+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PRTD Question

JudeVFrancis

Apr 11, 2019
Hi all,
I have a couple of questions:

Q1.I received a job offer with a company in Canada with a start date of January 7, 2020 and I am planning on doing a hard landing in Vancouver, BC on Dec 27, 2019 and get the landing procedures done. Can I start start my employment with the company on January 7, 2020 with my COPR and SIN number or do I need the PR card to commence work?

2. My initial plan was to do the soft landing at Vancouver, BC during the first week of December, apply for the PR card and then leave to India for a month for my vacation. But I read online that I need the PR card to enter Canada again or I can apply for a PRTD from my home country and then use it to enter Canada again. Can you please let me regarding the processing times for both the cases and if those are viable options? If both of them would take more than a month to get I would not be able to meet the start date with my new employer in Canada.If this doesn't work I feel the hard landing on December 27, 2019 would be the better option in my case. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,
I have a couple of questions:

Q1.I received a job offer with a company in Canada with a start date of January 7, 2020 and I am planning on doing a hard landing in Vancouver, BC on Dec 27, 2019 and get the landing procedures done. Can I start start my employment with the company on January 7, 2020 with my COPR and SIN number or do I need the PR card to commence work?

2. My initial plan was to do the soft landing at Vancouver, BC during the first week of December, apply for the PR card and then leave to India for a month for my vacation. But I read online that I need the PR card to enter Canada again or I can apply for a PRTD from my home country and then use it to enter Canada again. Can you please let me regarding the processing times for both the cases and if those are viable options? If both of them would take more than a month to get I would not be able to meet the start date with my new employer in Canada.If this doesn't work I feel the hard landing on December 27, 2019 would be the better option in my case. Please do correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
1. You don't need the PR card to start working.

2. No one can guarantee that there would be enough time for you to get your PR card or a PRTD to travel back to Canada. Skipping the soft landing is probably your best bet.

Reactions: JudeVFrancis

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
all you “technically” need to work is a SIN number. Employers should be able to determine you are a PR by the number. If the want further proof, show them the COPR. There can be a delay in CBSA processing your landing papers that can hold you up at Service Canada, but not often. You should have plenty of time given your landing date and start date to get your SIN.

JudeVFrancis

Apr 11, 2019
all you “technically” need to work is a SIN number. Employers should be able to determine you are a PR by the number. If the want further proof, show them the COPR. There can be a delay in CBSA processing your landing papers that can hold you up at Service Canada, but not often. You should have plenty of time given your landing date and start date to get your SIN.
Thanks!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You could also sign up for MSP if you remain in Canada. Would warn you that if you have not secured permanent accommodations you may struggle. The week of Christmas or January 1st is not a common move-in date.