+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Rejected and Appeal opportunity not availed.

Nabi Ahmed

Oct 24, 2017
Hiii I need to have an opnion and the available options regarding my case.

In 2013 I landed in Calgary and got PR with family. Did not manage to stay in Canada due to some financial and family issues and came back to Pakistan. In 2018 when my PR expiry was near I applied for PRTD which was rejected as my previous stay tenure in Canada does not meet their requirements. I was asked to appeal and gave me 60 days. Due to Covid pandemic it was not availed.

Now what are the options I would have?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
You have lost your PR status, so your only option is to re-apply for PR, if you meet the requirements.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
You have lost your PR status, so your only option is to re-apply for PR, if you meet the requirements.
That is not actually true.

You will continue to be a PR forever unless You voluntarily renounce your PR status OR a formal decision is made in your case. The latter will happen if you try to apply for a PR card or attempt to enter the country.

Does it make a difference, not really. While you are still considered to be a PR resident, since you have failed to meet your PR obligations you will be unable to obtain a new PR card or PRTD. In theory, because you are still a PR this means you could show up at the border and a border officer cannot refuse you entry. (So if you have a US visa, you can travel there and walk to the border)

Nonetheless:
-You will not be able to get a SIN number or reactivate your previous one.
-You will not be able to get a driver's license.
-You will not be able to get healthcare
-You will not be able to get a job, etc, etc.
-You may not be able to find a place to live.
-Once you enter the country, the officer will most definitely open a case and a decision will be made in your case. Given that you did not meet your obligations this decision will invariably be to have you removed from the country and strip you of your PR status. At this point, you will no longer be a PR and will have to leave the country.

-There is also a very small chance that what I just described will not happen and you will be able to stay in Canada for 3 years. At the time, you will have met your PR obligations and will be able to get a new PR card issued. However, the odds of this happening are pretty slim and probably not worth it....

Bottom line, you failed to meet your PR obligations and should face the consequences. If you really want to come, find a way to reapply for PR. For this, you will have to first voluntarily renounce your PR status.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
That is not actually true.

You will continue to be a PR forever unless You voluntarily renounce your PR status OR a formal decision is made in your case. The latter will happen if you try to apply for a PR card or attempt to enter the country.

Does it make a difference, not really. While you are still considered to be a PR resident, since you have failed to meet your PR obligations you will be unable to obtain a new PR card or PRTD. In theory, because you are still a PR this means you could show up at the border and a border officer cannot refuse you entry. (So if you have a US visa, you can travel there and walk to the border)

Nonetheless:
-You will not be able to get a SIN number or reactivate your previous one.
-You will not be able to get a driver's license.
-You will not be able to get healthcare
-You will not be able to get a job, etc, etc.
-You may not be able to find a place to live.
-Once you enter the country, the officer will most definitely open a case and a decision will be made in your case. Given that you did not meet your obligations this decision will invariably be to have you removed from the country and strip you of your PR status. At this point, you will no longer be a PR and will have to leave the country.

-There is also a very small chance that what I just described will not happen and you will be able to stay in Canada for 3 years. At the time, you will have met your PR obligations and will be able to get a new PR card issued. However, the odds of this happening are pretty slim and probably not worth it....

Bottom line, you failed to meet your PR obligations and should face the consequences. If you really want to come, find a way to reapply for PR. For this, you will have to first voluntarily renounce your PR status.
Incorrect.

Read the thread again. OP applied for a PRTD and was refused and failed to appeal. PR status is gone.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Correct as far as it goes.

But it leaves out the fact that the denial of an application for a PR TD is a formal decision terminating PR status. The affected individual has right of appeal for sixty days following the decision. If an appeal is not timely made, when sixty days have passed PR status is terminated.

I applied for PRTD which was rejected as my previous stay tenure in Canada does not meet their requirements. I was asked to appeal and gave me 60 days . . . it was not availed.
As others have said: this individual is no longer a PR. For purposes of Canadian immigration, they are a Foreign National. Their options are now those of similarly situated FNs from the same home country.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Incorrect.

Read the thread again. OP applied for a PRTD and was refused and failed to appeal. PR status is gone.
You're right, I missed that part.

Had the person not applied for it and been refused, everything I said would stand.