application is compromised because I didn't get the passport to the VAC within the allotted 30 days.

The PRTD is needed to enter Canada (at least in my case) as there is no way to get form UK to Canada in a private vehicle and having two kids under age 10 makes the whole idea of flying to the States just to enter Canada well, unworkable.
If I wasn't a PR I could use my British passport to enter as a tourist, but as I am a PR I need either a valid PR card or a PRTD. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post here.

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
If anyone else has been able to submit their passport to a VAC outside of the 30 day allotted period, please let me know. Can I include a letter of explanation as to why I am submitting late? I've already written to the High Commision of Canada in London to ask for advice, and I have written to the VAC itself. If they get back to me I'll post here.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If anyone else has been able to submit their passport to a VAC outside of the 30 day allotted period, please let me know. Can I include a letter of explanation as to why I am submitting late? I've already written to the High Commision of Canada in London to ask for advice, and I have written to the VAC itself. If they get back to me I'll post here.
I doubt they are that rigid abourt the 30 days, but it's obviously at your own risk. You've done what you can, write a webform as well if you haven't, and when you return, submit your passport and hope.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's impacting my travel plans because I can't visit a foreign country without my passport. My passport cannot be both in my possession so I can travel with it and at the same time be with the VAC. I have to choose one or the other; either I don't go on a planned holiday or my PRTD application is compromised because I didn't get the passport to the VAC within the allotted 30 days.

The PRTD is needed to enter Canada (at least in my case) as there is no way to get form UK to Canada in a private vehicle and having two kids under age 10 makes the whole idea of flying to the States just to enter Canada well, unworkable.
If I wasn't a PR I could use my British passport to enter as a tourist, but as I am a PR I need either a valid PR card or a PRTD. If you have evidence to the contrary, please post here.
Are you aware that you could have applied for this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html#step1

Important information: If you are living outside Canada on a long-term basis, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD. Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:

• meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).

Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and request a multiple entry PRTD.

Multiple entry PRTDs cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport.
---
Unless you plan to relocate back to Canada, you might consider this option. Maybe send a web form to IRCC asking if you can modify your PRTD application. It doesn't solve your current [potential] problem, but could make life easier for future trips to Canada.

Good luck!

julies39

Jun 4, 2012
Are you aware that you could have applied for this:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html#step1

Important information: If you are living outside Canada on a long-term basis, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD. Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:

• meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).

Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and request a multiple entry PRTD.

Multiple entry PRTDs cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport.
---
Unless you plan to relocate back to Canada, you might consider this option. Maybe send a web form to IRCC asking if you can modify your PRTD application. It doesn't solve your current [potential] problem, but could make life easier for future trips to Canada.

Good luck!
Thanks. That is what I did. I applied for long term multiple entry PRTD with cover letter as instructed. It's the same process as applying for a single entry PRTD, you just include the cover letter and extra evidence. The letter I received saying a decision had been made (and that I need to submit my passport) does not say WHAT has been granted. I would only find out what has been granted once I get my passport back, but very likely they would grant the long term multiple entry PRTD as we are a textbook case, but who knows.