+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD refused

Kiara70

Feb 27, 2020
I got my PR in 2009 with my family, we visited for a month and came back. We got our PR Cards issued but due to family obligations we could not return to Canada. I applied for PRTD valid for 2 years on turning 20 and since I was a minor and my parents took the decision to return to India, me and my sister's prtd was renewed. My sister moved to Canada soon after she got her visa but since I was in the middle of my under graduate Program, I visited Canada only in vacations and applied for the renewal of pr card during my first visit. I applied for the extension of my PRTD as only 5 months of my study was left after which I wanted to move to Canada for post graduation. But the extension was denied stating that I did not meet the RO. So I came to Canada before my initial PRTD expired and I have filed an appeal in IAD.
I recently got an email that PR Card for 1 year will be issued to me in 2-3 months and I have to pick it up when called.
Why are they asking me to pick up the card?
My father is not well currently, I wanted to be with him. If I leave the country now, before the pr card is issued, will I be able to get a PRTD for collecting my PR card?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Seems you have been given the opportunity , second chance , to now live in Canada so the inconvenience of collecting a card in person seems a small price to pay. Although I have no idea of your chances of getting yet another PRTD approved I would suspect the odds are slim to none given you already have been given this new opportunity to stay and meet the residency requirements.

Reactions: Kiara70

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. They issue 1-year PR cards when people are close to or have possibly not met the RO. It's common.

2. They ask you to pick it up to verify that you're actually in Canada and entitled to get the PR card.

3. You will not necessarily be granted a PRTD to pick up a PR card that was issued for only 1 year.

Reactions: Buletruck

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Largely agree with much of what others have offered.

Generally, however, as long as a PR was IN Canada within the previous year and has an appeal pending, a "special" PR Travel Document will be issued allowing the PR to come to Canada pending the appeal. Your circumstances are somewhat different than the situations in which this typically occurs, so it is not certain this will apply, but it seems likely.

(Reminder: what is "likely" can, nonetheless, be rather RISKY . . . the odds of a positive outcome playing Russian Roulette are very good, five out of six times no bullet in the head, but there is no doubt about how RISKY doing this is. What is an acceptable or unacceptable risk depends on the individual's personal priorities as well as the probabilities.)

Additionally, assuming you will be issued a special PR TD, whatever chance you have of a favourable outcome in the appeal, going abroad is likely to diminish those chances, and the more or the longer you are abroad, the more that is likely to diminish your chances. This aspect is also relevant if you wait to get the one-year PR card and are deciding whether to travel abroad using it, and if so, for how long.

And, of course, there are many other details which can influence how this or that aspect will actually go.