+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD refusal

Nov 3, 2017
Hello!

I have a PR card which expired in 2012. I applied for a PRTD but my application was rejected. Now I want to apply for an eTA but the last time I tried to do so I was told that I need to sort out my PR status first; either renounce it or figure out if I have the right to keep it. Now that I got rejected for a PRTD do I still meed to submit a renouncing application or they have already changed my status in their system and I can apply for an eTA straight away?

Also once in Canada as a tourist can I apply for a standard visa which will allowe me to live and work in the country from Canada or this process must be initiated from my home country?

And one last question, my boyfriend lives in Canada and has a citizenship. If I go to visit him as a tourist if we live together are there any programs for couples which will geant me the right to legally work in Canada?

Thank you for your time!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Now that your PRTD has been refused, you should be able to apply for an ETA. It's possible it may take a few weeks for the PRTD refusal to register so that you can apply for the ETA. I expect you'll need to wait at least 30 days since that's the time you have to appeal the PRTD decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by a standard visa that allows you to work and live in Canada. Obtaining a work permit is a difficult and involved process. If you want to work and live in Canada, you would need to find an employer willing to offer you a full time job. That employer would then need to obtain an approved LMIA. If the LMIA is approved, you would then be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. It's typically extremely difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process - it's very long (4-6 months typically), expensive, requires the employer to prove no Canadian could be found for the role - and has no guarantee of approval.

Living with your boyfriend does not entitle you to work in Canada. To get a work permit through your boyfriend - you would first need to either get married or live together continuously for a full year to become common law. He would then have to sponsor you for PR and include an open work permit application with the sponsorship package. Around four months after the completed application package is received, the OWP will be approved.

Nov 3, 2017
Now that your PRTD has been refused, you should be able to apply for an ETA. It's possible it may take a few weeks for the PRTD refusal to register so that you can apply for the ETA. I expect you'll need to wait at least 30 days since that's the time you have to appeal the PRTD decision.

I'm not sure what you mean by a standard visa that allows you to work and live in Canada. Obtaining a work permit is a difficult and involved process. If you want to work and live in Canada, you would need to find an employer willing to offer you a full time job. That employer would then need to obtain an approved LMIA. If the LMIA is approved, you would then be able to apply for a closed work permit tied to that specific employer. It's typically extremely difficult to find employers willing to go through the LMIA process - it's very long (4-6 months typically), expensive, requires the employer to prove no Canadian could be found for the role - and has no guarantee of approval.

Living with your boyfriend does not entitle you to work in Canada. To get a work permit through your boyfriend - you would first need to either get married or live together continuously for a full year to become common law. He would then have to sponsor you for PR and include an open work permit application with the sponsorship package. Around four months after the completed application package is received, the OWP will be approved.

Thank you so much for your reply!

I meant a normal visa, I was just wondering mainly if I go to Canada as a tourist can I apply for such visa from there or I need to do that from my home country?

ManSosa

Nov 19, 2023
Hi there, can you please tell US the reason why your PRTD was refused? I am about to apply and my resident card was expired few years ago .